Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.tanabe-usa.com/coilovers/s-sII.asp

I had them installed at Dynamic Turbo and they took forever doing this, but got it all done right.

Pros:
Ride is actually quite smooth so far. A little harsh over some bumps but quite smooth. Spring rates are not too bad at all. I have not touched or played with the dampening on the coilover yet. They came out of the box on 4/8 in the rear and 2/4 in the front. This setting is fine, but I will venture to play with them setting wise this weekend. The drop i have set at 2 finger gap with stock 17's (which are for sale with tires).

Cons:
Adjustment knob for the rear is way under the car. It is a knob that can be easily broken or coroded off (by looks and location). Other than that, I need a rear camber kit or adjustment. I have some negative camber.

Update:
Installed my new wheels on the drop, and the camber issue was still pretty bad. Rolled over to a suspension shop in my area, and they adjusted the camber to 1.4 degrees in the rear using the Tanabe Mounts. So now I guess I am ok.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Squareback

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,141 Posts
Nice review, how do they work in the corners?

Was it the 441 shop just South of Broward? Did you buy them there? How muich did it cost to put them on?

I will honk if I see you on the road, my brother-in-law lives in Hidden Hammock Estates on Wiles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Squareback said:
Nice review, how do they work in the corners?

Was it the 441 shop just South of Broward? Did you buy them there? How muich did it cost to put them on?

I will honk if I see you on the road, my brother-in-law lives in Hidden Hammock Estates on Wiles.
Install was $290 with brakes & rotors

Corners are great. Way less roll.

Bought them from www.dezod.com for $995
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,219 Posts
djlutchi said:
http://www.tanabe-usa.com/coilovers/s-sII.asp

I had them installed at Dynamic Turbo and they took forever doing this, but got it all done right.

Pros:
Ride is actually quite smooth so far. A little harsh over some bumps but quite smooth. Spring rates are not too bad at all. I have not touched or played with the dampening on the coilover yet. They came out of the box on 4/8 in the rear and 2/4 in the front. This setting is fine, but I will venture to play with them setting wise this weekend. The drop i have set at 2 finger gap with stock 17's (which are for sale with tires).

Cons:
Adjustment knob for the rear is way under the car. It is a knob that can be easily broken or coroded off (by looks and location). Other than that, I need a rear camber kit or adjustment. I have some negative camber.

some negative camber is good so dont worry about it to much. If you are very concerned with tire wear, its toe you should be worried about it. I dont know why everyone associates poor tire wear with camber. Poor tire wear comes from aggressive toe settings. The only time camber will become a major issue for tire wear is if you have -2.5+ degree's. For the drop you are running you shouldnt have anything more than -1.4 degree's of camber which is actually good for the handling of your car. If you have no negative camber, you will sacrifice handling.

At your drop, set your rear toe to 1/16th of an inch toed IN and you will resolve your tire wear issues. Your front Toe should be 1/16th of an inch toed IN as well. If you run a more aggressive drop, toe the front in 1/8th of an inch. (my setttings).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Malekreza11 said:
some negative camber is good so dont worry about it to much. If you are very concerned with tire wear, its toe you should be worried about it. I dont know why everyone associates poor tire wear with camber. Poor tire wear comes from aggressive toe settings. The only time camber will become a major issue for tire wear is if you have -2.5+ degree's. For the drop you are running you shouldnt have anything more than -1.4 degree's of camber which is actually good for the handling of your car. If you have no negative camber, you will sacrifice handling.

At your drop, set your rear toe to 1/16th of an inch toed IN and you will resolve your tire wear issues. Your front Toe should be 1/16th of an inch toed IN as well. If you run a more aggressive drop, toe the front in 1/8th of an inch. (my setttings).
Great info. + rep.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pics coming soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Malekreza11 said:
some negative camber is good so dont worry about it to much. If you are very concerned with tire wear, its toe you should be worried about it. I dont know why everyone associates poor tire wear with camber. Poor tire wear comes from aggressive toe settings. The only time camber will become a major issue for tire wear is if you have -2.5+ degree's. For the drop you are running you shouldnt have anything more than -1.4 degree's of camber which is actually good for the handling of your car. If you have no negative camber, you will sacrifice handling.

At your drop, set your rear toe to 1/16th of an inch toed IN and you will resolve your tire wear issues. Your front Toe should be 1/16th of an inch toed IN as well. If you run a more aggressive drop, toe the front in 1/8th of an inch. (my setttings).
I have 2.25 degrees of negative camber.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,219 Posts
djlutchi said:
I have 2.25 degrees of negative camber.

at the height you mentioned, that is impossible. THe alignment machine is not calibrated properly giving you the extreme numbers.

Go elsewhere and ask the manager to see when they had the machine calibrated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Malekreza11 said:
at the height you mentioned, that is impossible. THe alignment machine is not calibrated properly giving you the extreme numbers.

Go elsewhere and ask the manager to see when they had the machine calibrated.
This was a 'quick camber guage' from Ingalls.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,219 Posts
then the gauge is slightly off.


with a clear 2 finger gap, your camber should be somewhere along the lines of -1.4 degree's. I have about half a finger gap and my camber is -1.7 degree's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Malekreza11 said:
then the gauge is slightly off.


with a clear 2 finger gap, your camber should be somewhere along the lines of -1.4 degree's. I have about half a finger gap and my camber is -1.7 degree's.
Do you have pics of your camber from the profile and rear end persay??? I will take pics of mine as post them too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
djlutchi said:
Do you have pics of your camber from the profile and rear end persay??? I will take pics of mine as post them too.
Some pics of the camber
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,219 Posts
are your camber plates maxed out in those pics? Were they installed correctly?

That is an ODD amount of camber to have at your height. From the pics, it looks like you are lowered alot more than you mentioned. Or you have really skinny fingers.

Based on the pics and the 100's of suspensions i have done, you shouldnt have any more than -1.8 degree's of camber. But for some reason it looks like you have alot more. I would make sure everything is ok. I will post a pic of my car for you to see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Malekreza11 said:
are your camber plates maxed out in those pics? Were they installed correctly?

That is an ODD amount of camber to have at your height. From the pics, it looks like you are lowered alot more than you mentioned. Or you have really skinny fingers.

Based on the pics and the 100's of suspensions i have done, you shouldnt have any more than -1.8 degree's of camber. But for some reason it looks like you have alot more. I would make sure everything is ok. I will post a pic of my car for you to see.
Not even sure if they installed them correctly. Please post your pics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Posted Pics.......slammed on Tanabe. Rollin on SSR GT3s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
bah! my shop called tanabeUSA and the SS type IIs are on backorder!!!!! 2 months?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well just to update, I have about 10K miles on them and the rear left shock is leaking oil everywhere and sagging like crazy. I am crazy madd!!!!!!!
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top