Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After having the car for about a year, I noticed that my rear passenger side was higher than the driver side. I measured 3 fingers on the rear driver side and 4 fingers on the rear passenger side.

So I came to a conclusion that my driver side shock is blown. Especially about 2 months ago when I had to change my rear tires, the driver side tire was worse (had some wires showing) than the passenger side, even though both shows uneven tire wear/bald on the inside.

So I decided to change the shocks and also think might as well lower the car. After anxiously waiting, the parts came in and installed. But to my surprise, I still have the same problem.

Now after the car being driven for about 2 weeks, this is the amount of gap that I have:
Driver-front: no finger at all
Passenger-front: about 0.25" gap
Driver-rear: 0.5" gap
Passenger-rear: 1" gap

Anyone have any idea why? Btw, I'm running billstein shocks and tanabe nf210 springs.

I'll post some pics later on.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I checked carfax history and it doesn't have any accidents. Here's the pictures:
right side:

left side:

rear-left: the one higher

rear-right:

front-left:

front-right:

·
Maxed out Rep Club Member
14,279 Posts
I have the same problem with mine. I am going to get coilovers when I can afford them because it drives me nuts!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
mine doesnt have this problem but i have seen other cars with this issue after lowering.

different tires on the back??

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
Doesn't seem like that big of a deal... Get some adjustable coilovers if it bothers you that much.

·
Registered
220 Posts
there is constant extra weight on that side because ur the one driving in it all the time. now if u had a passenger with u for every time u drove the car, then there would be no problem. you get it?? the car was built to have extra weight on the driver side.

·
Registered
250 Posts
mine is not like that.. its even..

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
there is constant extra weight on that side because ur the one driving in it all the time. now if u had a passenger with u for every time u drove the car, then there would be no problem. you get it?? the car was built to have extra weight on the driver side.
If that was the case then it should sit higher on the driver side without any people in the car..

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It should. but I heard people saying that its the set up in japan, but when they convert the car to left hand drive, they didn't put that into account.

But the main w/ my car is that only the rear-right that is jacked up. The front right and left seems to have the same amount of gap. So its not like jacked up on one side (left).

Does anyone have any idea what other parts/components that might come into play with ride height?

·
Maxed out Rep Club Member
14,279 Posts
It should. but I heard people saying that its the set up in japan, but when they convert the car to left hand drive, they didn't put that into account.
But the main w/ my car is that only the rear-right that is jacked up. The front right and left seems to have the same amount of gap. So its not like jacked up on one side (left).

Does anyone have any idea what other parts/components that might come into play with ride height?
That would make sense.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with the car being right hand drive originally. If that was true every IS300 would have this problem. Was this picture taken with a full tank of gas?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, about 3/4 of a tank, and just to clarify, the shocks and springs are less than a month old. And I had the same problem even before the car was lowered (as stated in the original post).

·
Registered
220 Posts
i have the same deal. in fact everyone does, its just a matter of if its more noticable or not.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
maybe the springs are saggin?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
not to be a dick but considering you have curb rash on your wheels and you have different tires on the back of your car im going to assume that you beat the fuck out of your car....

im gonna vote that a suspension component is messed up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If the springs are practically brand new, then they were installed improperly.

This is assuming BOTH rear springs are the same... same height and same Part Number

The coil spring may not be rotated into the proper position or there is a issue somewhere else in the coilover assembly. FYI, stock lexus "struts" are coilovers.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To Jaidedeye, I bought the car used, and the wheels were like that since the day I bought it. The dealer changed out the front tires but the rear ones still had a good amount of thread left that time. So I changed the rear ones recently (3-4 mth ago), hence the different in brand.

Like I said in the first post, before it was lowered, I already have that uneven problem.

Here's some pic of the rear-left of the spring component:

and rear-right:

I'm pretty sure I put the spring perch the right way, because I had to do it twice. The first time it was upside down and the car had stock height, so I re-do it put it the other way around.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts