Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. just wanted to share how my IS compares against other ones.. with different set-ups.. well, as most of you already know, i have the srt and hiper combo.. cruznis300 has the rmm intake/exhaust, but is weighed down by a custom stereo system.. compared to him.. im about 1/2 a second faster in the quarter mile..timeslips to prove it.. 1/2 a second is equivalent to about 4 or 5 carlengths..

another friend of mine (whose name i wont mention) has the 5zigen exhaust and srt combo.. i didn't race him at the track but on the street.. i dont know how many carlengths i beat him by...but it was definitely a kill.. sorry bro.. i dont know why I pull on him so hard..maybe its the exhaust, maybe its his driving, maybe its the way he broke the car in..regardless, me and cruzn's setups are both faster.. cruzn was barely pullin on him... more like walking him... i would guestimate that after a 1/4 mile, cruzn would have won by a carlength and a half.... and i dont really think it could be his driving...we all have automatics and we all raced in drive mode.. just to make sure there weren't any mistakes made... thats all for that topic..

i stated in a few posts back that i thought my car could run mid 14s... well, i couldn't get those times.. my best was a 15.2.. although i still think my car is quicker than that...i think alot of it has to do with the track and having an automatic transmission... but then again, i could be wrong.. my friend with the gsr ran a 14.8, and all tonight..i was beating him in every gear... taking him off the launch, and maintaining the lead until we would decide to slow down... i also took a few mustangs this weekend.. a fixed up subaru, stuck with a supercharged civic, stuck with a civic hatchback w/ a gsr motor... and so on..

yall that live in new england... you guys need to come check out the PIKE... its getting NUTS out here... i mean absolutely CRAZY!!! there were fixed up rides at every stoplight for 3 miles on both sides... there were hot rods, imports, domestics, lots of bikes... even some girl racers.. and some of them were hot..

cruzn..remember those girls that got out of the red celica at Roys.. OMG.. that one girl was FLY!!!

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
OK Guys it's me it's me...
Im the Slow MoFo that Tical spanked
I was looking at the 5Zigen and it looks more straight thru that the HKS and RMM. I do believe that I am losing a bit more backpressure and Low end Torque than you guys. I think i am gonna put back on my Factory Exhaust for a week and see how the car drives. with just the SRT (experiment) . If thats the case, The 5Zigen will be of more use once (when) i go turbo. I also filled up on cheap quality 93 gas. (not the Exxon i usually use
) But I must say.. maybe It is the Reflash & Trac ECU I am having probs with. Maybe I need it bad. I dunno what voodoo Hoffman did on ur IS Tical, but I am in awe! I have never seen anyone's IS that quick? Im coming up on 3,000 miles so maybe after I change the oil and the engine gets some more miles, it may pull better. Cruzin was pullin on me not as hard as you think. The first time we raced and I got the jump on him from a rolling start... I held the lead till we slowed. When we raced from the stoplight... He got the jump and maitained that 1/2 to 1 car length on me as we passed Tweeters. I just eased off after a while since i knew i wasnt gonna pass him. (did a paisley
) Also Cruz also got the Dunlops with the slightly wider contact patch. Maybe the RMM stuff works well together?? I dunno if all that stuff factors in. Mind you Im not making excuses, just trying to figure out the logical steps and scenarios here.

Also I got the SRT Internal piggyback ECU, I dont have the fatty external one like yours. I dunno if that makes a difference? I dunno if it's the exact piggyback? It more like Ted's i guess?

Lastly what exactly does the reflash do to your ECU? I mean if I disconnect the battery and the car has to relearn the Air/Fuel ratios, what benefit does the reflash have: what does that do that the disconnect doesnt? Thats why i was askin why do you have to disconnect the battery besides as a safety precaution. Also Does it matter if I drive with TRAC OFF? How does a NEW TRAC ECU help you if you drive with TRAC OFF anyways? Answers to these dilemmas would be nice.

Rich

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmmm... where to start..

i dont think the size of our piggybacks makes any differences... they should perform equally...

when i said cruzn was beating you by whatever amount... i was just relaying what he had told me... im sure you know better since you were the one actually racing.. not me..

to my knowledge..the reflash/trac ecu upgrade fixes the hesitation problem the car has..mainly from rolling starts.. i was told that the old trac unit or whatever would engage too sensitively... and would even engage w/o the trac light coming on... so the driver wouldn't even know that the traction was engaging...which felt like a hesitation in acceleration... does this make sense??

resetting the ecu, as far as i know, has nothing to do with the reflash... i think it will allow the computer to relearn your driving habits.. if this will make your car any quicker... i dont know..

from the day i bought my car... i broke it in for about 500 miles.. during this time.. i drove it very easily for the most part.. i didnt exceed 75-80 more than a few times.. but i would occasionally push the car in 2nd from 3K-redline..and then continue to push it in 3rd to redline... about 10-20 times.. i dont' know if this is the correct way to break in a car.. but when comparing my stock IS to another stock IS.. for some odd reason.. i would always pull on it.. w/o any mods done.. one thing that i have noticed is that i dont get the same amount of gas mileage other IS owners get... my IS seems to guzzle gas much more than others... could this be the reason why my car is quicker?? i dont know.. maybe it is.. maybe my car uses more gas.. and in return..makes my car a little quicker.. these are all just guesses.. i dont have the technical expertise in any of this.. i just know what i've done.. and how my car has reacted...

i hope this helps bro... also, are you going to englishtown this sunday??? i might be going down with ted..in his car..

rich..if you are going.. do u think you could pick susie up in nyc..and bring her to englishtown... ???

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lastly.. if you drive with the trac off.. the new trac unit wont affect anything.. it will only affect the way the car acts when the trac is on.. i always drive with trac off... the only time i actually leave it on is in inclimate weather.. severe rain, snow, etc.. otherwise.. i leave it off..just in case... i have to floor it... i hate it when u floor it..hit a slight patch of dirt and the trac comes on... although..with the reflash and new trac unit.. it isn't half as sensitive as it was before... i can even floor it in the rain... and not have the trac come on all the time... makes driving much easier...

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
Yeah I wanna head down to Englishtown this Sunday too. I can pick Susie up if she in NY. not a problem. You guys just have to let me know when and where? Dude you better represent with ur IS this time... No excuses after you see all the nice rides... I dont wanna hear... "Damn.. I shoulda brought my IS"

But it all on you i guess and if you up for the drive.

Im just trying to get down to the bottom of the slowness deal.. Maybe your car DOES run richer? I guess if i cant muster anymore bolt on speed.. i just gonna have to be content on looking good
Besides after that Type R incident, i dont really care to hit 120 on a crowded strip. IF it happened to him it could happen to anyone. (Wrong place wrong time deal) It's all good though... I enjoy the company and the shi'ttalkin and jus kickin it.
Otherwise I'd keep my azz in NYC!! Im working on a designing a logo for the "club" as per Ted.

Rich

1 - 6 of 6 Posts