Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been off the forum here for quite a while for one reason or another, but I figured I'd get back on here since first gen IS 300s are getting rarer every day, and many are in tough shape (living in Dallas, there are quite a few junky first gens around)

Had mine for 7 years, 230k miles on it now (bought it with 100k), been autocrossing since I bought it, and this year can finally do a full season of track events too. I spend way to much time and money keeping this thing going but it's a fantastic platform. Daily it ~200 miles a week, flog the hell out of it on the weekends. Drivetrain is original except the cylinder head (long story) and clutch.

Fortune auto 500 series coilovers with swift springs (I've got almost 70k miles on them an no leaking, still work great, excellent product), 32mm hotchkis front sway bar, dezod green header, greddy cat back, supra big brakes, corbeau seats (I have both fronts now) Enkei RPF1s for track stuff, stocks for street, lots of Figs/Super-pro bushings everywhere.

Best mod is steering wheel volume, converted from the e-shift buttons (car is a factory manual) but with a converter module and a few auto car parts they can be programmed to run volume on an aftermarket radio (if anyone actually wants to do this I can do a DIY post)

I've been driving and fixing this car for years, I've tried tons of aftermarket parts and companies, lots of different suspension setups and general mods, hoping to pass on some of my experiences to other owners to keep these these old things on the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
sweet! what pads are you running? I use to track my first IS a lot back when I got it new to me in 2005. I'm on my second IS and I'm slowly making it track worthy have you done anything to correct rear bumper steer? or do you run a pretty conservative static ride height? what's your track wheel size and offset? what size tires?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
That's awesome that you daily and track your car. I've been a fan of the IS since they came out and now I own 2 and considering getting another. :grin:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sweet! what pads are you running? I use to track my first IS a lot back when I got it new to me in 2005. I'm on my second IS and I'm slowly making it track worthy have you done anything to correct rear bumper steer? or do you run a pretty conservative static ride height? what's your track wheel size and offset? what size tires?

G-loc R10 pads front and rear, they've done well for both track and autox, as far as bump steer, I've just lived with it, my ride height is as low as it can go without the front upper control arms hitting the shock towers on full compression. Although i will admit i havent really noticed the bump steer. running 255/40 r17 tires, re71r for autox, falken rt615k+ for track, 17x8.5 +40 wheels, they fit over the brakes by a mm or so, and only required a fair bit of fender roll for fit. love the way it drives on the setup

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
G-loc R10 pads front and rear, they've done well for both track and autox, as far as bump steer, I've just lived with it, my ride height is as low as it can go without the front upper control arms hitting the shock towers on full compression. Although i will admit i havent really noticed the bump steer. running 255/40 r17 tires, re71r for autox, falken rt615k+ for track, 17x8.5 +40 wheels, they fit over the brakes by a mm or so, and only required a fair bit of fender roll for fit. love the way it drives on the setup
I went r10 too, just waiting to be put in. what road courses have you done? I'll be using rsr rr's 215/45 on 17x8 +28 the rr's run wide, close to 225. how do you like the rt615k+? what other suspension mods have you done? my original jic flt a2 would have been on their 3rd rebuild so I just decided to go feal 441+

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went r10 too, just waiting to be put in. what road courses have you done? I'll be using rsr rr's 215/45 on 17x8 +28 the rr's run wide, close to 225. how do you like the rt615k+? what other suspension mods have you done? my original jic flt a2 would have been on their 3rd rebuild so I just decided to go feal 441+

I've done Motorsport Ranch, Cresson, TX on a bunch of configurations more times than I can count, I've driven COTA in my other car, and I've done Texas motor speedway infield course a few times and a bunch of fun laps on the oval. Theyre rebuilding Eagles Canyon right now and LGmotorsports is supposed to be building another track up north of dallas.

The RT615k+s I really like on track, they suck for autox tho. on track they get to temp pretty fast, and stay consistent lap after lap, its tough to overdrive them, and good god they are cheap. $620 for a set of 255s, and they hold up to the track abuse, dont wear down super fast.

running figs bushings everywhere, Truhart Rear LCAs, Fortune auto 500s with 14k/12k swift springs, a 32mm hotchkis front sway on the stiffest setting, and a stock rear sway bar (with the hotchkis rear bar the rear end was really loose, especially under hard braking)

these cars are a ton of fun on the track, but the stock front brakes are pretty terrible, I cooked both front calipers and rotors a couple years ago, they just arent up to stopping such a heavy car.

·
Registered
754 Posts
good to know. i was looking for timken and OEM wheel bearings online when i did my hubs (i blasted and re-coated my stock ones); i couldnt believe how many no name bearings and hubs were out there. honestly, id rather keep the old OEM worn out stuff than try my hand with low quality stuff.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I also can't wait to see/hear more from this build. Seems very similar to mine except that mine is only used for fun duty on the street, not daily. Looks great. Thanks for the specs on the tires, etc. I've been wanting to run something wider than my current 225 tires.

I'm actually heading to the track this coming weekend. Have recently added FRS Diff, Apexi SAFCII, and a homemade ghetto diffuser.

Here's the link to mine:
https://www.my.is/forums/f219/diamond-rough-slow-02-5spd-build-593113/

·
Registered
242 Posts
Welcome here man, You are lucky to have access to all these racing tracks, in my region there is almost nothing and the few we have does'nt offer track days often and the tarmac is in badshape, Weather sucks here.. It is awesome to see this much of interest for an 15 to 20 years old car. I love mine, currently under total restauration. Next month I lay down a new paint on her. Can't wait for winter to get the f000ck out

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that looks like the hub shank sheared off. were you by chance running something other than an OEM hub?
Yes, bought from a supplier claiming OEM quality bearings and spindles, bearings were OE Koyo, but the spindles were junk as it turns out. if it doesnt come in a toyota/lexus package, i'm not using it

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yikes! That hub shearing off must've been an intense on track experience!
I lucked out really, it was going to happen sometime, and it chose the track to go. I had just dipped 2 tires into the dirt at corner exit, was crossing over the track setting up for the next corner when it let go. thought I blew a tire initially. thankfully no body damage though.

the racetrack is probably the best place to have a failure, everyone around you is paying attention, has some car control skills and is watching out for anything. If a failure like this happened on the road I'd immediately get hit by some idiot in a honda pilot texting or whatever. sure woke me up at 80 mph tho

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
it was going to happen sometime, and it chose the track to go.
Unless you hit a curb, you'd probably never load the hubs up on the street the way you do at the track. I suspect these kinds of sub-standard barely good enough parts are everywhere but because street driving really doesn't load up the parts the way track driving does, they work adequately.

I 100% agree with your OEM only stance. I won't even use aftermarket ballpoints these days.

the racetrack is probably the best place to have a failure,
It depends on the track too. My local track has minimal runoff room. There are gravel traps but plenty of people still find hard things to run into. I had a big off at VIR once. If it had happened at my local track, I'd have totaled the car. As it was, I just had to vacuum all the grass out of the interior.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts