Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just got my AVH-P4000DVD installed. My factory deck was skipping everything, so i decided to pick up something in replacement that looked clean and wasn't too expensive. Well my search ended up with this unit. So far, the unit is great. As a user I have a couple quams:

1 - The 'Pioneer' demo always runs when I 'turn off' the deck. The demo just goes through all the possible sequences of the unit. I hope there is a way to disable it, but i haven't really done research on it as of yet.

2 - User Interface. The interface works well, but its so simple and just not as pretty as say the AVIC-D3. However, since this unit is half the price, i can live with a less fancy GUI.

3 - Doesn't play/recognize AVI, MPG files off the bat. Basically, I have to burn things to DVD as DVD video files in order for it to play. I was hoping that the USB attachment would read everything, but its just good for audio files.

Overall, I am happy. The unit was mounted with American International kit, and it looks pretty clean. As you can see from the picture there is a difference in texture, but its tight fitting, and the texture difference isn't as noticable in person, so i can definetly recommend it.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
3 - Doesn't play/recognize AVI, MPG files off the bat. Basically, I have to burn things to DVD as DVD video files in order for it to play. I was hoping that the USB attachment would read everything, but its just good for audio files.
That's typical for now. Same with my Kenwood DNX7100. It is DivX certified, but has to be off a DVD. :(

Can you spray paint the trim piece to black? Might match better and also fill out some of the texture?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly, i don't really mind the difference, as i said its not that noticeable when there isn't a camera flash on it. I am cool with it.

This unit is also DIVX certified. I have no clue how that works. Do I just burn DIVX files onto a DVD-RW and off i go? Where do i even find DIVX material?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the AVIC-D3, and I have pretty much the same complaints as far as the unit reading different formats goes.

For DIVX playback search google for "Free DIVX Converter"

DivX Video Player - DivX Video Codec - DivX Converter has a converter that is free to use for 15 days, but there are others available that don't require you to pay to use them.

Also, you may want to check out the forums at AVIC411.com. That's were I learned to create DIVX files and burn them to a disc properly. You may also be able to find the answer to your demo start up question.

Good luck.

PM Me if you have any other questions or need some help.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thanks for the advice. I figured out the stupid demo thing.

does that one tilt up for a better viewing angle?
No it doesn't. But luckily for us, the angle of viewing on the IS300 on a flat screen is great. Personally I could have gotten a Clarion unit that tilts for the same price, but i would perfer less working pieces that could break. Just my thought.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Im in the market for one,we had this unit on sale here for $498!! But the installer looked at the IS and said the unit will be too low!! Get something with tilt or even a single din!! I dont like the single dins though!! Does the screen bother u...can u see properly?? i guess my friends in the back would enjoy it more than front ;)
let me know if u dont mind....thanks

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Persian,
No viewing problems whatsoever. Great viewing for all in the car. Like I said, I kind of perfer less mechanical pieces, so a tilting screen to me just seems like another piece that could break. I'm really enjoying the screen, esp the USB option for music which is real nice. No need for CDs ever.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Persian,
No viewing problems whatsoever. Great viewing for all in the car. Like I said, I kind of perfer less mechanical pieces, so a tilting screen to me just seems like another piece that could break. I'm really enjoying the screen, esp the USB option for music which is real nice. No need for CDs ever.

thanks for the info! So Is there usb input in front of it?? i didnt see it!! maybe its me...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am looking for this exact unit. Did you install this your self or did you get in professionally installed? If professionally how much was it?

What's your opinion on it so far? Have you hooked up the ipod or sirius?

·
Registered
355 Posts
im looking at getting the same unit. my cd player is jammed up and saw this one at a good buy. For those that are interested, ight now these are on sale at circuit city for $365.00 if you look online.

·
Registered
57 Posts
im looking at getting the same unit. my cd player is jammed up and saw this one at a good buy. For those that are interested, ight now these are on sale at circuit city for $365.00 if you look online.
I just went and bought this at circuit city for $365. They will match the online price in stores. I also got the ipod cable.

My order has been placed for the harness and jdm dashkit so hopefully in the next few weeks I will get this installed. I will probably add sirius to it later as well if I like the unit. I am pretty excited right now!

·
Registered
594 Posts
That's typical for now. Same with my Kenwood DNX7100. It is DivX certified, but has to be off a DVD. :(

Can you spray paint the trim piece to black? Might match better and also fill out some of the texture?
I removed mine (single din), sanded it, then covered it with a two part bumper repair plastic, sanded to shape, primed, painted, and cleared with a matt clear coat. it looks great. If you're interested I'll post pics.

Z

·
Registered
174 Posts
looks good bro... i just recently installed the 6000 model and it looks great :D i should snap a pic of it, except i had to take it out, and most likely send it back to pioneer, as the disc drive stopped working properly... i had to pry it open to get my cds back :(

the only other option is to remove the cd drive, which the only downside would be that i lose dvd functionality for long road trips... but then thats where i'd hide the MP3 thingy... and without the cd drive, i could probably mock up some kind deal where when i hit the eject button and the screen pulls down, thats where my ipod would sit as well, ready to pull out and put to my computer :D

... and since i have a 3.5 inch metal bay to work with... i wonder if i could make it all fit.. and if not all, then either the ipod controller and display teh ipod, or the ipod, and hide the controller... hmm... ideas ideas...

..sorry, thinking 'aloud'...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks great and for it being half the price of the D3 its not bad :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts