Lexus IS Forum banner

241 - 260 of 296 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Well I've come to the conclusion that my Dakota tach box is defective. I tried everything from switching the ground location to wiggling the wires to the box to see if it was a lose connection while observing the tach and nothing. It's like the tach needle just twitches at random.
LO 21 and I hooked ours up the exact same way and he hasn't had an issue with his tach.
So my last step was to order a new Dakota box to see if my theory is correct. I'll report my findings once I install the new box and if it still does it I guess I'll have a Dakota box up for sale. lol

·
Registered
595 Posts
Well I got my new Dakota and while removing the old Dakota I noticed that the ground wire to it was very loose. I was so sure that might have been the problem. I went a head and installed the new box and it "was" working perfectly for a while and then it did it again. However the problem pretty much went away almost entirely. It doesn't do it as frequent as when I had the older box installed, but I think it had all to do with the ground and not so much the Dakota box. I called Phoenix tuning where I purchased the Dakota and they told me that the Dakota's tend to do that and that they have seen it many times before. I've chosen just to live with it and let it be.

Here's a pic of the Dakota tucked behind the cluster.

·
Registered
595 Posts
BTW if anyone is interested on the extra Dakota digital tach interface box I have, just shoot me a PM.

·
Blue Devil
4,671 Posts
relentless man that DC5ROY, relentless man.. :)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Alright, I do not have this cluster but the TRD one. With information provided in this thread i wired up the oil pressure sensor, but i am not getting the "response" i was expecting. I spoke with a toyota technician and he said it is normal for the 2jz to read low oil levels of 1-2 at idle and 3-4 underload.

Investigating further i found this youtube video where it appears this guy has oil levels a little more of what i expected, although it didnt appear that there was much movement under load.

Here is another youtube video with the same cluster but obviously on a altezza, different engine etc, the pressure that is shown here is more in line with what im experiencing.

Anyone else wire up there oil pressure gauge yet?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Alright, I do not have this cluster but the TRD one. With information provided in this thread i wired up the oil pressure sensor, but i am not getting the "response" i was expecting. I spoke with a toyota technician and he said it is normal for the 2jz to read low oil levels of 1-2 at idle and 3-4 underload.

Investigating further i found this youtube video where it appears this guy has oil levels a little more of what i expected, although it didnt appear that there was much movement under load.

Jdm Altezza TRD meter cluster IS300 - YouTube

Here is another youtube video with the same cluster but obviously on a altezza, different engine etc, the pressure that is shown here is more in line with what im experiencing.

TRD Altezza & Nismo Z - Best Motoring International - YouTube

Anyone else wire up there oil pressure gauge yet?
Can you tell me how you wired it up?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Can you tell me how you wired it up?
Well let me say this was my educated guess on how to hook it up, but i dont know if i hooked it up correctly or not. I basically replaced the oil switch with oil pressure guage part #83520-60050. this guage is used for the altezza, sequoia, tundra, and who know what else. the is300 plug is also a direct fit for the oil guage. Since any signal from the switch would throw the oil light in the car, i cut e7 at the ecu then routed the wire from the oil pressure guage to a1 of the combo meter.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Curran have you done anything more with the oil pressure gauge?

I just got my Dakota boxes so I'm going to be hooking them up and installing my cluster soon and was going to order the oil pressure sending unit so I can get that working also.
I haven't, everything does work, so im leaving it the way it is, i just thought it was unusual readings. Let me know how readings are when you do yours.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If I have a 5 speed car and get a altezza 5 speed cluster do I still need to move wires and jump pins? I've Read that it was plug and play bit that dosnt make much sense to me.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Curran have you done anything more with the oil pressure gauge?

I just got my Dakota boxes so I'm going to be hooking them up and installing my cluster soon and was going to order the oil pressure sending unit so I can get that working also.
I just bought a digital dakota box for the tachometer, do you happen to remember how you set yours up? I know i could figure it out but if someone happens to know it would be useful information for this thread.

If I have a 5 speed car and get a altezza 5 speed cluster do I still need to move wires and jump pins? I've Read that it was plug and play bit that dosnt make much sense to me.
Depends what year your car is, 01? you would have to switch around some pins, 02? should be plug and play, however depending on what motor you have in your car your tachometer signal may be inncorrect, and you would need to get a digital dakota sgi8.

anyone get the oil pressure gauge working?
Mine is working and i think i understand why my reading are so wierd bascally a normal oil gauge is usually 0-80 psi, well on the TRD is goes from0 to 900kpa which converted is 130psi, on such a small gauge movement is less evident. Did you get one?

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
I just bought a digital dakota box for the tachometer, do you happen to remember how you set yours up? I know i could figure it out but if someone happens to know it would be useful information for this thread.
I still haven't messed with mine, so I don't have the boxes installed yet :lol:

241 - 260 of 296 Posts