Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wassup guys,

I have been reading alot of post's and i have to say i love my new IS300. I picked up my new BLACK IS300 on saterday and i already have 400 miles on it
. But back to the topic.

When i first put the IS300 in reverse and step on the gas slightly the car rock's or slowly stutters but only when i first put it into reverse. I was just wondering if this is normal?

Thx,
Martin

Black IS300

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't know the answer to the reverse thing. Maybe since it's a brand new car it just has to be broken it. However, I did want to congratulate you on your purchase. Have fun

·
Registered
424 Posts
Martin, did you press the brake firmly ?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes .. It's after i let off the brake and i give it alittle gas to move.

Martin <----- In Love

Black IS300

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hmm...I think a similar problem is affecting my dad's GS400...its brand new as well, less than 500 miles...

I hope someone knows how to fix this problem or if its just something characteristic of an unbroken in car. Also, it seems that when we put the parking brake on, it still rocks a tiny bit. This can't be normal can it? is something loose under the car or something?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't have the stuttering problem while first starting in reverse, but I do have a similar situation...

Backing out of a parking space (for instance), I usually put the car into drive while it is still rolling backwards (not fast mind you, may a 1mph roll). The IS will jerk violently once I put it in drive. It almost feels as if I backed into something, like a pole. I've now learned to come to a complete stop when backing up before I put it in drive. Anyone else experience this?

I've driven SUVs for the past 3 years so I've gotten into the habit. This is the first car I've driven that reacts this way.

·
Registered
106 Posts
hey there martin, ihave had my car for two months now, and i have taken it to the dealer twice and they tell me that they cant find the problem. i experience a jerk when i put it into reverse, and only at very low speed. let me know what you dealer finds out if you take it in... thanks.

------------------

·
Registered
424 Posts
As I recall, ES300 seemed to have a similar behaviour but I can't really be sure..

Anyway, I have the habit of putting the car to a complete stop before toggling between "D" and "R".

It would be good to know what the dealer says.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've driven my parents 96 LS400 for a while now, and I too notice a jerk when you shift from R to D while still moving. I also notice that same thing in my '92 Toyota 4Runner. I dunno, maybe it's the Toyota transmission?

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
My mother's '92 ES300 makes an awful "thunk" and jerks a little if the car isn't fully stopped before shifting from R to D. I always thought that that was the nature of an automatic tranny...if the change from reverse to forward was very abrupt, it could invariably damage the tranny. <shrug>

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm no expert, but from past experiences of driving both US and Japanese made cars, I've noticed that some cars tend to have "loose" Torque converters than others.

A car with "loose" torque converter slipped well enough when put from R to D that you could feel no vibrations. Torque converters that doesn't slip tend to have more jerks when put from R to D (or N to D for that matter).

I guess Aishin AW automatic transmissions (used on most Toyotas) tend not to slip so much.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by Altezza:
I'm no expert, but from past experiences of driving both US and Japanese made cars, I've noticed that some cars tend to have "loose" Torque converters than others.

A car with "loose" torque converter slipped well enough when put from R to D that you could feel no vibrations. Torque converters that doesn't slip tend to have more jerks when put from R to D (or N to D for that matter).

I guess Aishin AW automatic transmissions (used on most Toyotas) tend not to slip so much.
you probably want to make sure you come to a complete stop before shifting... i had a friend who tore up his tranny in his Camry doing that... (he went from a stick to an auto)... don't want to 'pop' it into drive or R while still rolling...

·
Registered
594 Posts
If i'm not mistaken, Mercedes can do what you're saying the IS300 (Lexus's) cant? I interned once at the service dept. of a Mercedes Dealership and the technicians would roll out of their bay in Reverse and pop it into Drive without hesitation.There wasn't a sound or anything indicating that this was bad for the car.

Also, I thought that cars with the gated shifters (all Mercedes, most Lexus) could do this?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
11 Participants
ISx300
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing