Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some members know I have been working with the IS-F on and off for the last year. After finishing my last leg of work with it, I feel I can give an adequate review, so here's a general overview:

Performance:
Power- the power between 4000-6900 is exactly what people expected from this vehicle. Below that, it is quite sluggish, which myself and others believe is due to the "dual" intake which opens up at around 4k rpm, at that time you can hear the throaty 5.0 begin to surge. 0-60 figures from my g-tech were 4.3 at 77 degrees along with 48% humidity and a 12.8 1/4 mile at 111 mph. With some wider tires, a quicker time would be easily achievable since traction is an issue with this vehicle. The shifting is very fast when you are in sport mode along with F Sport shifting option. However 8 gears is a little much for my taste, I would have liked to have seen a 6 speed DSG of some sorts, or perhaps even a manual, but that is not going to happen.

Handling- The handling of this car shocked me more than anything, managed to get a .94 on the skidpad with it. The tighter steering ratio, especilly in sport mode, makes handling precise so you can put the car where you want it with only a slight understeer. For having such a tight tire setup (225/40/19F, 255/35/19R) it handles very well and inspires confidence in any condition even though a 245/35F and 275/30R would be optimal. Suprisingly, there is a sufficient amount of feedback through the steering wheel which keeps the Lexus "disconnected" feel at bay even with electric power steering.

Braking- Braking is everything you would expect from the front 14" 6 pot Brembos, but I hope you like to clean wheels because the pads dust....A LOT.

Comfort/Aesthetics-
Exterior- Even though looks are subjective, pictures do not do this car justice. I for one did not care for the car when I first saw proto pictures of the F. But in person, the lines seem to flow smoothly. The "fender vent" is not functional, even though most of you probably knew that. In fact it really isn't a fender vent, it is just the side skirt meeting the fender midway. The brake ducts on the front of the car however are indeed functional, and the passenger side duct is also used for the second inlet for the dual stage intake.

Interior- The seats have bigger bolsters than those of the ISX50's, so they do hold the driver in place during a carving session. Seating postion is adjustable enough to create correct seating ergonomics for a varity of different drivers, unless you are about 6' 3" or taller. Rear seats there isn't much leg room if the driver/passenger are tall, but since there are only two seats, there is plenty of width between the rear passengers.

That's about it as far as my general thoughts on the car, here's a few pics I snapped of it with my POS sitting next to it.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
very nice! i need to find time to post my in-car driving video from this past november. i hope i can take one out for another drive soon.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
how did you swing that?

tinted and all.. do u get to keep it?

were u the one th crazy kid in the 350z was chasing in that youtube vid. haha

when does it officially go on sale?

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
Nice review, kinda shocking to hear that the engine is sluggish below 4K. I guess it really comes alive after 4K?

Everyone is raving about the handling, I cannot wait to give it a go this Saturday coming up. If the Lexus Engineers were able to cure that nasty understeer, and still kept the car neutral, I am sure it will be a joy to drive.

Reactions: ISZach

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice review, kinda shocking to hear that the engine is sluggish below 4K. I guess it really comes alive after 4K?

Everyone is raving about the handling, I cannot wait to give it a go this Saturday coming up. If the Lexus Engineers were able to cure that nasty understeer, and still kept the car neutral, I am sure it will be a joy to drive.
Well as I said, I didn't notice a "nasty" understeer, it just has a slight understeer, nothing threatening. Basically what you would expect from a F/R car.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts

Rudy, I am so looking forward to your review.

Your review of the IS350 was instrumental in me buying one!

(FYI I'll be in Orlando March 11-13, if you happen to go up that way PM me and I'll buy you a beer. Or two.)

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
@#@#$ Damn....SO wish I could have met up with ya Zach. No way would I live down disapointment from the wife if I left her the evening of her bday. Grrr.

Thanks for the excellent review. And that color combo is sooo mine!

·
Runs on Rice
2,900 Posts

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
nice Zach...you doing the review for a magazine or something? just wondering....

·
Premium Member
9,703 Posts
Thanks for the review. 12.8 in the 1/4 mile is very good. I'm suprise that it is sluggish under 4k, but i guess they made it that way for everyday driving for regular drivers. Thanks again. +rep

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
Thanks for the review. 12.8 in the 1/4 mile is very good. I'm suprise that it is sluggish under 4k, but i guess they made it that way for everyday driving for regular drivers. Thanks again. +rep
Probably to avoid the gas guzzler tax?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Zach do the exhaust tips actually connect to the piping, cause i think i was reading up on emunds that the tips don't do anything and are just for show, I tried searching for it if they changed that but couldn't find it anywhere!

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Zach do the exhaust tips actually connect to the piping, cause i think i was reading up on emunds that the tips don't do anything and are just for show, I tried searching for it if they changed that but couldn't find it anywhere!
They are connected to the bumper, just as the LS460/600 are.

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
Rudy, I am so looking forward to your review.

Your review of the IS350 was instrumental in me buying one!

(FYI I'll be in Orlando March 11-13, if you happen to go up that way PM me and I'll buy you a beer. Or two.)

Thanks for the comment! And glad I was of help.

Yes, I cannot wait! Tomorrow! YAY!

Great!!! I will try to arrange some sort of excuse to be in Orlando. I'll let you know.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts