Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I never post but this was a fun race.
I was driving from Evenston, WY to Salt Lake City, UT
(If you have never been here, it is a long drive [120 miles] of long straights, mountain twists, and big down-hills.)
Well it was on the weekend of the 4th of July and I was with my wife heading home...there was a ton of traffic just on the outskirts of town and everything was being held up by big rigs and mini-vans (god I hate them). So I'm cutting through all of the cars (being careful of coarse) and get out into the open. I punch it and am cruising at about 85mph when all of a sudden there is this black car on my ass.....so close I can't see his license plate.

I'm a little freaked out thinking I'm going to get a ticket
(I got one once before for doing 116 in a 65 [in the middle of nowhere] and it wasn't pretty, but thats a different story)

So I slow down a little and pull over to the next lane assuming I'm going to see lights any second..... it turns out to be some guy (20 - 25 in a Christler Seabring 3.0)
and he stops dead even with me. I was a little annoyed at that point that he is tailgating me at that speed, so I punch the gas (its the auto) and get upto 115 (at this point there is no one else around but me and him).

I get some distance between us and he is just this little speck in the rear-view. Within about a minute he is back on my a$$ again. I punch it and leave him again.....this happens about 3 times. The final time he flys by me doing about 120...I couldn't just let him get the best of me.....so I floor it and I get upto 137 (it took about 3 miles) and just toasted this guy.
(Wife is yelling at me that I'm going to jail at this point)

He accelerates and trys to catch up but he couldn't.
(I HAD THE RADAR DETECTOR ON AND 30 MILES OF FLAT STRAITAWAY WITH TOTAL VISIBILITY @ 4PM for all you doubters)

So after about 5 miles (which went by REAL quick) I let off and backed it down to 100 and kept on cruising.....the guy finally catches up ofter 10 miles and pulls up and gives me this big $hit eating grin and waves. We were both having fun.

We ended up racing the entire 125 miles (off and on depending on traffic)through the canyons and down the mountain until we got back into heavy traffic.
I am curious though if someone has found the
govener (144 I'm told) but 137 spooked me a little and I wasn't going to push it.
Anyhow, that ride was both my longest race and highest top speed atained.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
When you get boost, the speed limiter comes fast, REALLY fast-

I was racing a Turbo Carrera on 95 from a 3rd gear roll- hit 4th, then 5th, then hear that sweet broken exhaust note- the limiter kicking in- I was like wtf, looked down at the dash, and the speedo was near 150!!! I immediately released a large quantity of feces into my boxer shorts, slowed down to 70, and exited the highway at the next exit, thinking I was going to jail for sure. My hands were trembling.

On a positive note, though, the carrera started 2 car lengths behind me, and had JUST made it to my rear door when the limiter kicked in, so he was only slowly walking me.

Never again, though- that shit is WAY too fast for me, especially considering the quality of our DC area roads and highways.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was probably a 1-2% grade, It looked really flat but I'm sure there was some downhill to it. The best part is that they had only resurfaced about a week ago, so it was like racing on a track. I have crappy tires though (Dunlops...don't know the model, but they suck on the highway and kick ass is the snow). I think I would have dared push it to the govener if I had nice tires because the car honestly feels better the faster you go, by I had images of a blow-out at that speed and I turned chicken.

As far as the boost, I would sell my first born for a big T60 turbo, but my wife knows I would DEFINITELY go to jail with one of those. Maybe one day I will find where she put my manhood and just do what I want to the car.

I had the trembling hands that doublins was talking about as it was though :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts