Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. Who ever said the TRAC ECU replacement and engine ECU update was a "national" thing? I called up Sewell Lexus in Dallas Texas, and the service man had "no knowledge of such a problem". So, I called up 1-800-25-LEXUS. I asked the guy on the phone if he knew of such a problem for the IS300. He said "no". I then told him that other dealerships around the nation know of such a problem, and how strange it was that he doesn't know about it. He got all defensive and said to me, "well, you know what i would do? I would go to those dealerships and talk to them about it". By this time I was already pissed. There are dealerships around the nation who are aware of this problem. So how could the 1-800-25-Lexus people not know? You know, I got the IS300 because I like the way it looks and after test-driving it at the dealer. Plus, it has the Supra engine (I love supras) However, the TRAC ECU and engine ECU thing is getting on my nerves. Plus, the people at Lexus (both dealers and service reps) are playing games--acting as if they know nothing. This is the last Lexus I'll ever get. Had I known about these problems, I would have tried to get a nice used Supra Turbo.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I'm sure you will enjoy the attention and service at Mercedes and BMW much better. Try it and get back to us.

·
Registered
21,494 Posts
You may already have this info, but here it is again along with the link to the thread.

If your dealership does not know (or pretends not to know), about the update tell them to look up the following Technical Service Information Bulletin:
TSIB EG003-01

MORE IMPORTANT INFORMATION!!
The ECU reprogram update affects all IS300s whose VIN number is LOWER/BEFORE 10025186

The TRAC ECU replacement affects all IS300s whose VIN number is LOWER/BEFORE 10029014

These is no specific Manufacture date but VIN number verification.

http://www.is300.net/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=007921

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Uh...at least your car still runs reasonably well. Some cars out there have worse problems than a weird-acting ECU and TRAC unit. Just putting things in perspective...

·
Registered
133 Posts
chill out. From what I've read and heard, not all dealerships are completely aware of this. I wouldn't bash the company as a whole because of a few ignorant salesmen. Call around as you don't necessarily have to have your upgrade done at the same dealership in which you bought our Lexus. Brad is right, go buy a beemer and see if they treat you as well.

·
Registered
509 Posts
bimmer/mb dealers sucks..

they are like, if you dont wear a suit or versace clothes, they dont even bother to ask you if you need any help, leave alone giving you a brochere..

anyway, the ECU upgrade and TRAC..
i dont really feel it too often.. not a big problem.. i dont see how u get so pissed over a small problem, which can be fixed sooner or later. the lexus dealers here in vancouver are quite nice, treats you like a first class customer..

anyway, last time i went to ask, they said they acknowledge the problem, and promptly saying they will notify me as soon as the update is available, and this response is satisfying enough.. so.. anyway..

i'd still get a lexus in future, when a newer and even better model comes out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is300girl: Thanks for your help. I already have all that info. I could have told the guy at 1-800-25-lexus, but judging by his tone of voice, I knew he was irritated (probably because got about hundreds of similar calls everyday), so I said "thanks" and hung up. I hate dealing with people who have bad attitudes. However, I was fortunate enough to find a dealer who is aware of the problem, and I've scheduled an appointment to get the fix tomorrow. Have you done so yourself? If so, do you notice any difference? Please let me know. Thanks.

[email protected]: I used to own a 89 supra. It was an automatic, but I LOVED how it cornered! As soon as I come out from a turn, the thing turns smoothly and quickly. With my IS300, I am not getting the same feeling. It has good brakes when I am slowing down at a turn, but it just doesn't accelerate fast enough--I'm just not getting the same thrill as I did with my old supra. Plus, I love how my old supra downshifted!! Oh--have you fix your TRAC and ECU too?

Well, thanks everybody for replying!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Originally posted by Bruce LeRoy:

[email protected]: I used to own a 89 supra. It was an automatic, but I LOVED how it cornered! As soon as I come out from a turn, the thing turns smoothly and quickly. With my IS300, I am not getting the same feeling. I'm just not getting the same thrill as I did with my old supra.

Bruce LeRoy:
I know exactly what you are talking about. First of all, I do not own a supra or IS300 yet, BUT I have test drive both cars (for several hours recently)and also owned an MR2.
I remember very clearly that, I haven't feel the power push (punch) from the rear wheel when accelarate or coming out from conrner on the IS300 during my test drive. Sometime it feel like it hesitage or lag to accelerate for couple seconds before it can pickup.
Don't get me wrong, I totally in love with IS300 when first see it, but that little thing really holding me back from buying it and rather wait for the '02 model. I'm hoping that everything (bugs) will straight out for the '02 model when it arrive to Lexus dealer this Sep. Thanks

·
Registered
21,494 Posts
Bruce LeRoy,

Yes, I have the ECU fix, but the TRAC unit is on national backorder from what I've heard. There is less hesitation, but it does still happen from time to time. I'm not sure if that's because I don't have the new TRAC unit or not.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Bruce:
Its a 4+ hour drive but give Lexus of San Antonio a call and ask for Robert... I gave him the service bulliten # as well as TRAC ECU replacement part # and he said he's order the parts for me and complete all necessary updated when i come in for my 10k service... next week.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, jdogg! I hope all goes well for you!
Let me know when you get it!

is300girl: thanks for replying. i called up another dealer around my area, and he said the new TRAC ECU is in, and my appointment is 8:25 tomorrow. So, they'll "flash" my engine ECU and replace my TRAC ECU. I'm somewhat nervous, but I hope it'll turn out well. I'll let you know. Oh--by the way--do you trust your dealer? I am somewhat skeptical about their work, so I asked the service manager if it was ok for me to watch and see them work. He was somewhat hesistant, and told me it could take along time because not only will my car take about an hour, but they need to work on other cars ahead of mine (so I guess he said "no" in a nice way). He offered a loan car, and I said "ok". Yet, I'm still somewhat skeptical. I want to be there to see them replace the TRAC ECU, as well as update the engine ECU. Am I being too paranoid or anal
?

TNguyenIS300 : I'll be honest with you. If I could do it all over again, I'll probably get a nice, used turbo supra (automatic or stick), or a new civic (stick). Many times, I've considered trading in my IS for a new civic or another car, but regardless of what car i get, I'll end up losing money on the IS. That's why I am sticking to it. If you really want to get one, I suggest you wait for the manual (if you're not tired of driving with a manual yet
). Let me know what's up.

Thanks for replying folks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I also called around about a month ago in the DFW area to ask for the fix. Neither Sewell Dallas nor Park Place Lexus Grapevine knows about it. Its really frustrating.
Which dealership did you end up going to? Who did you talk to there?
I need to get mine taken care of as well.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
man, people are wayyy over reacting on this situation. chill, its not like you're going to die driving with out it. you will eventually get it. nationals is on back order. most dealerships will not get it yet or anytime soon. just give it time. if this is your reason not to buy a lexus, maybe u shouldnt have bought one in the first place. you think lexus have glitches? go try other cars...is this your first car or something?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Diablo: I called up Park Place Lexus in Plano. The number is 972-407-700. Ask to speak to the Shop Manager (Eric Courts) or the Service Manager (P.J. Nehere, that's who told me the TRAC ECU finally came in). Hope all goes well. Let me know, k?

Lexus_IS300: HEheehehehehehe!

YES! The IS300 is my FIRST NEW car, to be honest. I'm pretty disapointed from buying it, and it's too late to do anything about it now. I guess you could call it a learning experience. Next time, I'll just get a Toyota instead. That'll save me thousands from a "Lexus" nameplate!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hey, i am just wondering...
is the ECU fix AVAILABLE in SEATLE AREA???????

can someone help?

coz i am from Vancouver, and its not available in canada as they have told me.. but i am willing to drive down to Seattle to have it fixed. ( like only 3 hour drive)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Originally posted by Bruce LeRoy:
Diablo: I called up Park Place Lexus in Plano. The number is 972-407-700. Ask to speak to the Shop Manager (Eric Courts) or the Service Manager (P.J. Nehere, that's who told me the TRAC ECU finally came in). Hope all goes well. Let me know, k?

Hey Bruce,
I talk to PP Lexus Plano and Friday and they said ECU's were on backorder. Did they just get them in?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
18 Participants
Bruce LeRoy
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing