Lexus IS Forum banner

My IS300 Totalled (Photos)** OLD POST BUMPED!!**

3K views 42 replies 33 participants last post by  hois300 
#1 ·
Well, looks like my luck ran out. My friend was driving my IS300 after a pretty rough storm (DD, I was drinking), he hit a sandbar on the road, overcorrected, slid, hit the other shoulder and we flipped end over end a few times, finally landing on the roof. We walked away from this accident, if you can believe that (I still can't). <P>That's me in the photos, just happy to be alive. If anything I'm a poster child for a well designed and safe vehicle. My thanks go to every one of the Lexus engineers.
<P>

<p>[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: jorge o. castro ]

See less See more
#5 ·
Yes, seat belts, otherwise I would have followed my CD collection through the front windshield.
Sorry that the photos are so big, I wish the BB software had a preview feature.

I've been trying to find an email address from someone at Lexus, I'd like to forward them to the 'safety team' or whatever, so I can thank them personally. Does anyone know anyone who works at lexus?

#8 ·
Originally posted by civic Si-r:
my question to you, will you be buying another IS?, and will insurance help you out?
For sure I will be getting another IS, insurance is covering the entire lease, except for the sales tax, so I'm out $2500, plus I'll have to drop another downpayment, but I have some time to wait for the unveiling of the 2002. Until then my Ducati 900SS is the primary mode of transportation.

In hindsight, I should have opted for the "cover your ass" insurance part of the lease that I didn't think I'd need. I forgot what it's called, but it makes up the difference for anything your insurance company doesn't cover, in my case, california sales tax.
So if anyone out there is looking at a lexus lease, consider the consequences of "what happens if I total the car when I'm driving out the lot."

#11 ·
Holy sh!t!

I'm so glad you are okay! It looks like Godzilla picked up your IS and crumpled it up into a little ball. You had someone watching over you my friend. Well take car and I hope you get a replacement soon!

#12 ·
dayam im glad ur ok, have any parts i can have, uhm maybe the spare tire !! hehe

anyways im glad to hear u are getting another is300!

#13 ·
Originally posted by phi:
[QBOr were you walking away before the ambulances even showed up?[/QB]
We crawled out the passenger door right after the car stopped, when the ambulances drove up they told me I was sitting on one of the wheels (which had ripped off) mumbling about how lucky I was to be alive. My right arm had been waving in and out of the window, so its pretty sore; that and a few scratches...

#15 ·
Damn, You are one lucky SOB. Glad you and your buddy are ok. Be careful on the Duc, you do wanna be around to get the '02.

#18 ·
Everyone,

Thanks for the kind words. The orange paint is to mark parts that are bad so they can't be resold. Three of the wheels looked good to me, but they painted them (they would have been neat to keep and sell to someone in need). According to the report and memory, we were going about 60, but the road was undulating, and the sandbar was on the blind side of the bump, so when we hit it, the downward force of the car dove the drivers side corner into the opposite shoulder, causing us to flip. The spare tire ended up in the back seat, since you can see in the pic how the trunk was kind of turned inside out.

If anyone needs a replacement owner's manual with leather book thingie let me know, I'll send it to you for the cost of postage, they're a little roughed up though ...

#20 ·
i want the little chrome ball, i know thats ok!

#23 ·
Originally posted by jorge o. castro:
The orange paint is to mark parts that are bad so they can't be resold. Three of the wheels looked good to me, but they painted them (they would have been neat to keep and sell to someone in need)
They should have just dipped the entire car in a big bucket of orange paint.

#24 ·
Originally posted by jorge o. castro:
Well, looks like my luck ran out. My friend was driving my IS300 after a pretty rough storm (DD, I was drinking), he hit a sandbar on the road, overcorrected, slid, hit the other shoulder and we flipped end over end a few times, finally landing on the roof. We walked away from this accident, if you can believe that (I still can't).

That's me in the photos, just happy to be alive. If anything I'm a poster child for a well designed and safe vehicle. My thanks go to every one of the Lexus engineers.

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: jorge o. castro ]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.