Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a new RMM intake with heat shield. Took it out for test drive. Why does my car cut off when putting gear in neutral when slowing down…. RPM began to drop below 1000? To prevent the car from cutting off, rpm has to be above 1000. I reset the ECU after completing the installation. My car is a 2003 Lexus IS300 5-Speed. I called RMM tech support and the guy said I had to adjust the throttle screws. I couldn’t find any screw to adjust on the throttle body. Could it be my airflow sensor? Anybody ever had this problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have an 03' E shift with the AEM short ram. It idles and 500 or so too? Weird, anyone else's rpm's lowere with intake? You would think it would be higher since there is more air?????

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
go out get yourselves new high-flowing filters i.e. HKS, BLITZ, APEXi
and throw em onto your aem pipes. itll work, thats what i did

·
Registered
218 Posts
5speedis300 said:
Just installed a new RMM intake with heat shield. Took it out for test drive. Why does my car cut off when putting gear in neutral when slowing down…. RPM began to drop below 1000? To prevent the car from cutting off, rpm has to be above 1000. I reset the ECU after completing the installation. My car is a 2003 Lexus IS300 5-Speed. I called RMM tech support and the guy said I had to adjust the throttle screws. I couldn’t find any screw to adjust on the throttle body. Could it be my airflow sensor? Anybody ever had this problem? Thanks.
hmmm.... try to block the air filter from the fan. or move the air filter further away from the fan. well, when i had an intake system the air filter fell off cuz it wasn't very tight and once the fan came on the car just stalled. not rite away but it idled very irratically and then died. even if the air filter was in the idle goes up and down by about 50RPM. but now i installed back my stock intake box with the K&N air filter. but i replaced the stock pipe though. it looks pretty ghetto. i wonder how i can upload an image here. btw i'm a newbie

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
i'm pretty sure his airfilter isn't falling off the actual pipe onto the fan, or else he would have known what the problem was.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i have an aem short ram intake and it does the same. I disconnet the battery and reconnected then i clean out the pipe and the maf. and it still stall alot when i get to a stoping point or when i'm putting on my brakes it will idol real low up and down then shut off..

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
das- cleaning the MAF isnt going to solve all of their problems. there are intakes out there that dont work correctly with their supplied filters i.e. 50% of AEM short rams. besides, their "dirty" MAFs didnt cause the car to die when their stock intakes were installed, why would they once the aftermarket pipes were on ? and also take this into account, on my aem short ram, i replaced the K&N style aem filter ( brand new ) with an HKS megaflow filter, which is notorious for being bad at filtering air, and the intake worked beautifully.

in other words: effective filter vs. not so effective filter.... not so effective filter won w/o cleaning of MAF.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
fusion said:
das- cleaning the MAF isnt going to solve all of their problems. there are intakes out there that dont work correctly with their supplied filters i.e. 50% of AEM short rams. besides, their "dirty" MAFs didnt cause the car to die when their stock intakes were installed, why would they once the aftermarket pipes were on ? and also take this into account, on my aem short ram, i replaced the K&N style aem filter ( brand new ) with an HKS megaflow filter, which is notorious for being bad at filtering air, and the intake worked beautifully.

in other words: effective filter vs. not so effective filter.... not so effective filter won w/o cleaning of MAF.
I just said MAF... didn't say anything about cleaning it. :cool:

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
CYBERTECK said:
i aint tryna be a dick but...

Oops, I stand corrected... I only re-read my first post, where I didn't say anything about cleaning it.

My bad, old thread.

The sticky I'll create in my copious free time isn't just going to be about cleaning the MAF... since that's only the problem 25% of the time...

ugh. If only I got paid to do this.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
i'll pay you $.50 an hour :)
dasgalloway said:
Oops, I stand corrected... I only re-read my first post, where I didn't say anything about cleaning it.

My bad, old thread.

The sticky I'll create in my copious free time isn't just going to be about cleaning the MAF... since that's only the problem 25% of the time...

ugh. If only I got paid to do this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts