Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to washing my car yesterday after many days of rainy weather. After washing, I pulled it back in the garage. This morning, I tried starting it and it won't start. It initially cranked normally, but soon gave a higher pitched noise. I figure either the starter isn't engaging, or if it is, the timing belt must have gone. Any other ideas? I called Roadside assistance but they said there wasn't much they could do until Monday morning since the dealers are closed. So I guess I'll have to call early in the morning to get a tow truck over here. They better have a loaner vehicle after all the bragging they did about their service when I bought the car. Any possibility of getting an RX300 as a loaner? I bet they use ES300's.

------------------
2001 IS300 Diamond White Pearl / Ivory
LP, SR, LD, HH, AW, WL, LM, 30% tint

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
When my friend had trouble with his ES300, they gave him a RX300....then the second time they gave him another ES300.....i guess it just depends on what they have.
He was kinda hoping to get a GS400 though

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
How long have you had the IS? Did you clean the engine bay, too? Kinda odd it just won't start... *shrug* Keep us posted...

Scott.

------------------
...yet another proud owner of a fully loaded Graphite Gray Pearl '01 IS300

·
8,880 Posts
I know it's a dumb question, but is your battery OK?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hey marke1, My DWP sat for 6 cold days in my garage while i was on vac, It would not start either. I could hear the starter cranking, and plugs firing, but it got louder and sounded very dry. Finally got it to start by stepping on the gas pedal on the 5th or 6th try, took it to the dealer right away. Of course, they couldnt find anything wrong. "engine shows no trouble codes" is what they told me...been starting fine ever since

------------------
PEARL/BLK

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the car in August, so it has been 5 months. It has about 4300 miles. I didn't clean the engine and the battery is fine. It cranks with a higher pitch noise as if there was no load on the starter. That's why I think it isn't engaging. I think the timing belt is a remote possibility. The belt went out on my old Supra - they crank really fast when there is no camshift to turn or compression.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
that sounds like a good idea, maybe your KEYFOB transister is messed up. try another key. and the gas suggestion too. if that dont work, i dunno. my car always starts.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the tow truck arrived and I explained the situation. The guy says "your engine may be flooded". He says to puch the accelerator to the floor and keep cranking. I try this and after about a minute and a half of cranking (with a few pauses to cool the starter ) it finally started. It didn't even start firing for the first minute. That's why I thought something was broken. I guess I have a good battery though! I checked the manual and it does mention "flooding" and what to do when that happens. It claims it happens after repeated cranking, which was not my case. Anyway, I guess I learned something new and thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
135 Posts
After you "puched" on the accelerator pedal, what did you clean the "PUCH" up with? That really seems like a lot of trouble, but it that is what it took... Who did the "puching?" Did they stick their head down to the accelerator and puch, or did they puch into a container first and pour the puch on the accelerator? It must have been really sticky and chunky to hold the pedal down.

·
Registered
219 Posts
ignoring gebo...I had the exact same problem with my camary once. I actually had it towed to the toyota dealership. It turns out that you can "flood" the engine if you start the car cold and drive it for a very short distance and then shut it off (like pulling the car in to the garage after being parked outside). They guys at the dealership told me the same solution - floor it while cranking. It happened to me one other time and I got it started fine.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hurricane -
That's gotta be it. Now that I think about it, I had a similar problem with my 92 Maxima occasionally after washing. It would start but cough and sputter for about 30 seconds. If the IS had at least gave an indication that it was firing, I would have kept cranking.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I dont know but during the snow storm my Is felt a lil woosy. It started but felt a little weak. Maybe a problem with the batteries.?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts