Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well -- It's been almost 5 months, and I've not had any major problem. I'm approaching 5k miles, and was hoping to wait until my first service to have to talk to the dealer, but it wasn't meant to be.

Over the weekend my I noticed my rear drivers tire looked a little low on air -- since I have been meaning to check the pressure all around anyway I went to the the gas station (and yes the air here is free) and quickly learned my rear drivers tire only had about 12psi in it. I was pissed at myself for not checking it sooner - so I filled it up and didn't think much of it.

Sunday morning it looks low again - went to fill it up, and it was back down to like 15psi. So it looks like I'll be calling the dealer this morning to take a look at it -- I can' see a nail in it or anything --

Oh well -- at least it will give me a chance to talk to them about my laundry list of minor complaints -- http://www.is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13320715&highlight=

d

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'd like to see how this turns out -- my Lexus dealer tried to charge me $60 to remount the unidirectional spare so that it could be used on the driver's side instead of the passenger's side. Ended up taking it to a "discount tire" place and they did the job for $15.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Aubie83 said:
Just find the whole and patch it yourself. I didnt think the dealership warrantied tires :-?
Our dealer offers a 4 year unlimited mile tire warranty for $60, covers replacement due to wear or other damage, no questions asked. Not a bad deal, first time I've had a dealer offer any extended warranty that actually sounded like a hell of a deal.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
ccunning said:
Our dealer offers a 4 year unlimited mile tire warranty for $60, covers replacement due to wear or other damage, no questions asked. Not a bad deal, first time I've had a dealer offer any extended warranty that actually sounded like a hell of a deal.
either you are shitting me or your dealer is a moron. who the hell offers a 4 yr unlimited tire warrany for replacement due to wear. Nobody is going to last 4 years on a set of z rated tires unless they only drive 5k a year. Where can I sign up?

ps dfhoegen...if your tire is losing air pressure that quick, you have a flat. Discount tires fixes flat tires for free...kind of pointless to take it to the dealer for that.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
XCstud said:
ccunning said:
either you are shitting me or your dealer is a moron. who the hell offers a 4 yr unlimited tire warrany for replacement due to wear. Nobody is going to last 4 years on a set of z rated tires unless they only drive 5k a year. Where can I sign up?

ps dfhoegen...if your tire is losing air pressure that quick, you have a flat. Discount tires fixes flat tires for free...kind of pointless to take it to the dealer for that.

Nope -- it wasn't flat -- it was losing air - it was still drivable --

So I took the car the to dealer -- and they pulled a screw out of it and plugged it and I was on my way with a clean car in less than 30 minutes.

I didn't take time to have them look at my list of things, becuase I've got an appoinment for the 5k maintence on Monday, where I'll give them the full list and take the loaner and let them work on it.

Total bill of plugging the tire $15.00 plus tax. I don't cinsider that price all that high -- as I've paid 10 - 15 at tire stores to get plugged before.

If there is anywhere that plugs tires they didn't sell for free, I don't know where they are around here.

d

·
Registered
204 Posts
XCstud said:
I dunno about the performance tires. All the 03's our dealer gets come with all season tires, not the low mileage performance tires. I'm not sure if they offer the same thing on the 02's with perf tires, but it was an option on my car.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
crontab said:
I thought it was not recommended to repair damaged Z-rated tires, but to replace them?

-crontab -l
I hadn't heard that -- althought I'm by no way an expert -- service writer said the hole was about 1 1/2" in from the outside edge -- if it's more than an 1" from the edge, it's safe to patch/plug...

ah well, I've always got my spare and my cell to call 80025lexus to tow me if I blow out...

d

·
Registered
378 Posts
dhoefgen said:
crontab said:
I thought it was not recommended to repair damaged Z-rated tires, but to replace them?

-crontab -l
I hadn't heard that -- althought I'm by no way an expert -- service writer said the hole was about 1 1/2" in from the outside edge -- if it's more than an 1" from the edge, it's safe to patch/plug...

ah well, I've always got my spare and my cell to call 80025lexus to tow me if I blow out...

d
Some damaged Z-rated tires can be repaired, but they lose their "Z-rating." Useful for spares, patched Z-rated tires are unsafe for high-speed driving, so most dealers and tire repair places recommend replacing them to avoid any potential liability.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
IS300TRD said:
dhoefgen said:
crontab said:

-crontab -l

d
Some damaged Z-rated tires can be repaired, but they lose their "Z-rating." Useful for spares, patched Z-rated tires are unsafe for high-speed driving, so most dealers and tire repair places recommend replacing them to avoid any potential liability.
Thanks for clearing that up. That's similar to what a mechanic told me some time ago.

-crontab -r

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
crontab
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing