Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as car enthusiasts, we can all appreciate this, right?

522 miles. not quite broken in, but close enough.

i pull up to a familiar intersection in the right lane, only to find they've put construction barrels up and my lane ends about 1/4 mile down the road, forcing a left lane merge. realizing i'd have to pull ahead of the car to my left, i look over and see a VW Golf GTI VR6 with Neuspeed stickers all over it, and, judging by the sound, and obviously modified exhaust. knowing from my porsche world that Neuspeed is a very respectable aftermarket mod company, i decide to see what my cl-s can do against this. i was prepared to get spanked.

he revs, lurches, and rolls backwards: 5-speed. i consider turning vsa off and going into ss, but nah, i figure, i wanna see what this thing can do with no tweaks at all. just mash and steer.

the light goes green. for some reason, i became stupid and did not throttle the gas right off the line -- i sorta waited to see what he would do. oddly, i start sooner (not faster) than he does, but he jumps it harder, and nearly instantly has maybe 1/2 car on me. fugg it. i stand on the gas, my cl-s downshifts into first for moment (it must have gone to 2nd in my lazy start), hits second, hits third. at the end of second i have him by a good two cars, and in the middle of third i merge over and realize that i'm doing 85 on a 45 road -- it took no time to get there. d'oh. i slow down and stop at the next light.

the GTI pulls up next to me, and the guy driving signals with a finger to pull into the corner gas station. he seems friendly enough, and besides, this is near detroit, and NOTHING bad ever happens in detroit. um, right?

turns out he has an aftermarket exhaust (from Neuspeed i'd gather) and some variety of intake on his car. the race was fairly close -- the most i had him by was maybe 3 - 3.5 car lengths -- and he said he doesn't typically lose to "luxo-cruisers" (his words, not mine). the funniest thing he asked was, "what the hell is that thing?", so i told him. we laughed a bit, and we both left. pretty cool guy. he was amazed that my car was not modded, and was an automatic to boot.

anyhow, that's my first real, somewhat sloppy first race in my cl-s. i thought y'all would care, so there u go.

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Picking on VWs??? What is up with that? Why not make fun of the handicapped while you're at it. Just kidding...funny how waxing the guy made him all friendly...just like in nature when a big monkey beats up a small monkey...the small monkey ends up picking fleas out of the big monkey's a$$. Nice work

·
Registered
272 Posts
Since I'm still looking for a car to race around town with, should I look into this GTi as a second choice to the IS?

·
8,107 Posts
aftermarket exhausts and intakes do little but make more noise, another example of that. It's hard to argue with 260 hp. Does Honda make awesome engines or what? Now why won't they get their asses in gear and make that RWD sports sedan?

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Cal:
GTI VR6s are no slouches, so nice race.
exactly...they can be pretty tough with the right driver, and seeing how his car was modded, i was literally prepared to get dusted.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by DJson:
Since I'm still looking for a car to race around town with, should I look into this GTi as a second choice to the IS?
the GTI can be turned into a mean car, but you won't get anywhere near the creature comforts as the is300 offers.

otoh, GTIs can be turned into formidable race cars pretty cheaply, particuarly the vr6 version.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by ckolsen:
aftermarket exhausts and intakes do little but make more noise, another example of that. It's hard to argue with 260 hp. Does Honda make awesome engines or what? Now why won't they get their asses in gear and make that RWD sports sedan?
no kidding...i wish the CLS was RWD and had a bit better weight distribution...but for now, i'm OK.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by cardinal_creek:
Nice job, but risky! 85/45 = license revoked = 951/CL garaged

I woulda done the same thing - we can't control our testosterone!
i know...i was doing that in a construction zone too, given all the orange and white barrels...d'oh

"but officer, he revved first...um, really."

weak. me = woulda been nailed.

·
Registered
260 Posts
IS300 lovers, if you like geoff's race and i am sure you all will proud of being IS owner and actually IS can kick ass as well...
here is my story about two weeks ago, i was heading home visiting my parents upstate NY on Highway 87 North.. my car only has around 850 miles on it(now 1,400), i was traveling 75 miles per hour on the left lane, when i look at the real mirror there is a car with yellow frog lights pulling very fast behind me, so i moved to the middle lane to let him pass( there were 3 lanes for portion of the highway), i was thinking the speed he was travling he should past me quickly, so i look at him it was a purple VW GTI, lowered, with big ass exhuast pipe, so he waited and doing the same speed as i am, at this time, i was thinking how i used to race with this GTI with my GS-R... at this moment i was smiling especailly when i think of this GTI must modified, that so tempting me to have a little race and see how fast both car can real runs, even though my car was still under 1,000 miles..
. the funiest thing is that he was thought of this first before me, he speed up about 3 cars infornt of me, i can hear clearly he big ass exhust growling.. then he slow down to wait for me. hehe.. i look at him, and catched up at the same speed, then we both decided take it to the top (i least i knew that is how he wanted), so i floored it the first time with my baby, hehe.. tell you guys, it growl nicely...
yeah yeah!! we were both tide at 100, but my car pulling ahead 110, 115 and 120...

while talking about the GS-R, after owning it for 4 years, i knew everything about it.. needless to say, if there are any Civci, GS-R coming here and bull****ing, please go away.. and let me tell you, don't mess around with the IS unless you seriously modified...

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Definitely not from a standing start, but maybe once rolling at speed it would be closer....
Eric...

·
Registered
260 Posts
the cl-s will beat an integra type r?

the is300 will beat an integra type r?
where did you see i've said the is300 beat type r? i would say pretty close with the GS-R from my preious expreience with it..

·
Registered
650 Posts
Good kill Geoff. Being a Honda (hybrid) and IS owner, i hate VWs. I eat them for lunch in Honda, but in the IS, i don't think I could win. Not from a stand still, maybe rolling on the highway i could....Anyways an IS would get eaten up my a type-R. Those run the quarter in high 14s. The IS is high 15s. Type Rs aren't fast stock, but faster than our IS

[This message has been edited by MAmornIS (edited October 23, 2000).]

1 - 20 of 38 Posts