Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been looking around the site now a few months since I bought my 02 IS 5sp. I have read and searched and tried to find out as much as i can before i started asking things. I have come from an 02 wrx that was pushing 240 awhp, yah I know not alot but that up almost 60 from stock! I would like to go turbo on the IS, I have read about doing a compression check being I just rolled 80k, The car has been very very well maintained everything done at the dealership by previous owner, including the TB at 70k miles.
I am looking for around 300 whp, "what the car should have had" give or take 20 hp. I want "reliable as a wood burning stove" reliability. and grandma can drive it drivability. I wanna do things right "gte" rods and pistons. here is the ?

does the gte head bolt on to our block and if so what is the benefit. cam covers, why lie i love the top of the supra motor. Its not crucial but if it were doable without going crazy I would like to. I guess what I am trying to get at is what all bolts up from the big brothers motor.

Tim

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
well, why not just do the Aristo VVTI GTE Swap? it should be a sticky on top, prolly easier since you want gte rods/pistons and the head.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Bolting up is the easy part, getting the electronics to work and getting smooth drivability is the hard part. Boosting an IS is not easy and not cheap, you're better off buying an off the shelf turbo kit from a good vendor and doing the install yourself and having a professional tune it for perfect drivabilty or have the vendor/tuner do the install/tuning.

does the gte head bolt on to our block and if so what is the benefit. cam covers, why lie i love the top of the supra motor. Its not crucial but if it were doable without going crazy I would like to. I guess what I am trying to get at is what all bolts up from the big brothers motor.
The GTE head bolts up to the block but getting it to work is the hard part. It's not needed if you want 300 rwhp either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bolting up is the easy part, getting the electronics to work and getting smooth drivability is the hard part. Boosting an IS is not easy and not cheap, you're better off buying an off the shelf turbo kit from a good vendor and doing the install yourself and having a professional tune it for perfect drivabilty or have the vendor/tuner do the install/tuning.

The GTE head bolts up to the block but getting it to work is the hard part. It's not needed if you want 300 rwhp either.

I know its not needed, I am just going for the ultimate reliability, and thats why I was curious on using good old oem parts.

Thanks for the replys

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I know its not needed, I am just going for the ultimate reliability, and thats why I was curious on using good old oem parts.

Thanks for the replys
GTE head would also mean needing a GTE intake or customizing the ge intake to fit a gte head, but then you're defeating your purpose of wanting the GTE head to begin with, the looks that is. As mentioned above... If you're dead set on the GTE look and if you want around 300whp go with an Aristo swap... you can find the engines from 1500-2500$... then add another 5-7.5k$ at least for everything else needed to make it "like stock." This setup is good for anywhere between 280-400+hp depending on whether you decide to run sequential or parallel, and if you run stock or lower than/higher than stock psi via a boost controller, among other things. Otherwise just get a kit from one of the turbo kit manufacturers. Boostlogic, SRT, PFS, Mazzuri all make good kits for the GE that are at reasonable price points. There is also the for sale forums.

·
Registered
557 Posts
For superb reliability, you want to keep the stock ECU... Almost any standalones out there suffers from some sort of problem for a 100% daily driven car that gets you to work everyday. Some have weak drivers that occasionally fails, some have slight bugs in the software, some have actual electronics issues. I deal with them everyday, and also deal with them on my personal cars too. There is a reason why my daily work horse IS300 is running an E-manage meanwhile all my other cars (weekend/project cars) are on standalones. To step up the bar, it would be a Motec or something ridiculously expensive + lots of tuning hours if you are only looking for 300 WHP. You can purchase a bolt-on turbo kit, but all the reputable kits run a standalone, which brings back to my statements mentioned above.

The most critical part is to make a piggyback work properly, consistently and with no surprises. The lesser the piggyback has to work, the better it controls the functions. So far, I have my IS300 set up in a specific way with the E-manage ultimate, that even if the E-manage does fail (which is rare), it only takes several second to get the car back to 100% stock configuration on the fly. The car will be 100% stock, and you can drive it for another 5 years if you want to, but only not being able to boost...lol So far, the results are great since May 2007, but as most guys know me here, I do not publish the secrets yet until it has been fully proven. It needs a good amount of running time to back up my claims to prevent misinformation :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts