Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Possible to another auto.
If the swap is for a manual, I dont think it will work. At this point I would save some money and weld it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I don't plan on drifting the car. Also I want the car to stay auto, so i might just end up buying a rear diff for it later on, no problem tho.
Welding it would also be free for me.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Absolutely you can swap the r&p but unless you have the tools and know-how, take it to a gear shop. You have to set the pinion depth within thousandths of an inch. Gear shops do this by running a test pattern on the gears with some marker dye. I am all about DIY but this is best left to the guys that do it everyday. You could just swap the whole diff, way easier.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Absolutely you can swap the r&p but unless you have the tools and know-how, take it to a gear shop. You have to set the pinion depth within thousandths of an inch. Gear shops do this by running a test pattern on the gears with some marker dye. I am all about DIY but this is best left to the guys that do it everyday. You could just swap the whole diff, way easier.
Ok, I'll need to get one first. I'm sure my dad can do it at the dealership.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Possible to another auto.
If the swap is for a manual, I dont think it will work. At this point I would save some money and weld it.

I have a manual 05 that had an LSD from an auto put in.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have had 2001 and other years side by side. No difference.
Idk about the M85 in the Manual 01 is300s but most early Auto 01 is300s with the M96 and M98 labelled 'T2' have stronger internals than the ones labelled 'T1'. I believe they still look the same on the outside.

Here is a picture of mine on my 01 below.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Idk about the M85 in the Manual 01 is300s but most early Auto 01 is300s with the M96 and M98 labelled 'T2' have stronger internals than the ones labelled 'T1'. I believe they still look the same on the outside.

Here is a picture of mine on my 01 below.

Unless the metal is different. The diff is the same. The case number you are looking at. Is a casting reference. To the mold used.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Jeez. I get about 16-19 combined. Depends on how often I hit boost (answer: every time I drive it).

but yeah, pull the OBD codes, and replace the bulb or ballast or both for that low beam. The problems you’re reporting are pretty normal for the car and it’s age.

Hahaha same hear I can literally see my gauge moving with the upgraded injectors, fuel pump & boost controller. I'd be happy to get what they do and premium gas is pricey.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I remember when I used to be so excited about my IS300. I've been over it for a while and now its just a gas guzzler that sits, I get around 20 or 22 combined granny driving. Only reason I don't sell it is it was the first car I bought when I graduated....it's been w me for so long that I have a hard time letting it go.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I remember when I used to be so excited about my IS300. I've been over it for a while and now its just a gas guzzler that sits, I get around 20 or 22 combined granny driving. Only reason I don't sell it is it was the first car I bought when I graduated....it's been w me for so long that I have a hard time letting it go.
I plan on keeping mine too. Even if I never drive it again (probably will drive it tho)

·
Registered
223 Posts
It can work. But I think you will have to swap driveshafts also

Nope, its a direct swap. Thought that was common knowledge. Guess the board has gotten younger as I have gotten older.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts