Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
after months of research and hunting i finally pulled the trigger and purchased an IS300. I have a Tacoma as my DD and i was looking for something to tinker with. I haven't had a project or fun car for about 10 years because of work and kids and the IS300 had fit all my criteria (manual, 4dr, RWD and not a BMW).

what i ended up purchasing is a 2003, manual, W/ LSD, and sport edition package with a lot of modifications.
i was not looking for a modified car and was actually trying to avoid them. this car was posted on Ebay and was only 30+ minutes away so i thought i would at least give it a look. I was surprised by how nice the car was for being modified and the previous owner had all the receipts for work done. after test driving i purchased with little hesitation.

i have been driving the car daily for 11 days now and i have had no issues at all. it is still TBD if i have made a wise purchase or not.

i have a lot of plans for this car so i am sure i will be a regular on this forum.

list of known mods-
STR stage 3 turbo kit, installed by SRT. Still trying to figure out what all the specs of this are. (receipt for kit and install is almost $9000)
ACT extreme pressure plate and 6 puck clutch
short throw shifter
Vibrant full exhaust
Enkei TSP-5 wheels, 18''
AEM A/F, boost, and oil pressure gauges

so here are some picture....

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Should be a fun toy! I was in a very similar boat; I was hunting for a nice virgin car for an LS3 swap but came across a nicely done turbo car that just needed someone that knew what they were doing to polish up a few particulars...

What transmission is in it, and what system/electronics were used to tune it?

Unless there is ample evidence (in your receipt/documentation dossier) the car is safely tuned, I'd recommend you visit a dynoshop and make at least a couple pulls to be sure it's all playing nice!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Nice find, seems pretty clean :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should be a fun toy! I was in a very similar boat; I was hunting for a nice virgin car for an LS3 swap but came across a nicely done turbo car that just needed someone that knew what they were doing to polish up a few particulars...

Unless there is ample evidence (in your receipt/documentation dossier) the car is safely tuned, I'd recommend you visit a dynoshop and make at least a couple pulls to be sure it's all playing nice!
There is a receipt from 2015 that shows the transmission was replaced. it just notes "uses IS300 transmission" i am assuming it is the W55.

A visit to a tuner is in the immediate future but I need to get the car through Pennsylvania emissions before i do anything. I purchased out of state and this gives me a 10 day grace period to get inspection and emissions done. I failed emissions and my 10 days were up on Monday (back to driving the truck for a couple days). the car did not pass the OBDII plug-in test because of missing o2 sensors. I knew this would happen and i called around before hand to find a shop that will work with me to get it through. PA emissions law states that if you fail emissions and can show you spent a min of $150 to fix it, you can get by on a waiver. I ordered the O2 sensors online for ~$160 and now i am just waiting for them to come in. Hoping to get back to the garage next week and get this taken care of.

I can't get over how slow my truck felt after driving only the car for 10 days straight. My truck is a manual and the first time pulling out of the driveway i had to make sure i was't in 3rd gear. it was in 1st but just not taking off like i had been use to in the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Man I'm dreaming about mine being set up like this. Just got my 03 a month ago. Using her as my daily but once I get another vehicle, this is my type of plans 👌

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Tranny was replaced when the clutch was done in 2015. The receipt just notes "used is300 transmission". I am assuming it is a W55.

I am planning a trip to a tuner for the reasons you say and I am not sure what it is tuned with. The owner that did all the work was not who I bought it through so I couldn't get this info when buying. He was the last owner but I got it from a small garage.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Nice ride. I’ve got a copy of the SRT Turbo kit install manual, if you’d like it emailed just PM me. If your kit is original, the engine management is a Haltech Sprint 500. I think it only controlled fueling, not timing. I’m sure you’re aware of the limits of the W55, so I won’t beat that horse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts