Lexus IS Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #41

apart from the trans oil being a little old and dirty the pan was remarkably clean just like the oil pan , pics are also for reference for later when reconnecting the connections

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

Now that the oil pan assembly is completely out i now have access to the mains and rods so i can replace and up grade all to arp rods and studs. Note that when taking off the aluminum cast housing I really had to jack the engine up lifting off the engine mounts, and even the power steering lines where in the way, trans lines, lol and it just wouldn't give it up with out a fight. And also it does help if the crank is lined up nicely as well for more clearance to remove it. -__- least its out

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

After removing the oil pan assembly I was finally able to start focusing on the main engine bay tear down. Good thing alot of these bolts are just a simple 10mm and 12mm, with my little milwaukee impact made quick and easy work at removing most of the overhead

And of course the exhaust would still be giving me some problems. Couldn't full remove the exhaust due to the rusted bolts frozen together, and I couldn't remove the whole assembly thru the top, so had to jack the car up again and bust out the saw saw for the final cuts. It really helps if you put some penetrating oil on the nuts and studs before taking them off, just let it soak for a few mins was able to just burp them off with the impact quick and clean

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

So after chopping it thru with the saw I found this interesting that it was a double walled exhaust pipping. What really sucks about this is that Cadillac had this design as well and when it would get hot and cool rapidly like hitting a puddle or something to that extent the case would be that it would collapse the inside pipe but not the outside and choke the engine out. Interesting Lexus. Either that or they had some serious rusting issues that needed for this to take place.

All said and done time to weight this beast and see what it will be against our new stainless exhaust.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So come to find out that when removing the exhaust system, this thing has 4 O2 sensors..... 4..... why in the all that is good would you have this many.. not even my 2012 cummins has that many. 2 pre cats, 1 post cat, and 1 mid pipe... that is ridiculous . I was how ever able to remove 1 lol that in and of it self is a victory in my books. But no seriously Lexus???

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

Now that the hard parts are done, now its time to move on to the intake, valve cover, waterpump, pulleys, the whole head, ie valves, retainers, springs, cams, custom -an fittings to the valve cover towers. So much to do yet. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
So come to find out that when removing the exhaust system, this thing has 4 O2 sensors..... 4..... why in the all that is good would you have this many.. not even my 2012 cummins has that many. 2 pre cats, 1 post cat, and 1 mid pipe... that is ridiculous . I was how ever able to remove 1 lol that in and of it self is a victory in my books. But no seriously Lexus???
2 primary cats and and 02 in front of each one and an 02 behind each one. Fairly typical for an inline 6. The whole point of the secondary 02's is to measure how well the cats are working. That's why you have one secondary per primary cat.

For all the work you're doing, I'd have probably yanked the entire drive train as a unit. Or dropped it out from underneath since you have a lift. Would make the whole process easier.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts