Lexus IS Forum banner

My final 3 rotor RX-7

66K views 250 replies 54 participants last post by  ericwudi0830 
#1 ·
I been trying to convince my wife to let me get rid of my Acura TL and get something more fun as a daily (IS-F). I been on here doing some research and thought I share my current built.. a 3 rotor last generation project.

I've posted this on other forums so pardon me if you already saw this somewhere else.. However, I'll shorten things and post just pics of what's been happening since Nov. last year.

To start.. the car.. I found a guy selling a 93 VR touring FD in New Orleans. Luckily it was just a shell but didn't have a title. Seller said, it had a clean title but does not have it because the guy he bought it from never sent it. Luckily through my rotary car connections, I was able to contact the previous seller, and then the seller before that to get a clean viable title.

Here are some pics of the car when I was picking it up from New Orleans.

Next morning in New Orleans

From there car went to my friend and fabricator Walker Morgan @ Morgan Performance Fabrication

At MPFab, we installed the engine in so walker can develop a new manifold for the car.

The 20B/ 3 Rotor Engine...

Here is when it was just built.

Its from the last year Eunos Cosmo 3 Rotor, "D" series motor, broken down and rebuilt with ported intake, less restrictive 13B-REW exhaust sleeves, Balanced rotating assemblies, Lapped housings, and all new seals and gaskets... And built by one of the best builder I know.. Luis Canizales.

Engine in!

See less See more
#104 ·
Update - November 8th, 2012

I'm going to try to share my experience over the past 2-3 weeks of putting the car together to, journey across the USA to SEMA Las Vegas, to Journey back.

I'll try to go through the journey over next 2-3 days.. And I promise you guys, there will be ton of pics :)

To start, I was waiting for my paint and body guys Jonathan Goolsby and his crew to paint the body so I could start working on the car.

Paint we've chosen was BASF Mercedes AMG Imola Grey Metallic with hint of darker tint.

Here is a picture of the car before and after the shell was painted.

Car at this point had nothing on it except stock suspensions and some old school VOLK wheels to roll the shell around.

More coming when I get some more photos uploaded..

#105 ·
Update - Nov. 9th, 2012

Update continues..

When i first saw the car after paint, I decided to clean up the wheel wells and put a nice new coat of undercarriage paint.

But til then, I also decided to drop the rear subframe and do it right :)

I then taped up the wheel arch and went to town with the paint.

Front after paint..

Rear painted and with new subframe and new diff on.

#107 ·
Thank you!

Update... Nov. 18th, 2012

Putting in the Engine and trans..

I've decided to drop the subframe and install the engine by sliding it under and lifting it up and bolting the subframe..

After that, we started it bolting up all the suspensions and brakes..

front

front and rear

front and rear completed.

#109 ·
Update - Nov. 19th, 2012

While Goolsby Customs were working on the panels, I went to pick up the trailer for SEMA in Nashville, TN from a buddy of mine (Thanks Vinnie!).

Love the graphics! :)

Panels were added..
Rear flares, hatch, wing..

Front fenders with with RE Carbon mirrors.

Closer look of the rear flares..

FEED wing and flares.

Feed fender brace

Old school wheels on :)

And time to transport it to my fabricator's shop (Morgan Performance Fabrication).

#114 ·
Update Dec. 6th, 2012

Well, I been busy with other stuff and totally forgot to continue with my sega... not that anyone cares.. Anyhow, here are some more pics and more of previous build progress.

Arriving at MPFab.com

New OEM parts..

Mr. Walker Morgan started to install the goodies..

Turbonetics Inc. GT-K 1050 Turbo

Bracing that I had, refinished and installed.

Figuring out where to mount the reservoirs.

Front bumper on.. and the Rmagic with the covers.. We decided to leave them off..

#121 ·
Some photos from my journey to SEMA 2012..

Saw several of these..

This car from NYC was heading to SEMA...

Later found out that the 350Z was in the caravan with one of my rotary friend from NYC... Manny who owns this FD.

I've known Manny for many years and one of the few rotorheads who's been in FD's for over 10 years. I think he had his FD since 1994??

Anyhow, 3 day trip to Vegas, we saw several of these..

many many semi's and many of the wind power stations.

And finally made it to Vegas..

and to the convention center.. in que to get the car in..

#123 ·
At SEMA update...

Sorry for the lack of update.. I'm going to share my experience at SEMA.

Well, as you guys have read, I have put the car together in 6 out of 8 days after chasis was painted. Due to lack of time, car is a roller... which made it very difficult at SEMA.

First, we couldn't unload the car until we were placed at a certain location to unload. We waited over 2 hours between central and south hall, waiting someone for us to goto a specific location to unload.

Finally after 2 hours, we were moved to front of central to unload the car.

From here, they couldn't figure out where I was suppose to park. We now waited another 2 hours til someone figured out where I needed to park.. which was front of North Hall.. a good 1/4 mile away from where we drop the car off, through the central hall, to North hall.

Waiting to be moved.. again..

While waiting, Enjuku Racing posted this photo on their facebook page... First photo to be leaked with all the panels on..

And finally made it to my spot... and before decals got on.

#126 ·
LOL!

We didn't have time to really finish the interior pieces.. So, when I got back from SEMA, I pulled them out and sent them to Goolsby Customs to get it refinished.. They were ready today and picked them up!

Defi Cluster gauge surround that I made.. Man! Love the finish!!

Prosport center speaker pod..

Center console that I made.. again.. Goolsby customs did a great job with the paint.

Some of the other interior parts..

#127 ·
I realized I haven't updated this in awhile..

Well, I been changing the look of my MB FD and here is how it looks now.

I been also trying to finish up the 20B FD and testing out the Defi DSSC.

Making the CF surround.

Also install the push start button.

Power up cluster to make sure all the is good.

And simplifying the interior harness to keep only things I need.. like power window, brakes, turn signal,...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.