Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Again, while I was waiting on the shell..

decided to shave off the casting seams and paint the Upper intake manifold of the engine.

I was going to powder coat it red.. but thought i give the similar gray black look

and inserted a carbon fiber to tie the whole car together :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Looking good man. The first 3 rotor I ever saw in person was Chris Carlisi's (RIP).

Which mounting kit did you use?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
ughh. love FDs
Thanks!

Looking good man. The first 3 rotor I ever saw in person was Chris Carlisi's (RIP).

Which mounting kit did you use?
Yeah, I used to chat with Chris all the time.. Its sad, RIP Chris...

I'm using Defined kit. But as I stated earlier, It was more issues after issues than what I expected. Amount of time I've spent on it, my fabricator, MPFab.com could of built one... Which I'm kind of wished I did as I waited almost a year and I ended up getting different LIM. I also had to spend another $200 or so cutting their alternator relocation kit as I could of ran single belt vs. 2. Again, I wished we had just did it all ourselves..

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wow, sounds pretty shoddy. I think Hinson sells a 20B mounting kit which has been rated decently. I used them for my LS swap and everything fit pretty darn well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Wow, sounds pretty shoddy. I think Hinson sells a 20B mounting kit which has been rated decently. I used them for my LS swap and everything fit pretty darn well.
LOL! Funny you've mentioned about Hinson... because it was me who told them they should make the 20B sub frame kit. I've known them since Hinson's first LS FD.

what headlights are those?
As stated, R-Magic.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thats too funny about Hinson. I miss my 7 but there is no way it would have stood up to Brooklyn streets and it would have cost a fortune to keep it secured. Maybe someday when I actually have a garage and dont drive on streets that look like a bomb went off.

What transmission did you use?

·
Registered
224 Posts
lol I know they look like R-magic but theres 2 other companys selling them now that are not R-magic
Ahhhh, sorry about that. Didnt expect to get a question about who makes a replica kit for an RX7 on an IS site. Will leave that to Herb..

I wish there was a company that was making Rotary Run replicas when i was doing my build. I always loved how they looked on the Endless car..

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Regarding R-Magic lights.. I actually have 2 sets of these (I think only like 5-6 sets here in USA). One set is from this months Import Tuner cover car, and now on my car :) Other set, I got a mold made and a friend might be selling them in near future... and then on my other RX7.

There are only one look alike on the market. I believe a guy in Cali took replica RE-Amemiya, cut the top to look like this and put some lights on it. They look good, but R magic one has a lens cover. Just the cut version, I question what it might happen at high speed.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
the one with the mold does a guy named Phil from AZ have?
Adam, not sure about that phil, but I'm Phil from Birmingham.

As stated, mold has been made from a light that has been installed on a car. Fitment should be similar to real thing. But I'm having issues with the real thing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Other one is RE-A bucket (maybe modified) with cover cut.

I'm not having issues with the mold, the REAL thing has issues and needs quite a bit of work to get it perfect (ie gaps etc). So, the replica will require decent paint and body guy to fit it perfect. The real thing I have is from the cover car of the newest Import Tuner magazine..

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
While the car was at the paint and body.. I continued what I can at home..

Test fit the intake manifold to the short block..

Than I disassembled my throttle body and painted to match..

I also painted my GREX/Alcon calipers.

but one of them needs to be refinished...

Sand blasted by suspension pieces and bead blasted..

And pushed the old bushing out and I accidentally broke one of the arm as I was going on little sleep and rushing the work..

And installed my new Powerflex bushings! I got the Powerflex bushings because they are well made and heard great things from people who used them.

21 - 40 of 251 Posts