Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok for the life of my is300 I have used a few different tires I will list them below.

1. Stock Dunlops sp9000's
Great tire, Love how they handle, road noise wasn't bad but the price killed at 175 a pop.
2. Khumo... Don't remember which kind. 18s. Noise sucked, wear sucked and wet traction wasn't there.
3. Toyo' T1s. Loud tire, sounded sticky all the time. The tires had good wear but I only used them 3000 miles and I sold my rims. I ride with the windows down and the sticky sound bothered me. I prolly wouldn't ever use them again.

4. General UHP's. Stock sizing. Barely any noise at all, great grip in corners. Last night I pushed the car to 80 on the off ramp. I stayed on the inside line the whole time and didn't lose any traction. The tires don't grab the grooves on the freeway like the dunlops did and thats a + it doesn't pull me away from the lane im traveling in. They do have VERY VERY Soft sidewalls but for no noise, no issues at high speed and the react well in the rain Im happy overall.

Cost break down between the UHP and the SP9000's

UHP
73 each
SP9000

My total was 333.38 on the UHP's and my total on the dunlops last time was 738.00

So I saved about 400$ in the long run and the tire feels better to me than the SP9000 did. Now this is only based on 200-300 miles so I will update this review when I get more miles on the tires.

D

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Nice!

A new believer! I really love these tires. Great grip especially considering the cost, i'm also boosted btw. Takes so effort to actually break these loose. I'm running these also however in a 40 profile. Apparently from what I hear the soft sidewalls are not so noticeable with lower profiles. Great tires!

·
It's 5 o'clock somewhere.
6,017 Posts
I had the general exclaim uhp's on my car and loved them...225/40/18's all around. They were inexpensive and great quality imo. The customers ratings for them on tirerack were excellent too.

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
of only more people drove like a maniac with a purpose these reviews would be useful to me....

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
I have these on my 5zigen wheels and i like them alot. they do hook and grab very well and the price for them is amazing. and im comparing these to toyo proxes4. they are also very quiet too! my pproxes4 were overall better tire but honestly they were loud and almost 250 plus more than these so i like these much better. performance to cost ration goes in favor of the uhp's

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
When i get wheels these will be my next tires. Reason being is price and quietness. 2 things that matter to me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
For those who've used these on 19's, do you think the "soft" sidewalls mentioned leave your wheels more vulnerable to potholes and the like or are they equivalant to other tires in that area?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I got the General UHP's and to me they are the best bang for the buck! great looking tred too! lol

didnt really believe in them when i first got em..but realize i can hit the turns pretty hard and keep control.

·
Registered
96 Posts
For those who've used these on 19's, do you think the "soft" sidewalls mentioned leave your wheels more vulnerable to potholes and the like or are they equivalant to other tires in that area?
I live in Boston where there are potholes everywhere!!, maybe one of the worse citys around. I have hit potholes after potholes and my rims are still perfect. (besides the curb rashes) NO DENTS so far and i have hit some bad potholes, including a sewer cap because of the ripped up road, but thats just bad driving !! lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts