Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone else have family members that think you're stupid for doing/wanting to do stuff to your car? I just got in a HUGE blow out argument all because I wanted to try to include a family member in something I was excited about (tranny swap and how cool it is and boost and blah blah blah). Then I get back "you know what is really cool, saving your money. A better hobby would be selling all your stuff and saving your money". WOW thats F'ing GAY. Yeah jerking off into my pile of money would be real sweet is what I said!:pissed: I'm VERY PISSED OFF RIGHT NOW and almost elbowed a hole through the door......:pissed:...I want to go drive around but then I'd probably crash.

Reactions: mkiiina

·
Registered
853 Posts
i hear ya there. Every time i do some mod to my car, even if its the smallest kind, i always get an ear-full. i understand where they come from though, they just want me to save my money in case of a rainy day. that's just family tryin to look out for the best interest for you. but the way i see it, its nice to treat myself every once in a while with a gift for my car. but hey, when it comes to your car, you got a giant family here that'll give you the thumbs up :approve:

Reactions: Nicademus323

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man, making my cool down a little bit more already. I've got a bit of a temper problem I guess.... At least I'm not blowing my money on drugs or something right?

Reactions: Tokoyama

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I told them by giving me shit all there doing is encouraging me to lie and do things behind there backs cause otherwise they'll just talk shit.

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
Thats why I dont tell anyone what kind of things I am doing to my car. Even after I install it. If they see it, they just ask, when did you do that. I tell them, a while ago. Then conversation goes from there to another story away from my car. :lol: Then it never gets brought up again.

Family will always tell you not to invest into your car, because it is a money pit and it has no value. I just leave at that. But then they start preaching about how the economy is going down and down. Then i tell them. Thats why I have a J-O-B :lol:

Reactions: LEXIGRL

·
Registered
104 Posts
I hear you man, I definitley get an ear-full with any little mod, but think about it, saving your money ain't such a bad idea.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Unless your family is paying for your car, I'd kindly tell them to piss off. Your car is a great way to understand how things work and who knows, you could turn out to have your own custom shop one day and family members will be coming to you for a job. Oh yeah one more thing, if you happen to still be living at home, I'd keep the "piss off" comment to myself.

Reactions: mpc4000

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Enjoy your hobby and definitely treat yourself every once in awhile. No point making money if you can't enjoy it.

That said...you're family is just looking out for you. They've been where you've been and are speaking from experience.

Just show them that you can handle yourself and make reasonable decisions. Don't throw all you money at the car and have nothing left for the rest of your dreams. You don't want to be a slave to your car and have all your money going into a depreciating asset. It might be cool now, but it won't be so cool when the rest of your more practical friends are moving on, getting houses, and real lives while you have nothing more to show than your old fixed up car that is worth nothing, and credit cards worth of dept.

Something to think about...

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The car is mine, but..........:blush: I still live at home. Oh yeah did I mention I'm almost 26!:jawDrop: :blush: :( However, I did recently finish college (yeah yeah it took me a while:rolleyes: ), and I have the whole basement of the house to myself which is setup as it's own apartment thingy (no I'm not paying rent or for food,:blush: sooooo I should probably just suck it). And yes I'm trying to justify living at home at 25 cause I realize it sucks and is never tight bringing a girl down around the side of my PARENTS house at night and slipping in the basement door. I usually tell her the same things as above ^^ or just keep her mouth occupied:rolleyes: ummmm yeah soooo now what does everyone think? Living above my means? NOPE. I have money saved (and I'm saving more) and could move out but I want to go from here into a condo or something that I'm paying a mortgage on and not pissing away rent money.

Wow, I really never planned on disclosing to the whole my.is community that I live with my parents. SOOoooo ummmm ladies.....hows it going?:cool:

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with ya TeCK, my car definitely is not an asset. If it was a 98' Supra Turbo or something then maybe I could claim it kinda is as long as I didn't molest it too hard. Definitely know what your talking about with the statement about having my friends move on to bigger and better things. I put my life on hold for a while involved with unproductive behaviors. I can tell you think at least somewhat like me and have a logical head on your shoulders.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow 10 people viewing this thread right now......ummmm sooo yeah I was kidding about the living with the parents thing...I actually live in a 9,000 square foot home and umm have lots of....ummmm cool things that cost a lot?? ok ok I suck.

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
^^^^:lol: this BTW, dont be :blush: when you say you live at home. YOur not the only one, but then your 26 :blush: I myself dont live at home, but you have your head on straight. You went and finished college. Thats an impressive thing tht you did.
I, myself, never went past 12th grade :p
I have a day to day job, but want something more. So I might do some technical colllege, to get a little more back bone on my life.

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
Wow 10 people viewing this thread right now......ummmm sooo yeah I was kidding about the living with the parents thing...I actually live in a 9,000 square foot home and umm have lots of....ummmm cool things that cost a lot?? ok ok I suck.
Arent you glad, you didnt post this in the PL :lol:

Reactions: Nicademus323

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I've never been in the parking lot, I stay out of there cause the only posts I see pop up from in there are about how people wash there balls and wang in public restrooms, STRANGE

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
if word of this made it to the PL, hilarity would ensue. The PL really is a dangerous place, especially if they don't know who you are.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Don't be too hard on yourself. You're still plenty young...and most importantly, finished college. You have great parents that are giving you a solid platform putting you up so you have a good stepping stone. A college degree and supporting parents is something a lot of people don't have, so don't take it for granted and toss it away.

The right decisions at this point in your life will make huge dividends later.

You can enjoy now AND enjoy later if you make the right choices.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Once again TeCK I totally agree and as I get older I realize how lucky I am that I have parents like I do. I would be no where without them, well at least not in the same place I am now.

Hey at least I didn't do this to my car: Click Me!
If I did I'd expect my parents to have me forcefully committed for at least a few years.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had an IS300 when I lived at home ~3 years ago, but I didn't modify it. I'm able to justify having a nice car with a decent monthly payment on it since I got a great deal on it and I needed a reliable car for the drive in to work. However, there's NO WAY I'd be able to justify modifying it, or adding wheels to it while living at home. It's not living above your means, it's mis-allocating important funds for sure though and is an act of saying I'm-not-taking-this-moving-out-thing-seriously.

As a general rule though, wether I'm tinting my windows or buying imported japanese jeans, I don't tell anyone the cost. It's none of their business, it's my money. Just the act of it though shows some inconsideration on your part, once you're truly free and clear you can tell them to f right off. I commend your wanting to do a tranny swap though, that's pretty frickin cool.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah you definitely have a point. I'm sure they feel like if I have ALL this money to be spending than why don't I pay them some rent or food money or move out. Thats why I typically don't tell them stuff and have secret bank accounts and what not. My dad used to be way into cars when he was younger so I was hoping to include him and wanted him to be part of everything and get involved. I thought it would be a way to spend more time with him but it turned into bullshit instead. Sucks really...

1 - 20 of 137 Posts