Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was about to order the SRT intake when I decided to call my dealer. A service tech. was dead against it saying it will "absolutely void the warranty". He said it's possible that this can void the whole powertrain warranty because more often then not they will assume that the aftermarket part caused the problem (hard to prove otherwise). Also said they can tell whether the aftermarket intake was previously installed or not. I really want to get the intake but guess I'll wait- probably worth it if you don't want to go through all that mess.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Uhhh bad move. Never tell the dealer you're planning on messing with aftermarket stuff. With just an intake mod it's usually easy to plop the manufacturer's one back in before you take the car to the dealer for warranty work.

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't tell him who I was obviously. By the way I'm piss broke too after getting my IS.

[This message has been edited by PMD911 (edited January 19, 2001).]

·
Registered
215 Posts
Put it in Perspective:

I had a
1984 Toyota Tercel 165k miles = Never once in for Warranty work.

1994 Toyota Camry V6 18k miles = Never in once (Alright it was totaled w/in the first 9 months, but still never in).

1995 Toyota Camry V6 = 97k miles never in for any repair work.

1996 Toyota 4-Runner = 66K miles, in once to replace the Radio/CD/Tape player (Only 1/2 the radio lit up).

1995 Lexus ES 300 120K miles = in once for wind noise thru the Sunroof.

Morale of the story is: That is why we bought a Lexus. The sh1t don't break.

It the same reason I laughed at the finance guy when he tried to sell me the extended warranty. Who needs it?

Keep your service up and you and your Lexus will grow old together.

Where is Karl Marx when you need him?

------------------
01 Silver IS 300 w/SRT Intake
01 Toyota Sequoia Limited

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Softshell,
How do u like the intake so far? Are u guaranteeing that nothing will happen to my car? Put your Sequoia down on it.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I have a 94 Toyota 4x4 pickup that had a recall job on the heads due to defective head gaskets, but this was clearly a manufacturing/production defect.

I have never made a claim under that vehicles warranty.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I absolutely love the intake. It sounds awesome under hard acceleration, but you don't even notice it during "normal" driving. I have had it on 1 week exactly and I definitely notice an increase in the power, especially above 3800 rpm. Just filled up my tank 16 [email protected] miles, you do the math. But please understand I have been getting on it every chance I get so I am sure this is not a representative mileage figure.

As far as guaranteeing it, sure I am feeling frisky. What the hell it is only a Sequoia (just kidding).

As I understand it the mod has to be directly linked to the warranty issue. So if your LSD craps out, it will be hard to make the Intake/LSD connection. I don't know. All I do know is that I have never had a mechanical failure that required warranty work on a Toyota/Lexus product I have owned since 1984 (I am 36 yr. old). That is why I buy nothing but Toyota products. Sure there are faster cars and bigger trucks, but the German’s stuff cost a fortune to maintain, and generally (NOTE: this is a generalization and individual results will vary, so keep your comments to yourselves) fall apart after 120k. American stuff = junk, all kinds of bad things start to happen at the 70k mark. Say what you want about Toyota/Lexus but it runs forever. So do what you will (within reason) and enjoy your IS. It is a great car. May not be the fastest, but as far a value is concern, we are at the top of the heap.

Back to the intake, Definite recommendation. My only beef is that I paid 795.00 for it (you listening MO) and now you can get it for 595.00. I am going to call and see if MO will give me a deal on his new Torque converter when it comes out in March.

One last thing, this whole warranty issue could be moot if certain "deals" work out. Don't ask me any more I have been sworn to secrecy. But it doesn't take much to read between the lines.

------------------

·
Registered
215 Posts
Oh yeah, thanks Risk,

I did have a head job done on my 4-Runner, but it too was a recall and not warranty work.

------------------

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Originally posted by Softsell:
I absolutely love the intake. It sounds awesome under hard acceleration, but you don't even notice it during "normal" driving. I have had it on 1 week exactly and I definitely notice an increase in the power, especially above 3800 rpm. Just filled up my tank 16 [email protected] miles, you do the math. But please understand I have been getting on it every chance I get so I am sure this is not a representative mileage figure.

As far as guaranteeing it, sure I am feeling frisky. What the hell it is only a Sequoia (just kidding).

As I understand it the mod has to be directly linked to the warranty issue. So if your LSD craps out, it will be hard to make the Intake/LSD connection. I don't know. All I do know is that I have never had a mechanical failure that required warranty work on a Toyota/Lexus product I have owned since 1984 (I am 36 yr. old). That is why I buy nothing but Toyota products. Sure there are faster cars and bigger trucks, but the German’s stuff cost a fortune to maintain, and generally (NOTE: this is a generalization and individual results will vary, so keep your comments to yourselves) fall apart after 120k. American stuff = junk, all kinds of bad things start to happen at the 70k mark. Say what you want about Toyota/Lexus but it runs forever. So do what you will (within reason) and enjoy your IS. It is a great car. May not be the fastest, but as far a value is concern, we are at the top of the heap.

Back to the intake, Definite recommendation. My only beef is that I paid 795.00 for it (you listening MO) and now you can get it for 595.00. I am going to call and see if MO will give me a deal on his new Torque converter when it comes out in March.

One last thing, this whole warranty issue could be moot if certain "deals" work out. Don't ask me any more I have been sworn to secrecy. But it doesn't take much to read between the lines.

i know exactly what your talking about softsell

i have spoken to MO a few times and all i have to say is if you want one.....YOU BETTER BUY IT QUICK....dont be surprised if the price increases drastically in the future....

do not wait on this intake....if you want it....get it now...it will NEVER be 595.00 again and you can count on that...

"anxiously waiting my SRT intake next week"

------------------
Later

MIKE
ONYX 01, Fully loaded, Graphite Polished, Factory Spoiler, SRT Intake (on order)

[This message has been edited by mccarlin (edited January 19, 2001).]

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I guess that big "deal" Mo was talking about was the deal with Shin-Kai Racing. He first said that the price might skyrocket. Now the set price is $595 w/ free shipping, according to shinkairacing.com. People could've saved some money if he told us sooner but I guess business is business. Heard he's a cool dude tho. I'll probably get mine after 5000 service. They're doing something with TOM's so we'll see- check Performance Forum........

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Originally posted by PMD911:
Yeah, I guess that big "deal" Mo was talking about was the deal with Shin-Kai Racing. He first said that the price might skyrocket. Now the set price is $595 w/ free shipping, according to shinkairacing.com. People could've saved some money if he told us sooner but I guess business is business. Heard he's a cool dude tho. I'll probably get mine after 5000 service. They're doing something with TOM's so we'll see- check Performance Forum........

no the deal that happened with shinkairacing.com was not the "DEAL" that i was talking about......there are other deals in the works...and im sworn to secrecy (is that how you spell it)

Just get it fast and hold on to it if you have to...cause it will not be 595.00 a month fom now.....maybe not even next week...who knows.....

Only MO and the SRT team know!!!!!!

------------------
Later

MIKE
ONYX 01, Fully loaded, Graphite Polished, Factory Spoiler, SRT Intake (on order)

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mccarlin,
so u r saying u know what this "DEAL" is. (i'm doing that quote gesture like dr. evil)

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Originally posted by PMD911:
mccarlin,
so u r saying u know what this "DEAL" is. (i'm doing that quote gesture like dr. evil)
Well all im sayin is that there is somthin in the works and if it happens the Intake will be Very Expensive. thats it....your not gettin any more from me......stop askin...i cant take it.....

------------------
Later

MIKE

·
Registered
215 Posts
You are very cold with regards to the Deal.

As for the Mileage, Yup. But as I stated, I had my foot to the floor ALOT. I would not expect to get good mileage regardless of whether I had the intake or not. But there is something about that sound under full throttle that makes one not give a hoot about MPG. I just filled up and I am going to try and be a normal driver and see what kind of mileage I get. But it is very hard to do. I just love the sound and acceleration, reminds me of my days with the old 460 ci 4bbl 72' Thunderbird.

Anyhow MPG is suppose to increase, if you can keep your foot out of it.

------------------

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One more question I swear: Would people pay more than $995 (original price) for 17 HP increase?? Thanks I'll shut up now.

Originally posted by mccarlin:
Well all im sayin is that there is somthin in the works and if it happens the Intake will be Very Expensive. thats it....your not gettin any more from me......stop askin...i cant take it.....

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Originally posted by Softsell:
You are very cold with regards to the Deal.
Is this remark towards me or to PMD911
i haved talked to MO several times and i believe i know a secret (hehe)maybe he told you too!!!!!

------------------
Later

MIKE

·
Registered
62 Posts
the dealer likes to use scare tactics. I had the same thing happen to me with my A4...they tried to deny me service on my clutch becuase I had aftermarket Brake Fluid (on the A4 the brakes and Cluch share the same fluid reservoir). The fluid was DOT approved.

I told them that if I HAD to use Audi fluid only, theybetter show me where it says that in the manual, and why there is not a BIG sticker in the engine bay.

They just said "uhhh". I then showed them the Magnusen-Moss act (the warranty act, I think that is the name). And said i would love to talk to them about it.

they took my car no questions asked the next day...clutch was fixed...free of charge.

be educated and don't let them screw with you.

BTW..I think I know what the SRT deal is also. nice piece.

later,
Chris Ciccone
(soon to be new E-commerce IS300 performance store owner:) Keep an eye out.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Originally posted by ciccone376:

They just said "uhhh". I then showed them the Magnusen-Moss act (the warranty act, I think that is the name). And said i would love to talk to them about it.

Do you have a web site for this Magnusen thingie......i would love to have a copy ready for my dealer when they try to screw me....

thanks

------------------
Later

MIKE

·
Registered
215 Posts
It was directed to PMD.

And while nothing is for certain, lets keep our ears tuned to the board for any possible en-lightment.

------------------

1 - 20 of 37 Posts