Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now know it has nothing to do with the springs or the height, it's just a item u need to watch out for when u lower ur car, located above the break in the front driver side... When someone lowers ur car show them that and advise them not to touch it...

HERE IS WHAT I NEED

Does anyone have info on how i can get this fixed and do it myself?? has anyone fixed it and have pics of the unit and how to adjust it???

I need help ASAP!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
It is the cause of the unlevel drop of the H&R springs. The front is droped 1.4 and the rear is 1.5 but actually much lower than those numbers. Anyways the sensor is indicated because the front is lower than the rear and is therefore unlevel. I posted something a while back on how to fix this so do a search under my screen name or it might be a couple of pages back in this section. After you fix the headlight sensor switch in the rear, your lights will shine high like brights, so you have to adjust them from the light itself, best way to do this is in a garage where it will be dim lighted, the owners manual tell you how to adjust them, you just keep turning till you get to the desired hight, the outside circles are for the HID light and the inside are for the daytime running. It is not too hard probably will take about 30-60 min. Let me know if you need it to be more detailed, but you will understand when you read the other post and actually start working on it.

Chris

[ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: VVTIS ]

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here's VVTIS's old post.

This may only work for the H&R springs, but here are directions to fix it. The reason the headlight sensor appeared is because the level of the front and rear springs that come from H&R. The springs lower the car 1.4 in the front and 1.5 in the rear, but is actually much lower for both. Anyways, the only sensor that needs to be adjusted is the rear because it is higher than the front. The sensor is right next to the strut on the rear driver side wheel well and looks like a arm connected to a slide. The factory setting of the slide is 1.5 inches from the top of the slide directly in the middle. You do not have to remove the rim to get to the sensor and should only take about 10 min to fix. Go to the rear of the car and look by the inside of the rim.
First grab a 10mm wrench and use the closed end to loosen the bolt.
Move the slide up to the very top, then adjust down about 4 cm.(It helps if you have the car in the ACC postion and someone checking to see if it turned off.)
After in correct position and you have checked it by turning the car on and off, tighten it and you are done.
You will not have to adjust the front, only rear. Hope this helps for the people that are still getting the sensor light.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i thought it was as easy as getting another stock is300 and then taking off the front tire, taking off the back tire, and then adjust mine to match theirs

·
Registered
104 Posts
I guess this way u don't even need to do that, It sure beats pulling off each tire, beats doing it on an integ w/ skunks.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dude do u have aol or aim??

if so i am GGPIS300

I know im gonna mess this up!

ohh well the dealer wont help i need to do it

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
It is not that hard to do, you should not have to adjust both sensors because the front is already too low, you need to adjust the back to compensate for the change in height. It is easy, you dont even need to jack the car up, if I had to do it now, it would probably take about 10min, granted I have done it before. The dealership does not know how to fix it, I went to them and they said to disconect it or live with it. You should not mess it up, it is easy, just have someone to watch the sensor light to tell you when it turns off, the easy part is adjusting the sensor, the hard part is adjusting the light itself to get to the level you want. My aol name is jestac01 and I am on pretty ofter, expecially now since I still haven't got a job. Let me know

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This may be asking alot! but can u take a pic of the item i need to adjust, now im lost about adjusting the ride height~~~~~

I mean the head lights~

[ June 05, 2001: Message edited by: is300soon ]

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i took off the bolts to the pin, i was scared that i couldn't get the pin back in so i stopped , now i look up and i see a rod that swivels on a ball joint, connected to that is a bolt that i have never seen in my life. So now im stuck once more// NEED MORE HELP!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
What pin are you speaking of? You should not have to take it off all the way, just enough to loosen it. Do you have some one else to watch the sensor light while you adjust it? As for the headlight, look in page 273 of the owners manual to see the exact bolts I am speaking of. They are dirctly behind the headlight under the hood.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Oh, the pin you are speaking of, lie down in the rear of the car and look at the driver and pasenger side, you will notice that the driver side has a arm hooking to the strut, or close to it, and the passenger side does not. That is the bolt you adjust to remove the headlight sensor. Put it all the way to the top of the arm(bolt) and adjust it down slowly till the sensor turns off. That is why you need someone to help you, they tell you when it turned off. You then tighten it and you are done with the sensor adjustment. Now you look in the owners manual and adjust the beam of the headlight. It is better if you are in a dark room because you will see if the beem is moving up or down. My email is [email protected] if you have any more questions. Or just post it here.
Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts