Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
you have any pics of what it looks like, depending on the severity, you may just be able to fill it in and add a layer of clear coat

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
that's not right, on my old camry i had 2 CF hoods, the first was damaged in an accident. the first one i had, the fiberglass reinforcement was separated from the CF layer, so i took the CF layer and FOLDED the layer and put it into my car hoping it could be salvaged. the hood is perfect except the scratches that were on it because it scraped on the asphalt after the accident. otherwise, even after the hood had been folded in half there were no cracks. you should take your hood back to the manufacturer and see if they can remedy the situation.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
niceis300 said:
I am sorry it is the clear coat. if I put a new layer on it will still show the cracks!
hey man if you say its on the clear coat

that is fixable

body shops will sand it down as close to the cf as they can and blend it or respray the whole hood

go shop around
it should not cost more than 200 for just clearcoating
well atleast you dont have to buy a new hood

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
niceis300 said:
I am sorry it is the clear coat. if I put a new layer on it will still show the cracks!
hey man if you say its on the clear coat

that is fixable

body shops will sand it down as close to the cf as they can and blend it or respray the whole hood

go shop around
it should not cost more than 200 for just clearcoating
well atleast you dont have to buy a new hood

·
my.is Headlight Guru
4,786 Posts
I have the VIS CF hood and its got gel coat like on a boat not clearcoat like on a car. I know this because I wanted to paint it but you can't paint over gel coat.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
LCA575 said:
I have the VIS CF hood and its got gel coat like on a boat not clearcoat like on a car. I know this because I wanted to paint it but you can't paint over gel coat.
sorry but gel coats are paintable too

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Odd mines painted go figure.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Have you talked to Han about this? Is what I'm reading in your sig correct?...you have an HKS CF Vented hood! Damn that thing costs an arm and a leg! Try taking it to some performance shop in your area...I'm sure they'll know how to fix it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
LCA575 said:
I have the VIS also and I painted mine.

BenZ

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
LX4U2NV
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing