Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
CD players cannot read a cd-rw. None of them can. But CDRW writers and players can read CD-R's and CD's.

As for sound quality, thats incorrect. The sound is all 1's and 0's on any type of cd; on or off; digital. Sound quality is the same for all cd media.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My portable CD player does read CDRW. So I thought all new mobile CD players read CDRW too.
benm024, you are correct. The sound quality is the same theorically. I think IS300Fanatic meant CDRW discs are harder to read than CD-R since CDRW discs reflect lights less than CDRs.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Originally posted by mccarlin:
NO car players can read CD-RW! its impossible!

must get a MP3 deck to play all that jazz
NOT true... My Pioneer Headunit and changer both read CD-RW's fine.

Now if you're only considering stock headunits, I doubt any will play CDRWs

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Actually, a friend of mine has a '01 IS3 and he always plays CDR's on his stock 6 disc in-dash CD player...in fact, I think all of the CD's that are loaded are burned (not sure if any of the burned CD's are CDRW's though)

Please don't tell me they changed it for the '02's!
That would suck.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The issue with CDRW's vs. CDR vs. pressed CD's is reflectivity of the surface. If you take pressed CD's (e.i. store bought audio CDs) = 1.0, CDR = 0.65, CDRW = 0.3, roughly.

Non-computer CD players have a hard time picking enough reflected light off a CDRW, while a CDR is reflective enough. Some recent models can read CDRW's, but it isn't something to count on unless the manufacturer explicitly claims that the model can read them.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
four20, don't worry. We are talking CDRW, not CDR. The stock unit reads CDR discs fine

Any new info of your 02 GGP yet?

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Skycat...Yes, I actually spoke to Marc yesterday regarding vehicle allocation and unfortunately, the IS I'm looking for (GGP full-spec) wasn't in yesterday's allocation
. He said there is a IBP exactly like yours(full-spec)but I still want the GGP. Don't get me wrong, your car is sweet, but I've had my eye on the '02 GGP for a while now. Now I have to wait until the next vehicle allocation, which is in 2 weeks. Hopefully, the full-spec GGP will be one of the cars allocated then. If that is the case, I will have to wait an additional 3 weeks before it arrives at the dealership!
. Doesn't matter though, I told Marc I am in no rush, as long as I get the IS I am looking for. Wish me luck!

·
8,880 Posts
Re: LS 430

arkitectonix said:
My LS 430 reads CD-RW's perfectly fine.
1) This thread is a few years old.
2) My IS reads DVD-RW disks, but that has no relation to this thread.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ive had CD-RW media play in EVERY CD deck ive owned, for the last 6 years, pioneers, alpines, sonys etc.

Anywayz, ive tried Verbatim DataLife Plus 80 min Re-Writable media in my 2001 IS300, the deck aint havin it :p

Id be interested to have ppl reply with media they have tested in the IS300 and specifically the YEAR of vehicle. (perhaps newer vehicles are now capable of reading RW media and thus maybe a solution for me is to have Lexus replace my deck with a more current one. Curious, anyone know if Lexus use different decks in other models that may play CD-RW media that would be slot in replaceable in the IS300 2001

Please list

Media brands Known to work.

Media brands Not to working.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
47 Posts
Heh, hooray for bumpage of an old thread.

The DEH-P4000 Pioneer deck in my old Acura Legend played CDRW's just fine, but now I am finding that I will need to reburn a good bit of my music on CD-R's to get them to work. Good to see that this is something that affects everyone and not just me.

For the record I have a 2003 IS300, tested media was Memorex CDRW and HP CDRW (will edit post with better disc information later) and they do not work with the stock head unit.

As an asside, does anyone know if CD Text works with the stock head unit?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
15 Participants
wako
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing