Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an error 3 on my CD player and thought I would fix it by disconnecting the negative terminal on my battery (according to what the forums said here). When I plugged it back in, the AM/FM only works. I pressed the CD/eject/load button and the head unit has no reaction (doesn’t do anything). I looked at fuse #17 and #37 and both look fine. Is there anything I could do?

I’m not looking to change the head unit for an aftermarket as I want to keep my car OEM and I don’t want to swap it for another OEM unit as it looks brand new and it still has the original warning sticker on it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to give up on it yet. I just got a junkyard unit and I'm going to open it up to learn how the mechanical parts work inside it, practice on it, then I'll do it to my own head unit.

If it does not work, then (plan B) I'll just listen to the radio and install bluetooth from Grom or USASpec. Then I can listen to music from my phone instead of the CD player.

If I can't get the CD player to work then (plan C) I'll send it to a repair place and have them fix it for me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

I’m still not able to get it to work. But the weird thing is that I installed USA Spec to add Bluetooth to the head unit just to see if it will fix the issue and the CD button magically works. However, it will only let me go in Bluetooth mode though, and I can’t go to CD mode to eject the CDs out. When I unplug the USA Spec device, it goes back to normal and the CD button is unusable. I’m just going to get it diagnosed and fixed at a stereo shop.

Just for fun, here’s the warning sticker on my head unit. Anyone still remember these?

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you have problems with it jamming and getting CDs stuck it maybe the spindle that’s gabs the CDs. Sorry I can’t remember what the error messages were / meant. Mine was falling off and causing jams. I took a tiny speck of jb weld on a toothpick and reattached it / jb welded it to the shaft. Has worked fine with zero jams for the last 3 years or so now. Mine is an 01 with the original unit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Normally it'd be more cost-effective to just replace the radio, but given the car that this is coming out of, I can't fault you for trying to resuscitate it. Hopefully the stereo shop will be able to fix it.

If not, and if listening to music off of your phone is a must, it might be better to just replace the whole head unit. If the actual radio (AM/FM) still works fine with the old head unit, you can always hang onto it and keep it nearby in case you ever want to reinstall it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts