Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So sometimes when im driving.. if i step on the gas right away, or sometimes even when i barely throttle it, my car spits for like 1-2 seconds as if it didnt get spark, ooor the timing ratarded or something lol
its really weird.. but then it goes to normal. however.. it does this almost every day.

you think i should just change the plugs and see what happens?
i have the SRT intake the ecu mod with this wouldnt cause this would it?
or maybe a dirty filter? its not that dirty.. but i dont think that would cause it so spit like that. never happened to me before unless i tuned an SR wrong or one of my other older cars.

soo im thinkin its spark.. or something with timing. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Take it to a mechanic or a friend with a scope tool so he can properly diagnose the problem. You can watch exactly what each and every function in the motor is doing. And a dirty filter wouldn't do that and if you had a spark problem and it does this everyday you would have triggered a CEL by now.

BUN

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Clean your MAF, I'm willing to bet that's the problem.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah yes.. the good ol MAF.. i forget these things need cleaning for some reason. didnt think about that one. haha thanks dude.

and for the other guy. i dont take my cars to professionals. ;)
If there was ever a problem with one of my cars... i do it myself, and just buy the parts. i dont trust anyones work besides my own, or my dads. no offesne.
but thanks for the advice. im going to start with the MAF. Probably going to change the plugs anyways, and going to tune it soon when i get my cam gear.. so that should take care of that. haha

thanks guys

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well you can say you don't want to take a care to a professional all you want. But unless you want to shell out 5grand to buy a scope tool half the time you are just guessing when it comes to things like that. Hey I take no offense, i do what i got to do to eat. And you do what you got to do to feel comfortable.

BUN

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Sounds like your on the right track, clean the maf and change the plugs. If the intake was working well before, it should be fine.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive had 18 cars.. and the only time any professional has worked on my car, was a recall that they wouldnt let me do lol

in any case.. ya.. i will have to clean the MAF before i head to AZ on friday.
And the filter isnt tooo dirty.. but i think it might be time for a cleaning, or new one anyways. SRT doesnt sell individual cone filters do they?

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Being its an 01, did you have the ECU reflash from lexus?
no.. and i dont think they will do it.. i have too many miles. =/
i think i need it too, because the traction control comes on at the stupidest times lol pisses me off too. haha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts