Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i had the car alligned on Nov 3rd and all was well, but when off to Vegas the steering wheel started to go wacko. Straight for the wheel was off to the side a little bit. Well today it happend, the steering wheel broke free and now you have to turn the wheel to the lexus emblem all the way upside down to make the wheel go straight and then the passanger wheel goes all the way out so you can see all of the tread of the tire.

What could have happend?

Pics to follow soon , if i make it to the allignment shop in time to take some snaps.

David

·
Threadlocker
7,912 Posts
since it happened after an alignment, i would guess that something wasn't tightened up correctly and has since come loose. either that or, have you hit any bumps lately?

·
Premium Member
14,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1300 miles after an allignment, i lost complete control of the car today just before i was about to enter the freeway.....

ill post pics, not to mention the AAA dude got my floor mat hella dirty....

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
HoustonLex said:
Tha Reaper said:
if they damaged something because of their negligence...i'd make them pay for repairs and or sue their ass

aint america great
- why do you think so many people migrate here.... an asian way of thinking is: "sue sue sue"

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
dut said:
HoustonLex said:
Tha Reaper said:
if they damaged something because of their negligence...i'd make them pay for repairs and or sue their ass

aint america great
- why do you think so many people migrate here.... an asian way of thinking is: "sue sue sue"

"sue sue" in filipino means-TITS :lol:

btwo-hope you didn't reck your car when you lost control, and hopefully that alignment shop will cover for your incoveniences

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Damn Dave, sorry to hear that! Glad you're ok man!!!!

What could have happened is, there's a clamp on the end of the steering column down by the steering rack. After they align your front wheels, they loosen this clamp and center your steering wheel, then tighten it when it's centered. they're SUPPOSED to road test it and make sure the wheel is straight after the alignment, if not they need to re-loosen the clamp and try centering it again till it's straight. They should have torqued that bolt down on that clamp, sounds like they didn't. The crappy roads in SJ probably worked it all the way loose till it was loose enough to just slip on the steering rack shaft.

I doubt anything is broken, and it's probably just that loose clamp. Can't think of what else it could possibly be.

Glad you're alright man!

Kane

·
Premium Member
14,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well here is the complete story

first off , thanks for the pm's and replys about my safety.

Here is what happend

little by little my steering wheel has been going wacko

today i woke up at 7 and decided i would start the day early and go get the allignment checked.

I pull out of my street and the car is driving funny, I should have followed my gut and went back home. I thought well this is the first time I have driven my car in the rain since the toyo's went on, maybe the funny way its driving is because of the rain from last night. I keep going, I take some side streets so i could heat up the tires, well the wheel kept jerking so i decided not to heat them up. I get to a light on a busy street, its a main street and the speeds get above 40 on it, so my turn and i go and hit a bump at about 45 mph and all of the sudden the driver front of the car dips and the car goes off track to the left two lanes of on coming traffic. I took ahold of the wheel with my right hand which is always on the shift knob and try to steer the car, i was getting nothing, i turn the steering wheel to the emblem facing 3 oclock that now makes the driver side wheel straight but faces the passanger wheel out, so the car heads back into my lane. I put the hazards on and apply the brake. The steering wheel goes nuts and starts turning all around so i stop. I get out of the car and turn the wheel as much as i could to get the wheels both looking straight. At this point i have a ton of cars going around me, I push my car into a parking lot and get out. I take a look at the driver rim and it was sunk into the wheel well, so i thought it was because the car was on a slope, so i go look at the passanger side wheel and its perfect, the steering wheel is at 3 o'clock but the driver rim is Fucked up. So i call AAA and they come, the dude and i had to Lift the front end up and push the rim to sit straight up. We get the car to wheel works where they drop it off, I show up a few minutes later and explain the situation. They advise me to go home and cool off, they will get to car in a few hours, where they can go over the car with me there. So i go home, 4 hours goes by and no call, so i head down there, what do i see? I see my car on a rack, I was now pissed off very badly because I was thinking they could adjust something and say its my fault.

SO i say WTF, this new Manager dude who i have never seen before comes out and says, Mr Beck, we are so sorry and it's our fault 100% it seems a tech last time did not tighten two camber bolts into the tie rod. So i ask how are we getting this fixed? He explained he was going to fire the tech and refund me for my first allignment that i got in November. They also explained to me that if this would have happend on the freeway that I most likely would have crashed pretty bad and or flipped the car trying to correct the actions. I had already thought that, but didn't say that to them. All in all im ok with the outcome of todays events, but the car is pulling alittle to the right now, BUT the car is VERY TIGHT NOW, NEVER FELT SO GOOD DRIVING THIS CAR, IT WAS FUN AGAIN and i miss that.

Now to address another issue.

SUE SUE SUE?

I am very sad to say that those comments blow, I as a small business owner would hate to be sued for a honest mistake, If i or my car was hurt then a lawsuit might be called for, but for the first time in my life I sat back and just let people do their work. This whole thing has left me with alot of questions, first being are people that dumb to not re-check their work? Second being, did i get away lucky today? I know this doesn't seem too much of an issue, but It scared the shit out of me, a 3000 lb car that I am use to being in control of, now had control of me.

Here is some of the specs

Toe -20 when it got to the shop
now 0.05 this is on the driver side

passanger side

Toe -16
now 0.06

Total toe -36o

Any comments?

David

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
HoustonLex said:
Tha Reaper said:

aint america great
he could have gotten into an accident.
then would it be different?
what if he got into severe injuries?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
you didn't sue....alot of money in that
shows your a honest person...IMO
good job on getting the car fixed

not out to get everyone else...i think that's what really makes america great.

(trying to wipe away tears... :cry: )

i skid into a curb once....my car was similar to yours after that...replaced everything and re-alligned...and when iturn the wheel all the way...it doesn't come back like it used to (broken rack and pinion???)

·
Premium Member
14,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am calling lexus today to see if they can inspect my car to see if anything is broken, if so then wheel works will have to cover it.

·
Threadlocker
7,912 Posts
with the wheels jumping to those specs like that you are very lucky something didn't happen on your road trip to vegas.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It's funny, but no one seems to tighten my camber bolts enough either. The torque spec is really hight, something like 134b/ft. I always wait a week and tighten it myself after getting alignments. One guy reported this same thing as you in the race related forum a while back. I actually specify to my shop to tighten all bolts to spec now.
Glad it all worked out for you in the end.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Close call

Just a couple of comments here.

1) I'm really glad to hear that David's alright. That definitely could have been a bad situation.

2) I'm also glad to hear that you didn't become sue happy on this. You're right....it was an honest mistake that the company took care of for you. I'm sure the company would have covered you if you had gotten hurt. The only reason you would need to sue them is if they refused to take responsibility for their actions.

3) Kanine21, I hope that no one straightens your steering wheel like this! That clamp is supposed to stay in one positon and one position only. To straighten out your steering wheel to the tires, you adjust the toe on both ends. That is the ONLY way to correctly straighten a steering wheel. It's called "side-slip".
Everyone, please make sure that no one is changing the location of that clamp, or your steering wheel to the mainshaft. It changes the centering of the rack, which changes your on-center feel and steering feel. It also changes the orientation of the u-joints, which effect effort build-up. I know it sounds crazy, but it is true.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that David is okay. Hopefully this won't happen to someone else.

·
Registered
42 Posts
just bring up the safety issue that you had to go through because of them.

if in doubt just bring up the "safety issue" in any claims you make, that's what i've learned so far living in this society.

·
Premium Member
14,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
fuct said:
-20 toe....yikes!!!!!!!!
NO JOKE

I get behind the wheel now, and i trip out!

car is going to lexus again!

David

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.