Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Darin from West End Alignment knows his stuff..

Darin and I decided that i should sit in the car for the corner balance and for the alignment.

That being said..the TOTAL WEIGHT with ME in the car: 3394

i am 157lbs. and I also had 3/4 tank of gas in the car.
(how many lbs is 3/4 tank of gas??)

i would say at least 50lbs is from the gas and minus 157lbs i would have a car that weighs about 3100. I am actually happy because there are a lot of things i can take out because my ideal goal is to have 3100 or less with me in the car + 1/2 gas.

i feel that 200lbs or more weight reduction can be done to my car and i will soon be doing it..

now back to corner balancing:

FL FR
992 954

RL RR
743 705

he balanced it out to 1697 front for both ends and 508 for the rear ends.

he did the calculation by adding the weights diagonally.

FL RR
example: 992 + 705 = 1697

the percentage for my car was

57.4% Front

middle left: 51.1%
middle right: 48.9%

42.6% Rear

he said i can easily get to a 50/50 weight distribution by moving my battery to the rear right and also replacing it to a lightweight one while changing my driver seat to a very lightweight racing seat.

there was also a few other things he mention i can do but those 2 were the big ones.

the alignment was done also and i don't feel like posting it because theres no need for it.

i also found out that my car has suspension damage from an accident that the insurance covered about 2 years back..

i have the front caster off by 1.0 degree (minor since my car doesnt move to the left)

but the major part was right rear suspension damage (toe adjuster at max toe-out with excessive toe-in)

with that being said..my whole car is totally different when i got everything done. I was taking switchbacks so fast that i thought i was going to crash into the guardrail.. It was weird though because the car became a part of me. I knew exactly how my car was going to react.

i will be going back for sure and i recommend this to everyone.
(i know the alignment helped me also but the corner balancing helped me the most.)

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
also about the ride height from edgy's thread.

my car is very noticeable that the left side is higher than the right side.

the car also looks very aggressive in terms that it looks staggered from the back but i am only running 225 all around.

also if you want to talk about finger gaps..on every side of the car, i had different finger gaps but it wasnt more than 1 finger different.

hopes this help..

one more note:

front alignment: $45

rear alignment $45

corner balancing: $115

total price: $205

·
Registered
522 Posts
great followup. darin's the real deal. my friend who was a hardcore autoxer referred me to him 4 years back. have not regretted it since. can't imagine why more people in socal don't go to him.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
went for a canyon cruise today..night and day difference.

i am in love with my car again.. =]

·
大古古
1,287 Posts
sounds great im planing to do this myself when i have time i need alignment as well. how long did this take for you?

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I've been planning on doing this after I get my front right Tein revalved and some more bracing. Can you give me his contact info?

B.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
I'd suggest just a lightweight battery in the stock location. The 4gauge wire is about 5 pounds in itself to run to the back + terminals and stuff...that's unless you already have a 4 gauge wire run for a system in back.

I'm running a small 680 stinger battery which is only 15lbs. Saved a good 30 lbs from the stock battery. That will bring your F/R balance up a whole 1%.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TeCKis300 said:
I'd suggest just a lightweight battery in the stock location. The 4gauge wire is about 5 pounds in itself to run to the back + terminals and stuff...that's unless you already have a 4 gauge wire run for a system in back.

I'm running a small 680 stinger battery which is only 15lbs. Saved a good 30 lbs from the stock battery. That will bring your F/R balance up a whole 1%.
thanks a lot for the info.

the corner balance took about 2 hours.

his contact info:

darin nishimura
westend alignment
18008 s. vermont ave
gardena, ca 90248
310/808-9233
(located off the 91 fwy and vermont ave)

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
TeCKis300 said:

You really think it matters though? Did u notice a difference? prob not, haha :)

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Hirun said:
thanks a lot for the info.

the corner balance took about 2 hours.

his contact info:

darin nishimura
westend alignment
18008 s. vermont ave
gardena, ca 90248
310/808-9233
(located off the 91 fwy and vermont ave)

Ah man this is the guy my friend has his integ done with, he said you have to reserve your spot pretty early. Now I just need to get my dang shock re-valved already.

B

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
wtf! im reading everyone's corner balancing specs and focusing on their weight distributions.. your 57/43 is wack... wack!!!!!!! ;-P thats why i dont want to lighten the rear unless i can light the front even more. simpdaddy, when he got his IS corner balanced, they actually added more weight bias to the rear to become damn close to 51/49! then again id want 51/49 if only i can get the overall weight down to under 3200 lbs, thatd be sick. btw, has the s/c blown up on you yet? N/A is best! ;P

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
black86 said:
wtf! im reading everyone's corner balancing specs and focusing on their weight distributions.. your 57/43 is wack... wack!!!!!!! ;-P thats why i dont want to lighten the rear unless i can light the front even more. simpdaddy, when he got his IS corner balanced, they actually added more weight bias to the rear to become damn close to 51/49! then again id want 51/49 if only i can get the overall weight down to under 3200 lbs, thatd be sick. btw, has the s/c blown up on you yet? N/A is best! ;P

the next step is to have a 50/50 when i hit 3200 with me in the car or less.

he said it can easily be done in my car but i just need to do some minor mods =]

i <3 you. ;P

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Well I got my shock done and back in, and got corner weighed yesterday (Thursday, he also had about a two week wait, and this is his "slow season")

Pretty much what Hirun said. Differences done is that I'd bet Hirun went will the full agressive alignment, and I went with the second most agressive settings, and I also had Darin raise my car to nearly stock ride hight, I'm hoping that puts my suspension geometry back into shape enough to give the max potencial possible. I got this damn onyx over here that can whoop my ass in the twisties (some front tie rods and new tires and we'll need to do another run).

Plus its a nice mod to do, in fact I think a must if your going to spend the money on coils and are thouroughly interesting in tuning your car's handling to its best. Its nice to know that your tires are being used to their best ability, and not having an extreme weak link somewhere making your tire contact weaker than all the others, and thats whats holding you back that few mph on the corner.

I'll post my weight and balance specs later (nothing special, no carbon fiber stuff or aftermarket batteries or reloctated stuff.)

I wish I had bought a Gtech a long time ago, and could post "Dasproven" measurements of increased or decreased performance with susp. mods, instead of what my shitty butt dino thinks lol.

Btw, Darin is a cool cat, has some high clientel up in there, but he's down to earth. Hes good peoples.

B.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts