Lexus IS Forum banner

My build thread GGP 03 IS300

26K views 81 replies 24 participants last post by  hankpitz 
#1 ·
Hey guys so ive been waiting awhile to make a build thread and i think its about time. Last year i picked up an 03 GGP sport design from CT with 55k miles(manual of course). This was to be my first car i had saved up from lifeguarding and teaching kids how to swim for my mods and the car (nothing bought by my parents) Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Luxury vehicle
the car looked like this at the time. It originally came with some adr wheels but i sold those. My first mod was my set of Fortune Auto 500 coilovers with swift springs. Was a relatively easy install and they feel great! Fast forward a couple months i ordered my set of volk racing TE37 last October the spec is 17 x 9.5 +41. Concave! You wont see another IS with this spec as there was only ten made bc it was special order. Well come back to that in a lil. So next i picked up a set of altezza window visors and there started with my relationship with Chris Wong from db8 motorsports. He delivers fast and is 100% what you order he's the best! Fast forward to this summer, i received my wheels
and got them mounted on yokohama s drives 245 x 17 all around. Around this time i started getting real obsessed with the jdm front bumper and lip so i shot chris a text and he hooked me up! Trd side skirts, jdm front bumper, lip, and jdm crash bar.
sent them to paint at my shop who does the BEST jobs. Centerline auto collision in massapequa for those long islanders reading this. In the mean time i went to install the wheels and came across some problems.
the wheel in the front rubbed against the upper control arm :0. So to get around this i ran a 2mm spacer and it still rubbed but by a mm maybe 2 so me and my buddies ground down the arm (a safe amount) and BAM it worked!
next i got a call from the shop saying my parts were ready so i went to pick that up.
was a very sketchy drive haha. Next came fitting it and puttig the volk racing stickers on the wheels
and now were at present day
Next is evo 8 Brembo BBK all around! Getting the chassis prepped for power. I have an aristo 2jzgte waiting for me and im looking to pick up a borg warner s366 in the future. I will keep updating this thread! Thanks guys for reading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#5 ·
Yeah, there are only 16 on autotrader across the entire US that are manual. Six of those are silver, and of the rest, I bet most are non LSD. I'm patient though. Hopefully something will pop up that meets the bill within 400 miles in the next few months. Might have to settle for silver, or non LSD.

#7 ·
Havent updated this in a while so heres whats going on:

I just bought the FIGS engineering RB 330mm BBK and the SRP 3" catback exhaust

Heres a pic of the BBK when it came in

And one taken out of the box

And one next to the wheel... These things are GIANT to think that they fit in the stock wheels! Holy sleeper! Car pretty much looks the same

Im also working on my interior now, my brother gave me his old set of recaro pole positions in red, and im going to reupholster them in black leather with suede inserts like this

After this im going to get sway bars and then just some more interior stuff until im ready to swap for the VVTI 2jzgte single turbo

#18 ·
Update time! So i took about nine hours yesterday to give the car the full detail. Washed it, clayed it, washed it, did a compound cut, polish, then glaze wit a DA orbital. Buffed out the rear lights and they're as shiny as new!
Now I'm working on wrapping the dashboard. I went with black brushed metallic for that clean almost OEM look. Im getting ready for autocon so time is short. Almost forgot!
I got the speedhunters X renown steering wheel 69/100. Now im putting in my red recaro, pole position SPG. Im waiting for seat rails and mounts now. Next comes a shift knob. After that im gonna look for a bump steer kit, and finally gonna find a vvti 2jzgte.

#20 ·
UPDATE: it is so worth it to get wheels powdercoated!
over the past couple weeks i ripped my dash out and repainted it
got a trd spoiler and painted it
got a new shift knob and put in my recaro pole position (the other will ovin when i can afford more rails)
and killed it at autocon!
STAY TUNED A LOT MORE TO COME!

#23 ·
Good work man; wheels, paint, dash, everything. DECENT

#26 ·
Honestly it wasn't too much of a struggle. It took about two hours and it was pretty straight forward. Start from the glove box them move to the middle then the steering wheel. It was really easy because i have an aftermarket steering wheel and i just took it off. If you have the stock wheel n don't feel like taking it off ull have to wiggle around it. The biggest thing is don't forget to drop the steering column and have a second person help u put it back in. Also if you've got everything out be careful when lulling the dash it should come out with mid range force if ur pulling real hard and its not budging you may have forgot a screw. Lastly the airbag curtains have a slidey thingy so u have to slide it down to get them out of place, its like a circle screw goes into a hole snd u slide up to make it stay in place, its hard to explain.

#34 ·
Update timeee, so i got my TRD spoiler paint and all mounted up
it carries the body line of the car so perfectly! Next im waiting to find a deal on an aristo 2jzgte so i can start working on that. My plan is to replace anything that can go wrong with the 2j with brand new parts ie head gasket, injectors, spark plugs, fuel pump, water pump etc.. i also want to convert it to obd2 so im gonna work on that as well as single turbo. Overall plan is to take time and piece tg the motor and before the 90k service in my car pull my motor and put in the new one. In the mean time ill see sway bars and some other goodies soon. Just natural progression from here out!

#35 ·
Also on an earlier update i wrote that its worth it to get wheels powdercoated... i meant to write ceramic coated so i dont sound like an idiot here. Also forgot to write up on my exhaust a while back but ShoemakerRaceProducts hooked me up with a 3" catback straight pipe that sounds and looks absolutley phenominal
https://youtu.be/_UYFlZWe79U heres a link to a video review i did a while back. Also i forgot to mention im on the hunt for a specific diffuser... trying to source one soon[emoji48]

#39 ·

Couple pics from WEKFEST NJ with my new custom diffuser that Ian Galvez made. Wekfest was an amazing event and I was honored to be apart of it. With the coming of the diffuser it's time to part ways wit the spoiler. I like the cleaner look without it. Next season im looking to get rails for my other recaro, vertex front bumper, and a seibon carbon trunk for the rear.
I just like the look without it better!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.