Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 335i Alpine White coupe with 15k miles. Auto with shifter.

Sport package, Cold weather package, 18 inch wheels with keyless entry. No premium package, no nav but he got tan leather seat. I know that he got into an accident during his ownership but it's repaired and is asking below bluebook price factoring that accident into the consideration. Still under the warranty and service plan.

His asking price is even below fair condition trade-in value for this vehicle which is $33,000. It is really tempting. What y'all think?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
wow such a beauty..but dang trying to resell a salvaged bmw in the future is going to be really really hard...bascially your cash IMO is your call..those brand new are like 56k?? not to sure and maintanining those things will rape you

but sexy!

haha just my 2 cents..btw if u have 33K..is300!!! ftw

=-)

·
Registered
144 Posts
the damage doesn't look too bad, but onyx5spdsportx is right when it comes time for you to sell later it might be hard. why dont you ask your friend to see what he will actually get from a trade in at a dealership and go from there, the price may be lower.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Just because it has a Salvage title doesn't mean it will be difficult to sell. There is a market for everybody, all those people who can't afford cars NEW head to auctions to buy their rides. Salvage cars are as easy to sell as Clean Title cars, the audience of buyers are those wanting to pay less that's all.

I've seen tons of M3's, M5's, 330's, Evo's, STi's, etc. All with Rebuilt/Salvage titles go like hot cakes because of price reduction.

The damange looks to have been pure cosmetic, looks like it might actually still be a clean title depending on if the airbags deployed. Looks to me like they are intact.

Try to get him down to $30K

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
wow such a beauty..but dang trying to resell a salvaged bmw in the future is going to be really really hard...bascially your cash IMO is your call..those brand new are like 56k?? not to sure and maintanining those things will rape you

but sexy!

haha just my 2 cents..btw if u have 33K..is300!!! ftw

=-)
Yeah, it looks very good in person except the driverside fender doesn't align 100% as you can tell from pic. Brand new with similar option is just right about $46k-ish.
BTW, I already had IS for 6 years now. Thanks for your tip.

the damage doesn't look too bad, but onyx5spdsportx is right when it comes time for you to sell later it might be hard. why dont you ask your friend to see what he will actually get from a trade in at a dealership and go from there, the price may be lower.
i wouldn't touch it - salvaged cars are typically money pits
is it salvaged?
Yeah, I hear you guys' concerns and I left him a messege about the title because I thought it must of been clean title until so many of you actually brought this into my attention.

did the damage affect the frame?
The damange looks to have been pure cosmetic, looks like it might actually still be a clean title depending on if the airbags deployed. Looks to me like they are intact.

Try to get him down to $30K
Last time I talked to him, I was told that the warranty and service plan is still active via BMW dealer until 50k miles and there was no frame damage and airbag wasn't deployed. So yea, I think damage must have been cosmetical.

I didn't really ask him about if it is salvage title or not as I was under the impression that salvage title'd car usually doesn't have warranty and so does the service plan. So I thought it must be clean title but with so many of you guys concern about title, I guess I have to ask him and make sure.

So is $33k-ish great price if it has clean title? how much should it be for salvage title car for this spec?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would clear up the issue if it is or is not a clean title. If it's clean, then that's not a bad price at all. They have excellent resale value as well. I have had my IS for 6yrs now. I also have a delivery time of the first week in May for my AW 335i Coupe. ;)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. It seems that it actually is salvage title, yet it carrys warranty and service plan. Now he's willing to go down more on the price to make it work but I most likely not get this one due to poor resale value. Do you think it will worth at least 15k in next 4 years or so?

·
Registered
15,872 Posts
I would think in 4 years you could still get $15K out of it, but I dont know about the depreciation of the BMWs...If hes bring it down to half of retail I think Id jump on it (even with the tan interior :lol:)

·
Registered
15,872 Posts
I would also say keep any and all wreck pics so when you try and sell it you can say "this was the damage, no frame damange, just cosmetic" and so on...i might help some

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
28K an Ill buy the car from him.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I can't believe the title got salvaged based on those pics. At first I was gonna say that you get rid of all these pics if the title was clean so that you can say that there was just some fender damage.

Conversely, now that we know that the title was salvaged, you do need to keep these pics to show that the damage was isolated to the fender area.

Price aside, I wouldn't buy a salvaged car because that's guaranteed hassle when you try to get rid of it in the future. Peace of mind and the burn of knowing the car is salvaged when you get in the car every morning is not worth it.

·
Registered
696 Posts
15K in 4 years? There are E46 M3's still going for the high Teen's with Salvage titles. You guys are blowing it out of proportion.

Buy the car if you like it, just because it's salvage doesn't mean it depreciates 400x faster then a clean title car. It will depreciate at the same rate relative to what you paid for it or what it's worth. The car literally looks like it had a fender, hood, headlight and bumper replaced - Pitching that to someone in the future when you wanna sell it is NOT that difficult.

Either way before you buy it, look over it extensively, if it were a 10K Salvage car which you found issues with later wouldn't be an issue because it's only 10K. We are talking about 30K here, so be careful.

As an example look on craigslist, there are Salvage/Past Accident IS300's going for around 3-4K less then their KBB and they get swallowed up quick.

·
Registered
213 Posts
i'd buy it for ~ 28k.

·
Registered
346 Posts
As good as the BMW 335i looks, beware of it's gremlins. My friend, whom is 22years old, claims to have paid for his 335i, fully loaded without navigation, for 60,000$ ($10,000 down and $800/month) and I was with him when we went to go pick up his veichle from the shop. My goodness, the repairs were 2 pages long....

Clanking noise in engine when on high gear, passenger side door made knocking noises when going 20mph+, left front wheel made a wierd whistling sound when reving the engine, left halo eye out (Aren't these HID's/LED's? aren't these suppose to last for a long time?), shifting made grinding noises. I believe there was more, but he has only owned it for 1 year (2007 BMW 335i, bought it brand new), with 31,xxx miles on it so far. It estimated to about $2,000 worth of repairs for free, since still under warranty. But after that day, that's for sure that i will not own a BMW, and there are MANY MORE real life stories I have about them. Most of the problems i see nowadays are from the new generation 3 series and old generation 5 series' (e36 and e46).

Troung if someday you come here and read this, sorry to dissapoint you but I had to tell my fellow is members about BM TROUBLE U, because it did trouble you a lot! Enjoy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts