Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purpose of this story
1. to help others with decision making when it comes to choosing the right products
2. this is NOT the product's fault, and I'm not blaming anything except myself.

- supercharger to turbocharger
bought a stage 2 supercharger from TE, and ended up changing to TE stage 2 turbo in 2 months. Spend double on the installation. Lost some money ont he SC kit, but got a good deal on the turbo.

- Tranny
tried to save some shipping, so I didn't get a sprag upgrade from TE or PFS. I got a local shop to do all the upgrades, and 3 months later, my tranny brew. I ended up buying a used tranny from [email protected] and got him to do the upgrade and paid for shipping.

- EMS
used Emanage with TE box for a year with my turbo setup without any problems, or I should say perfect. Dynoed at 350whp 328wtg at 11psi. I switched over to Haltech e6x and the nightmare began.

1. Blew my stock block on the dyno because we didn't have the right trigger wheel. Bought a TT shortblock and head gasket from Toyota.
2. Spend a lot on haltech installation because the tuner never had experience with IS
3. The car was running bad even after the right trigger wheel was put in. The car also couldn't be tuned. All due to either wrong installtion or wrong setup on haltech.
4. At the end, I had to spend more $ buying the emanage with TE box plus installtion. Not to mention loosing money selling the haltech.

Again, I'm not blaming anyone or any product. This story is here to help out other people when it comes to buying decision.
1. Make sure you know the product you're buying is really what you want
2. The product you want to buy might be good, but do you know how to use it?, or can anyone within reach get it to work? Can you get it fixed it there's a problem?

I've been losing so much time and $$$ and don't want to see others go through the same.
Anyway, I have to thank [email protected] He's helped me with everything even the haltech which I didn't buy from him.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
good post. + rep.

also, what is a trigger wheel?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Dude that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Good post tho.

·
Registered
238 Posts
thanks man, i think im gonna do more research be4 i buy something

·
Registered
635 Posts
TDLI said:
good post. + rep.

also, what is a trigger wheel?

A toothed or notched wheel that bolts to the crank so a sensor can read it. This tells the ECU exactly where the pistons are. some tuners use a signal conditioner that works off the factory crank sensor.

BG-LEX.. . sorry to hear about all the troubles man. I've also decided that I will never buy another used part. I've wasted a lot of money and time trying to save a buck.

·
Registered
352 Posts
That is very true BG_LEX.
I'm curently Running E-manage. I am very comfortable using it.
I use to have the black box from SRT,Then it was in this Forums
help me to figure out and gave me the confidence to install the
Emanage.
The car is running great.
Now I'm doing a lot of search(research) in this forums regarding standalone.
Almost everybody is running standalone and Actually saying that it
is the way to go.

If I do figure standalone out and the pro and cons of it, then I might
switch.
Also I am looking at the E-manage ultimate.

The main thing is all EMS will do what it is suppose to do.
whatever the EMS you pick, It is the capability of what
your set-up requires.
Also you or your tuner should know how to set it up.

BG_LEX, I give you props for taking the effort and what you been
through. This is a very good example on how, us fellow net guys
can get valuable info.

I think/hope this is what this forums is all about,
sharing information and experiences.

Maybe some guys don't want to share thats fine, but personally
if I can help i would. It doesn't make me any richer.
Peace.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hey BG :) How is the car running now ? Were you able to get some more psi with the emanage and injectors not being maxed out than the haltec ? Have you had any dynotime after emanage yet ?

They are putting the engine into my car today, hope I will have it runing by friday.

Mike

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
BG-Lex > people like you are what makes these boards worthwhile. + rep:)

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
i feel your pain bro... been through it and still going through it... its a constant nightmare... to top it off, my wheels just got jacked at the shop and they dropped my car on the ground.... could it get worse? probably... likely with my luck.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
be_is300 said:
Hey BG :) How is the car running now ? Were you able to get some more psi with the emanage and injectors not being maxed out than the haltec ? Have you had any dynotime after emanage yet ?

They are putting the engine into my car today, hope I will have it runing by friday.

Mike
The car is good. There's no more rough idle, but Jeff forgot to send me the boost sensor harness. So I'm just waiting for the harness and will boost it up hopefully by Fri. How about your new turbo?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all of you for kind words. I guess we're all looking for "the perfect setup". I hope this post helps you in some way.

Lexotic concepts. Sorry to hear about your wheels. How's the car now? any damage? Hope it's not too bad.

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
very sorry you've had all the issues man, as well as anyone else who has. It seems to be almost a right of passage unfortunately. I know I've had my share of problems along the way and I'll likely have more. Many of mine came from trying to be one of the first to do a couple things. I'm through with that(after this current trip). ahahahaaaa...

sorry about your problems too dan. This whole car thing seems to be about who can put up w/ the most shit i think.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
IS_Dude said:
very sorry you've had all the issues man, as well as anyone else who has. It seems to be almost a right of passage unfortunately. I know I've had my share of problems along the way and I'll likely have more. Many of mine came from trying to be one of the first to do a couple things. I'm through with that(after this current trip). ahahahaaaa...

sorry about your problems too dan. This whole car thing seems to be about who can put up w/ the most shit i think.
nothing ever goes as planned with ANYTHING when it comes to cars... I cant say how many times my various sound setups have done something to let me down...

And now that I will be overhaulin the motor very very soon, i cant imagine it being any different..

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
IS_DUDE,
you hit it on the head.. '..who can put up w/ the most shit..'
when I get a break here at work I'll post my trials and tribulation as well. There are some things I'd change definitely if I could go back, but I'd still end up F/I. Because when its running great, man it feels so worth it.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
when it runs great. then it comes to how long it can stay like that.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Seems like a common story.
That's why i tell a lot of people not to boost their cars.
but no one understands until it happens to them.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Most of the crap you deal with is trying to beat the dam ECU... if I would do it again... I would completely gut the car and put it a gte engine and trans. with a standalone. Id get rid of everything that has a "mind of is own". A digital after market dash also.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts