Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well the time has come to go faster. So along awaited time is coming near. LO21 has made the thread of swapping his car. I have read that thread over and over. My BIBLE for the last few weeks.

So I have bought all new parts so I don't have to worry about a used parts failing on me. But there are some other upgrades that I have to have inorder to support the power I'm going for. I'm at 500ish right now. But I need more. So I'm going back to PFS at the end of March for a retune. Shooting for 700hp. :cool:

So the parts I have bought are as followed:

IS300 break and clutch pedal assembly
Master cylinder
1jz fylwheel
1jz bellhousing for R154
1jz ARP flywheels bolts
R154 slave cylinder
clutch hose line
R154 clutch fork
driveshaft shop driveshaft(is300 with the R154)
New Tial 44mm WG
BC 264 cams
Marlin Crawler R154 HD race rebuild kit.....$710 in parts=ouch!
New aem wideband sensor
Another 255 walbro pump
92' Sc300 shifter

Now those are all the parts I HAVE already got. Some are still in the mail. The clutch has been decided on a RPS stage 3. I have yet to buy that, but will do this week. I'll take pics later as well.

I was told that I will need a 7m throwout bearing. This true? Am I missing anything to complete this swap?

·
Registered
920 Posts
You need the 7m throwout bearing assembly as well as the bearing Welcome to Driftmotion!

Bellhousing to trans bolts? pressure plate to flywheel bolts? slave cyl. to trans bolts? w55/w58 transmission mount, mk4, IS or sc300, plus spacers, or hammer the tunnel?

Sounds like you have almost everything. Good luck with the swap, and if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Won't my current bellhousing bolts that are on my auto work? I have the auto tranny mount as well as the MK3 mount that is on the R154 tranny as well. The r154 is smaller than the auto, why hammer the tunnel out?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is all included in your Marlin Crawler HD rebuild kit?
Just curious because I just ordered the Heavy Duty Individual parts.(Comp. Bearing plate, Billet shift fork, both shifter bushings).
Yup sounds about right, but I got their tranny rebuild kit as well. Seals and what not.

·
Registered
920 Posts
What you found on supraforums might be everything, I would have to see more pics of it.

You need a mk4 n/a 5speed mount, or is300 5spd mount (just the rubber part). The is300 auto will not work, neither will the mk3 r154 mount. The auto bellhousing bolts might work, if not it is just a simple trip to the hardware store. The r154 sits higher up, so either space the mount down 1/2" or so, or bang out the tunnel at the top a little.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Also FYI, that is a toyota reject cast bellhousing lol. All of the ones with the purple paint on top are those reject bellhousings. I do not know all of the details about what is out of spec. I have one of the ones with the paint on it too, and it works fine.

·
Blue Devil
3,658 Posts
LO 21 has made the thread of swapping his car. I have read that thread over and over. My BIBLE for the last few weeks.
well i'm quite honored haha
cant wait to see pictures and videos of the swap!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Also FYI, that is a toyota reject cast bellhousing lol. All of the ones with the purple paint on top are those reject bellhousings. I do not know all of the details about what is out of spec. I have one of the ones with the paint on it too, and it works fine.
That's interesting, mine had the purple too, worked fine though.

·
Premium Member
7,958 Posts
Everyone that I have seen being used for a r154 swap have the painted 1jz bellhousing. Mine were painted also, I always wanted to know why myself.

Dave, I would have just sent or bought a tranny from Marlin Crawler that has already been rebuilt. You might have only had to spend a little more on the top of the cost you have already spent on parts and tranny.

You will need to pick out a clutch and the mounts.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I only got 710 in parts for the tranny and I paid 50 bucks for a working R154. So 760 in the whole deal. The race build is 2K.

I have already found a 5 speed na mk4 mount and the clutch is being ordered monday.

I just bought the throwout bearing off the supra forums.

·
Registered
309 Posts
i am curious to know what kind of clutch set up you went with, i am planning to order my parts in next month or so but cant decide what clutch i want

·
Premium Member
7,958 Posts
I just looked at the link you showed for Supraforums on the throwout bearings. I don't believe thats a R154 throwout bearing, I believe that was from the NA 7M. I recall having large clips and no spring retainers as shown. You might want to verify.

Here's what the hub kit looks like

Here's what the TO bearing looks like.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dave did you buy the hub kit and throwout bearing from this thread?

Supraforums.com

If you did that's not the right throwout bearing, thats for a 7MGE motor not the r154 equipped 7MGTE
LOL yup. Blew 28 dollars on that deal huh? Can you find me what I need. REP to ya!

1 - 20 of 156 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.