Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...well I decided to go hunting for the Oct issue of Sport Compact Car. It just so happens that both Barnes & Noble and Books-A-Million are in the same area as my local Acura dealership. So I decide what the hell I'll swing by there and what are hubbub is about the CL Type-S. Well I get there and there is raining heavily, didn't matter to me though I get and look at a white Type-S. A few minutes a later a salesman invites me in and shows me two Type-S CLs (one white the other pimp gold). I tell him that I'm buying an IS3 in about a month, he says it's a "nice little car" but it's not in the same class as the CL (which I agree with), but he could tell that I was looking for 4-doors. Anyways I look at the Type-S, he pops the hood and opens the door, it's ok inside. I love peforated leather, the engine is very clean and tight, he then ask me if the IS3 had a "sport shift." Then he remembers that it did, I then ask him how quick the car is (I already know the answer), he says that it'll do 0-60 in the low 5s. I asked him thrice if he was sure and he said it could achieve such stellar numbers b/c of its "sport shift." I then ask him how quick the TL is and he says low 6s. I'm like "right," he then directs my attention to a Comptech/Jackson supercharged Integra GS-R. He claimed it had 240hp, anyway the good news was that they actually support the Acura aftermarket there and sell and maintain Comptech and JR parts there, I wish my Lexus dealer sold Rod Millen and TRD parts. T o make a long story short after I finished holding in my laughter to be polite I asked for a CL brochure. In the end I had a good laugh courtesy of Acura dealers, but I only found 1 worn copy of SCC. I think highlight of my rainy night was running into a friend I hadn't seen a while.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
hahahaha =) a supercharged gsr runs about 200hp to the wheels.....i don't know how efficient it is from teh crank to the wheels but i think 200 at the wheels is more than generous. the thing with supercharged gsr's is that they DO run low 5s and are relatively cheap, their weight advantage is amazing =)

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by Syndicate:
...well I decided to go hunting for the Oct issue of Sport Compact Car. It just so happens that both Barnes & Noble and Books-A-Million are in the same area as my local Acura dealership. So I decide what the hell I'll swing by there and what are hubbub is about the CL Type-S. Well I get there and there is raining heavily, didn't matter to me though I get and look at a white Type-S. A few minutes a later a salesman invites me in and shows me two Type-S CLs (one white the other pimp gold). I tell him that I'm buying an IS3 in about a month, he says it's a "nice little car" but it's not in the same class as the CL (which I agree with), but he could tell that I was looking for 4-doors. Anyways I look at the Type-S, he pops the hood and opens the door, it's ok inside. I love peforated leather, the engine is very clean and tight, he then ask me if the IS3 had a "sport shift." Then he remembers that it did, I then ask him how quick the car is (I already know the answer), he says that it'll do 0-60 in the low 5s. I asked him thrice if he was sure and he said it could achieve such stellar numbers b/c of its "sport shift." I then ask him how quick the TL is and he says low 6s. I'm like "right," he then directs my attention to a Comptech/Jackson supercharged Integra GS-R. He claimed it had 240hp, anyway the good news was that they actually support the Acura aftermarket there and sell and maintain Comptech and JR parts there, I wish my Lexus dealer sold Rod Millen and TRD parts. T o make a long story short after I finished holding in my laughter to be polite I asked for a CL brochure. In the end I had a good laugh courtesy of Acura dealers, but I only found 1 worn copy of SCC. I think highlight of my rainy night was running into a friend I hadn't seen a while.
i love my acura by ur salesman was a moron.

everone knows the TL runs high 5's

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
That's nothing, a Daewoo salesman told me and a friend of mine that it (Leganza?) was the most popular car in Europe. I said "I thought that was the Golf?" and he mumbled something negative. He said it was also the safest car on the road, and "It IS a Lexus LX 300, same car". That kind of stumped me so I didn't reply. Then he mentioned that you could lift the entire car by the door handle. I asked him how they tested that, like "did they get a really strong guy to do it?" And he said "the car's so safe because they made it out of steel!" I said "As opposed to what? Aren't most cars made of steel?" He said, "there's no tin in this car." So I thanked him and left. (this is all true, I didn't make it up. You can't say that about all my posts.)

·
Registered
112 Posts
LOL, TL do 0-60 in high 5's?? LOL, that sales guy must be a sales from Daewoo(which is the most BS car company I have ever seen). In stock form, and only Acura that can pull 0-60 in 5 sec range is NSX...

As for S/C GS-R getting 200hp wheel HP, that's a bit high. 190hp-195hp is more like it.....

Andy Kuo

------------------
Mercedes-Benz 400SE
Pearl Grey/Black

http://akry.homestead.com

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
like i said 200 was a generous figure =)

i thought the nsx goes 0-60 in 4.8? i could be wrong, i'm not sure....oh well

·
Registered
112 Posts
No mean to let you down, Mrclam, but the best I have seen NSX(with 3.2L)do is 5.2-5.4 sec. The first few MY NSXs(with 3.0L)pull 0-60 in high 5's.

LOL, BTW, I read an article somewhere about Daewood cars' crash result, they are BAD....the best score is marginable(I think it's full frontal impact)....LOL..And their cars are not a bargain at all compare to some Honda/Toyota models...

Andy Kuo

------------------
Mercedes-Benz 400SE
Pearl Grey/Black

http://akry.homestead.com

·
Registered
342 Posts
You havent seen any recent tests of the NSX then. The 3.2L 6 speed sprints 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. The Zanardi Edition takes 4.7 seconds. All these tests were in M/T.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Car and Driver once tested a yellow 6-speed NSX-T that did 0-60 in 4.7.

Originally posted by IIIseries:
You havent seen any recent tests of the NSX then. The 3.2L 6 speed sprints 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. The Zanardi Edition takes 4.7 seconds. All these tests were in M/T.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Just wondering, did they increase the power output of NSX w/o letting the consumer know. I don't see how they can improve the 0-60 time by just saving weight and tweaking the tranny. 0.5 second in that time range is pretty significant.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The NSX gets 290hp with the 6-speed and 252hp with the 4-speed auto. That 0.5 second improvement you're referring to came about when they switched from a 3.0 liter/5-speed setup to a 3.2 liter/6-speed powertrain. The extra gear, 20 extra horses, and more torque can easily shave half a second off the 0-60 times.

Originally posted by Daniel:
Just wondering, did they increase the power output of NSX w/o letting the consumer know. I don't see how they can improve the 0-60 time by just saving weight and tweaking the tranny. 0.5 second in that time range is pretty significant.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I know they switched to the 3.2L engine w/ 6 speed tranny, but I remember they tested the car at 5.2 0-60mph when this updated version first came out. Also, I remember when the Zanardi edition first came out and motortrend did a 0-60 test, I believe they were at low 5 seconds, not high 4's. That's why I am suspecting that they bump up the power on the NSX by slight bit and maybe update the tranny as well.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I second that fact. Motor trend did in fact test a zanardi NSX and clocked it at 4.7s, while the regular version was at 4.8s. The stupid automatic version is probably what you were talking about doing high 5's, either that or that person can't drive a stick.

Plus, high 5's seems AWFULLY slow for a 90k sports car.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i hope no one buys an nsx for speed
not new anyways....i mean come on, for tha tmoney you can have an m5 which is just as fast but can carry 4 people while you're at it... =)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts