61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I say screw it and swap in an A855 ;)
HAHA, 4G63 > A855

Did you start a build thread?

For those that didn't see my other thread. http://my.is/forums/f115/strange-clutch-tranny-issue-after-cdd-delete-554625/

The car has been stuffed into the back of the garage while I try and find time to pull the tranny and see what is actually wrong. I ended up hurting my back up car (The Colt) also so I had to get a 2nd back up vehicle. The good news is, while the IS is down I plan doing another round of upgrades. :wink:

-J

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not yet, all I've done is push it in the driveway so far. I've been doinking with the bikes, and I need to finish up the SVX before I tear this apart.

·
Registered
101 Posts
lots of custom parts in this thread. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I also just bought a turbo is300. good to see the community is still live and kicking. Great job with the custom stuff. Super jelly. Engine bay looks great!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
10 months later I finally found some motivation to get the tranny out. What an absolute PITA. I told the wife last night "There is NO way that mother effing tranny is going back in that car". Of course, having the funds to do a 6 speed will remain to be seen.

I pulled the tail shaft off to take a look. Clearly the previous owner used Redline Shockproof but what you can't see is how much synchro material is mixed in.

I had already loosened the 5th/reverse shift fork retaining bolt.

I leave tomorrow for a business trip so I didn't tear it down any further. I figure I'll dive in when I get back.

I made a quick todo list while the tranny is out.
Upgrade fuel feed line to -8 from -6
Bigger injectors
Get a new fuel pressure gauge
Swap turbos, I talked to my buddy Jamie at Performance Techniques in Berdoo about making a hybrid(PTE small shaft turbine wheel(probably the 66mm), KTS billet compressor(either 64mm or 67mm) with Garrett internals.
If the turbo thing works out then I will also upgrade the complete exhaust system to 3.5 or 4".
Adapt some radial mount 6 piston & 4 piston Wilwood calipers to Supra rotors

Reactions: blkdout

·
Cherisher
4,833 Posts
I don't blame you for hating on that trans. I heard too many horror stories about it to go down that road.

Really stinks that now is a bad time to pick a 6 speed up :( The price went up soooo much on the units themselves and even the rebuilds.

Interested to see what you do when you get back from your trip!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I don't blame you for hating on that trans. I heard too many horror stories about it to go down that road.

Really stinks that now is a bad time to pick a 6 speed up :( The price went up soooo much on the units themselves and even the rebuilds.

Interested to see what you do when you get back from your trip!
Oh yea, the V16x is not even on my radar. The company I work for has dealings with MSD (owns Quicktime), McLeod Clutches, Silver Sport Transmissions(bought out Keisler) and even Inland Empire Driveline. So it'll be a T56 Magnum if it happens.

·
Cherisher
4,833 Posts
Good choice! I don't blame you for that either :lol:

I'd love to see the T56 if it happens! :approve:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
So it's been forever since an update. I've been trying to save pennies here and there to do the T56 swap. It seems like as soon as I get some $$$ set aside something else needs the money more. Long story short, a friend of mine parts out late model cars and he's got a LS3/TR6060 with my name on it. So I've put the whole drivetrain up for sale.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/6195498141.html

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
I told myself that if I got what I was asking for the complete 2J swap I would sell it. After a long couple months of the car being in limbo the engine finally found a new home. I am truly going to miss this engine but I feel the LS will be a better engine for my intentions(Daily/25K miles a year).

I am going to pick up the 45K mile LS3/TR6060 from my buddy this week. He happens to have a GTO oil pan and pickup so he's just going to swap them cause he needs the Camaro pan. I'll likely order the IS specific harness from Dedicated but I will be making everything else myself. Well, excluding headers. I am hoping that one of the many sets we have laying around the shop will be close enough to make work.

Immediate plans for the engine will be.
oil pump
cam swap (3 bolt)
Lifters
Bushing style Trunion upgrade
Pushrods
Springs/retainers/Seals
3 bolt timing chain
mill the heads
Port the throttle body
Port the intake manifold
possibly CNC the heads (Mission Critical via HPS Machine)

Reactions: el_jefe

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Picked up the engine & tranny last night.

He also had a GTO oil pan. He wasn't sure if the windage tray was correct but he has a few extras laying around for me to try.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
No actual progress yet but I did a little test fitting last night. Driver side manifold interferes with the steering shaft(expected).

I will take a tranny crossmember from our stock at work and see how close it may be. Step one is going to be getting the engine and tranny in place. I'll be modifying the crossmember instead of the oil pan.

I've left a couple messages at Dedicated about the flying lead harness but no call back yet. I'll probably just get it ordered anyway.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Can you just invert the exhaust manifolds on that motor? Since you are going turbo anyway. . .

This one's going to be N/A. Hoping for 500+ whp so long tubes are going to be necessary.

I starting cutting the crossmember last night. It's getting there but it looks like I am going to have a busy weekend.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You know that it will end up boosted. The power of FI compels you. . .

You gonna add some bracing down there? There are a couple aftermarket options, but plenty of places to tie in if you fab one up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I've been messing around with engine placement for a few days now and i'm still not happy. I started with a stock GTO pan and began modifying the crossmember. *see pics above I modified the crossmember a little at a time trying to find the sweet spot, never happened.

I ended up cutting the pan a little at a time trying to find the sweet spot, never happened.

I called my buddy at Canton and ordered their front sump dealio. I haven't received it yet but I used their dimensions to make some place holders under the block. I'm kind of in a place right now where I firmly believe anyone who has done this swap(LS/M6) has too much engine angle. I say this because I am fairly certain I have my engine sitting lower than any pictures I've seen to date.

This is literally as low as the engine can possibly go with the Canton pan. This is with roughly 1/4" clearance between the pan and the modified crossmember.

There is roughly 1/2" of space between the top of the shifter housing and the tunnel. I could MAYBE gain 1/4" here since I am going to run very small/stiff engine mounts.

The lowest point of the transmission is hanging roughly 1/2" below the bottom of the subframe.

The engine is set back pretty far. Reference to the sway bar vs. the idler puller

Any farther forward and the alternator & A/C Compressor will contact the sway bar. Any farther up to clear the bar and the engine angle will be fubar.

I took a 15 lb sledge to the firewall to clear the passenger side head. This was also to clear the sway bar with the engine sitting this low.

So all of this equals 7 degrees of engine angle. I ran out of time last night but I plan to check engine angle via the crank pulley tonight. My only saving grace will be that it varies greatly from the t/b method. I'd be comfortable with 5 or less.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm kind of in a place right now where I firmly believe anyone who has done this swap(LS/M6) has too much engine angle. I say this because I am fairly certain I have my engine sitting lower than any pictures I've seen to date.
I wouldn't be surprised, you're one of like 3 guys that I know that would even bother to check. I imagine there is room to move the block forward and make the angle better, but then it would drive like an Audi.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I wouldn't be surprised, you're one of like 3 guys that I know that would even bother to check. I imagine there is room to move the block forward and make the angle better, but then it would drive like an Audi.
I rechecked engine angle last night using the head as my deck. My angle was 1.5 degrees. So the throttle body is a whopping 6 degrees different. Long story short, I may have jumped the gun a little, lol. I'm still curious where others are sitting currently though since my engine is still very low. I'll likely raise the front of the engine 1/2" and the tranny 1/4" from where it is now to gain ground clearance.

I'll be welding some steel mock up mounts tonight that I will then use to make a fixture. I will use that fixture to modify the stock Camaro aluminum mounts. So when you're ready I can build you a set. The tranny mount is going to be easy, the '35-'40 Ford Chassis mount we use for 4L60's is nearly perfect.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts