Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Little background on me, I am a 4G63 guy through and through. I don't say "DSM guy" simply because technically the two 4G63 powered cars I've owned, a Galant VR4 and Colt GT aren't DSM's. I had a '91 GVR4 that ran low 12's back in the late 90's and it got me hooked on turbos. The '89 Colt GT weighs 2500 lbs and makes right at 400WHP. It was my daily driver before this. It's fun but not practical for commuting or taking the family anywhere.

My wife was in a bad accident in her Magnum SRT last year and she made me swear I would get something bigger/safer. I drive roughly 500 miles a week so some comfort would be nice. Not wanting to disappoint her, I used the opportunity to begin shopping for a replacement vehicle. I was mainly looking for a LS powered car, I had found a G35 and a WRX that had both been LSx swapped. I was close to pulling the trigger on the G35 when my real dream car popped up on Craigslist. It was an '04 IS300 with a GTE VVTi swap already done. The car was also listed on here and on ClubLexus. The car appeared to have been built properly using well made parts (with a few exceptions). I explained to the wife that this car would accomplish many things, it would fulfill my need for HP but would also do it with much less boost than the 30 psi in the Colt and therefor put less stress on the engine. After a week or two of working out the details I took the Train to L.A. and picked it up.

Here is what the car had when I bought it.
97K miles on the chassis
30K on the engine-unknown of the tranny(Marlin Crawler internals)
AEM V1 Tuned by Shawn Church (Dezod plug-n-play harness)
1 piece custom driveshaft
Action 6 puck clutch
GT35
Suprastore manifold
Tial MVR wastegate dumped (2 bolt to v-band adapter)
RC 550 injectors
Aeromotive FPR
Dual Walbros
HKS SQV BOV
NGK plugs
2.5" piping to 3" FMIC (24x9x3) 2.75" piping to T/B
3" exhaust with 3 resonators and one 2.25" outlet muffler
AEM A/F gauge
Bride Lowmax seats
Single Din Jensen DVD player
Torsen diff

Previous owner claims 460WHP & 440WTQ @ 16 psi but I think it is making roughly 10% less than that. Once I get a little more acclimated with the AEM and get bigger injectors I will push the boost up more for that 500WHP #.

LTuned Body kit
BBS LM Reps 18x8.5" & 18x9.5

Basic maintenance performed
Timing belt
serpentine belt
spark plugs
new oil pan gaskets
new oil pump
new power steering pump
new coilpacks
rear main seal
new battery

Most of the upgrades were done by Kaizen Motorsports

The car was wrapped when I got it

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First order of business was peeling the wrap

Unfortunately, the paint came off with the wrap in some areas on the body kit. Otherwise the paint looked pretty good underneath minus some regular chips on the hood.

Reactions: rvalero

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I started familiarizing myself with the AEM with some help from the guys at Westech. The first thing I noticed was the rev-limiter was set to 6250 so I moved it up to 7250. There are still some lingering tuning issues that I am slowly working out. Nothing major, an occasional stall, tip in throttle is a little lean, decel is a little lean also.

The shifter in the car was way too tall so I had to do something about it. It was bad enough to where my hand would hit the dash when going to 5th gear. I pulled the whole assembly out and shortened it by roughly 4".

Next on the list was the intake pipe. It had a 4" to 3" adapter from HKS with the maf still in place(even though it was tuned speed density). My guess was it was just there for the IAT sensor. I looked through my spare parts bin and found a 3.5" aluminum tube and a 4" air filter. With a little trial and error I got the whole thing to work. I also picked up a non vented catch can and routed it into the new intake tube. The intake manifold already had a GM IAT sensor so I just wired it into the MAF plug (then made the appropriate changes in the AEM).

Unfortunately, now I am seeing how terrible the FMIC is doing at cooling the incoming air. This will be changed very soon.

The seats aren't the best for commuting so they will be replaced.

I scaled the car at work just because curiosity was getting the better of me. I was pleasantly surprised by the total weight considering the car has no weight reduction minus the spare tire removal. The partial weight is going to need some work though.

I am planning a few upgrades, first being the exhaust, the axle back portion of this exhaust is just terrible press bent piping with a crazy restrictive muffler. I also plan to reroute the wastegate dumppipe back into the downpipe. I may also remove one of the 3 resonators in the current exhaust depending on how loud it is after the wastegate reroute. It needs bigger injectors and a boost gauge (logging through the AEM just to see how much is failure). I also picked up some universal 4" aluminum tubing to make another intake pipe.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
133 Posts
i like the GGP a lot better
:approve:

·
Registered
133 Posts
we want engine pics

Reactions: blkdout

·
Registered
33 Posts
nice daily, keep it up

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The black Mustang from the video.

I need to fully detail under the hood because it is nasty so this is the only under hood shot I have so far. This was taken at the pre-party for the USCA event at Fontana two weekends ago.

Here are the two intake pipes side by side. I am trying to pace myself on the upgrades and improvements.

Here I am halfway through removing the wrap. The hose hooked up to the hot water heater worked wonders on the big flat panels.

These are the kinds of cars I am usually hanging out with for work so the bar is set pretty high. This was two weeks ago at the USCA event at Fontana. Unfortunately, my car still has stock brakes so no play time for me just yet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Work has been crazy busy so I haven't had much time to work on the car. I was at a private event at Willow two weeks ago and they opened up the big track for everyone. My car was blocked in by a GTR so I didn't get to play. Probably a good thing anyway since the brakes suck. I did pick up some 880 Precision injectors, not what I was looking for but they were priced right and will hold me over for a little while.

Anyways, Some douche backed into my car at another event and smashed up the front bumper, intercooler, condensor and radiator. I ended up making a claim with my insurance and will be doing the work myself (excluding spraying the paint). I don't really care for this front bumper or intercooler so it's a chance to change it up a little.

I was at another event at the Orange Show speedway working with the guys from Black Widow Mufflers and had some cool lighting opportunities even though the car was filthy dirty.

It also turns out to be a good before/after for what I did this weekend.

I sectioned the back half of the spare tire well.

Once I removed the pizza slice from the well I welded the bottom section back into place.

It took some finaggling(hammer time) on the corners to reconnect but relatively not that bad. After I ground down the welds I ended up using some rust-o-leum paint and seam sealer on all the welds then sprayed some of that rubberized undercoating all over the trunk.

This took some brass balls to start cutting. I sat there with cutoff wheel in hand for what seemed like an eternity as my common sense and don't give a shit parts of my brain argued with each other.

I used a 120 grit flap wheel to clean up the cut.

Unfortunately, all this did was make the already ugly exhaust even uglier. At least that will motivate me to get moving on making the change to something better. Looking at it now I am thinking about going dual exhaust to help even things up. The next two weeks are busy again at work so I won't begin on the diffuser until August sometime.

Reactions: RyanV

·
Cherisher
4,833 Posts
sssoooo, what do you plan to do with the front bumper?

...since you don't like it and all

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sssoooo, what do you plan to do with the front bumper?

...since you don't like it and all
Considering the damage it's not usable. Look close at the last frontal pic. The only thing holding it on are zipties. I am pretty good with fiberglass repair so I may take a swing at repairing it. The problem is fiberglass isn't cheap so it may not be worth it.

·
Cherisher
4,833 Posts
Haha, I'd say keep it. You car is hot, man :lol:

Nice work on the trunk too :approve:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha, I'd say keep it. You car is hot, man :lol:

Nice work on the trunk too :approve:
Thanks! I haven't really found a replacement bumper that looks really good. There are a few that are decent looking but nothing that really makes me go, "Yeah that's the one". I'd really like something a little more subtle and that I can fit a fog light in (preferably oem). The Duraflex "Concept" is at the top of my list right now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Gathering parts

I picked these up for $200, I figure I can sell the Brides that are in it and recoop that amount two fold pretty easily. An added bonus to this is that the new seats are 10 lbs lighter each.

Koyo aluminum Radiator(if it's getting replaced anyway I figured what the hell) - New A/C condensor - Carbon Creations Hood(this was just a WTF Why not purchase) - Duraflex C-1 front bumper(this thing is going to require some modification to fit a big FMIC but I liked it best and the price was right) and some strut bars (found these on ebay at the last minute for $80 and their shop was right down the street from where I got the hood and bumper)

Timing couldn't be worse though. I have family coming in this weekend and then I will be in Louisville all next week for the Street Rod Nationals. Once I get all this stuff mocked up I will measure for the new intercooler.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I picked up some misc aluminum 3" bends, a 31"x13"x4" intercooler and a 50mm BOV. The last few weeks has been so frustrating knowing new parts are just sitting in the garage waiting to be installed. I took a break between mowing the lawn and installing new mini-blinds and removed the bumper to get a good look at the intercooler.

You may notice that I did get the new radiator and condenser installed last week. Just in time too with 100+ temps all week.

One of the A/C lines was in the way so it sits about an inch off center. It is also about an inch too tall so it won't allow the grill to go back in.

Next on the todo list is making new intercooler pipes. After that I really need to address the axle back exhaust.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am slowly chipping away at some small issues. The A/F gauge was just sitting loose in the cubby hole on the dash so I was determined to find a way to mount two gauges inside with some sort of hinge/spring that pops up when the cubby is opened. It took some trial and error but the foundation has been laid now I just need to figure out how to raise it when the cubby door opens. Spring is an easy choice but I will likely get a 2nd cubby from a wrecked car and experiment with the rotating mechanism for the door itself.

I used some remnant steel from our parts bin to make the plate. I made it fairly wide to fit the opening of the cubby but fairly short. I plan to add a small shift light in between the two gauges at a later date so I knew I needed the extra width.

I looked around the local hardware store and found some small hinges. I wasn't too worried about looks since they were going to be hidden anyways. These were just two bucks.

At first I bolted the hinges on but I didn't like the way it looked so I ended up welding the hinge to the plate. It actually helped having them bolted on at first so I could make sure fitment was just right.

This is what it looks like mounted. The tension on the hinge is enough to keep it still in the upright position for now.

The felt overlay in my cubby hole has seen better days so it flakes off pretty easy. You can see some residual flakes sitting at the base of the hinge/plate.

Oh, and I need a AEM Boost gauge to fill the other hole(*paranoid) LOL

Reactions: blkdout
1 - 20 of 106 Posts