Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you read my intro thread, it tells that I'm looking to get an IS300 so I've been going all around the city and ot other cities looking at them.

I found one on AutoTrader, it's black exterior with black leather/suede interior, manual, with 41,000 miles on it.. but there was no price. I called the guy to schedule an appointment (it was at a Honda dealership by the way) and went there yesterday.

The cars interior and exterior are flawless. No rock chips, clean ass paint, no interior wear marks or anything.. I mean it's a 2003 so I would hope it's still in good condition. I took it out for a test spin and I was pretty impressed.

One question though about the manual, when shifting is it VERY smooth or can you feel a very very little bump when shifting into gears? I noticed that but I didn't know if it was something normal since it's RWD or if it could be the tranny/differential or something that isn't right?

Anyways, I drive for about 5 minutes (traffic half the time) and the guy leads me back to the dealership and asks if I am ready to do the paperwork. It's funny how they try to get you to do it all then and there, but anyways.. we go inside and talk about the car. I told him I'm looking for one between 18-21k if it's going to be used. He pulls out the papers on it and they are asking 28,999 for it.. what the hell? If I were to spend that I would just go buy a new one.

I basically told the guys I wasn't interested at all and they said the lowest they can go is 24,999 which is still to high for the milage on the car and since I can get another one for much cheaper.

One of the managers called me this morning and told me he would like my business and would like to work with me. He wants me to come back in, which I can't until Friday due to classes & my work schedule.. but I told him I wouldn't be interested unless he can get it down to 21,000.

I'm going to check out 3 of them in Orlando on Friday.. one black on black automatic, a blue on black automatic, and a silver on black manual.. not even really looking at the silver though. I'm stuck on black after seeing them in person and personally being a huge fan of teh color.

Well, thats my story about how funny dealerships can be. :bigSmile:

·
Registered
416 Posts
The bump noise is standard. I came on here with the same question when I got mine and it seems everyone has it. I'm used to it now

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
So let me get this straight... You called a dealership and made an
appointment to view the car. You go in and testdrive it. They ask you
if you want to buy it and you get all bent? It's their job to ask you
to buy it! What you did is wasted some poor guy's time, because
if it was out of your budget from the get-go you wouldn't have
made the appointment... By the sounds of it they are treating you
well; showed you the car, testdrove it, tried to ask you for the
business, went down in price by 4k, manager followed up next day...

So in this case it's not the dealership that's being funny it's you...

Good luck with your purchase man.

j ;)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wasn't getting all bent up, the price on auto trader was "Unlisted" and I asked the guy when I called and he said "very low 20's" so I figured hey what the heck, thats in my range.. and when test driving a car they usually let you go on the highway, around town.. you know.

I got to go in a residental neighborhood where the speed limit max was 30mph. They lost my business basically.. why would I buy a car the SAME DAY when I'm just looking around? It's their job to try to sell it to me, yes.. but without letting me test drive it where I will most need it.

I do appreciate the manager calling, because the sales man didn't care what I wanted.. he wanted the sale without helping me in any way. Trying to convince me to take less classes per semester to pay for the car.. thats rude but you know some people do it. Haha, anyways.. "low 20's" is 23k max in my opinion. I didn't know 29,000 was low 20's. Not trying to be a dick, but it was a very weird situation.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
rebels said:
I wasn't getting all bent up, the price on auto trader was "Unlisted" and I asked the guy when I called and he said "very low 20's" so I figured hey what the heck, thats in my range.. and when test driving a car they usually let you go on the highway, around town.. you know.

I got to go in a residental neighborhood where the speed limit max was 30mph. They lost my business basically.. why would I buy a car the SAME DAY when I'm just looking around? It's their job to try to sell it to me, yes.. but without letting me test drive it where I will most need it.

I do appreciate the manager calling, because the sales man didn't care what I wanted.. he wanted the sale without helping me in any way. Trying to convince me to take less classes per semester to pay for the car.. thats rude but you know some people do it. Haha, anyways.. "low 20's" is 23k max in my opinion. I didn't know 29,000 was low 20's. Not trying to be a dick, but it was a very weird situation.
Oh, that's cool, you didn't really specify in the first story about the
decieving price... I would've pressed to know the price before
coming down, because lets face it, price is important.

Good luck man! I'm sure you'll find one you like and buy on
the spot... :p

j

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rebels:

I would suggest you try Lexus of Sarasota, they are much cheaper than either Lexus of Tampa or Lexus of Clearwater. I save about 2 grand buying my wife's car at Lexus of Sarasota.

If the car you are looking at is a CPO, which I personally am a big fan of, expect to pay 2 grand more than the standard asking price. In my humble opinion it is well worth it. My wife's CPA RX has 80 grand on it now and we have had a couple of major problesms (broken AC and broken electric windows) all were fixed with no questions asked and we got a great Lexus Loaner.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
i work at lexus of orlando... if none of these dealers can deal with you... i suggest JM Lexus of S.FL.... they have the best service + facilities at the current time... lexus of orlando has a 3.5 million dollar renovation in the service area... and the new sales will be very large once the new service dept is done.

ask to see Chanlin he's a good guy to talk to... just tell him john the porter said to see you.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
badxIS300, have you ever heard of APL or Orlando? They have quite a few and I guess I'm going to check those out on Friday..

There are quite a few around this area (within 150 miles) that I like.. I'm just undecided if I want a manual or automatic. My buddy from class just got a white IS300 and it's an auto and I like.. but I also like the 5 speed I drove.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
APL? whats it stand for?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hmmm...I saw a private party ad in the Orlando Sentinel on Sunday--it was an '03 with around 40K miles, asking 22K. There is also a Stage II blue L-tuned for sale somewhere near Clearwater with around 30K miles, 6 year warranty, manual, w/nav...that's the one I'd recommend. ;) I'd be interested if I didn't already have my car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dont let the sticker price on dealer cars scare you. There is TONS if wiggle room. Just to give you some info, when i was buying mine, i had a friend that knew a few lexus sales managers run info on all the cars i was looking at, mostly 2002's with 25k-40k miles. THEIR cost on them averages 18k (sticker was 27k-29k). That is what they took the car in for. Then you add a bit for any work they did, and 1k if its certified. That is the price they can sell it for without taking a loss.

Get your financing in order before you go, you have MUCH more bargaining power if to them you are a "cash" customer. Then find a car you like and name your price, if they dont wanna take it, move on, someone will, especially with the new IS350 coming, dealers want to unload some inventory.

My car was stickered at 27,998, i got it for 23,800, and its a 2002, certified pre-owned, with 36k miles. They will bend.

·
Registered
111 Posts
anorexicpoodle said:
Get your financing in order before you go, you have MUCH more bargaining power if to them you are a "cash" customer. Then find a car you like and name your price, if they dont wanna take it, move on, someone will, especially with the new IS350 coming, dealers want to unload some inventory.

My car was stickered at 27,998, i got it for 23,800, and its a 2002, certified pre-owned, with 36k miles. They will bend.
maybe, sometimes when you're a "cash" customer they will try to get the most of your "cash" price...since a lot of dealers like to make money on financing

when I bought mine I let them have a higher APR rate than I wanted to keep the initial out-the-door price down, 2 weeks later I refinanced with my local bank with a 2% APR off.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies guys! It's very helpful and I'm finding more sources.. now I'm thinking about the guy that called me this morning and if he would go to the price I want. He was telling me they would like to sell the car to me, blah blah.. but tell me how much you would pay for this:

2003 Lexus IS300
46,000 miles
Black leather/suede interior
Manual Tranny
Cold A/C
Drives really good..

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
Cash does nothing for you when buying a car. I've posted many times why. The dealer gets your money the same day either way. It either gets cash from you, or approves a loan and the bank gives them the cash.

Dealing with cash was good 10 years ago, it means nothing now due to the streamlined computer integration in banks.

My parents whipped out the check book for my mom's ES, they were kind of shocked, but it didn't lower the price. When we went back two years later for my car, they didn't recognize her, we did it again. The manager explained how they get their money either way, so it does you no good. You could write a check for $500 less than the final negotiated price and they'd tell you to rip the check up.

They do make money off of financing. Usually they have a partnership with a bank and will negotiate a financing schedule with you. If you dont know your credit score, get it checked immediately. They will typically throw you a figure 2-3% higher than what you normally qualify for. The dealership and the bank split the 2-3% (or whatever the difference is between the rate they finally give you and the rate you deserve).

If you know your credit, just laugh, tell them your credit score, and demand what your score deserves. Perfect (or near perfect) credit scores make this very easy. Just know about what you should be paying in finance, that is one of the easiest ways a dealership will scam you.

For that IS...23-24? I have an '03 m/t with ~35k on it, and I think $23k might still be realistic.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Aight, another dealership in Tampa got a black one in. This company doesn't mark up the prices that much IMO.. and they're easy to work with. Here's the specs and a few pictures:

2002 IS300
Automatic / Manual Mode (obviously)
Onyx Black Exterior
Black Leather/Suede Interior
Sunroof Visor
Spoiler
Silver 17" Wheels
38,500 miles
One small scratch about 2.5" on the rear bumper

Price: $22,500

Sorry about the quality.. they're from my phone and the girls phone who was with me.

What do you think about that people?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also, there is a guy selling a pearl white one with black leather/suede interior, automatic with 45k miles for $19k.. but said he would work with me if I were to come check it out.

He said the only flaw on his was a nice scratch on the mirror.. which I could get a new one or repaint it.

I would like black but I dunno .. I'm in a bind!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts