Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd do my own little mini-review of my experience with my IS300. Here goes...

2001 Lexus IS300. Graphite Gray. Black Leather/Escaine. LSD. Moonroof. Trunk Mat. Wheel Locks. 17-inch wheels with Dunlop Snowsport M2 snow tires.

In a word... I'd have to describe my feeling of the car as just "WOW". I'm truly in awe. I know it was awesome the moment I stepped foot in it at the dealership a month and a half ago for my first test drive, but now, after having the car all by myself for the last few hours... it truly is awesome.

I picked it up this morning at 9 a.m. It was so clean. And the roads outside are so dirty. I just wanted to sit in the dealership and stare at it. I did want to drive it home but it just seemed so perfect. I live just a measly 12 miles away from the dealership and didn't drive anywhere else until I left for work this afternoon. *sigh* Only 12 miles of driving and it was already very dirty. *weep with me*

Okay. But now the real stuff. The drive to work was terrific. I actually left my apartment a lot earlier today just so I would have an excuse to get back in my IS sooner. The car has power. Nothing that would make me the new "Speed Demon of Minneapolis" but it's enough that if you aren't paying attention, you could easily be doing 90 mph in no time. I love the throttle response. I know this has been an infamous gripe with some member's but I really like it. It's quick and accurate. The brakes are a bit touchy since the car is brand new but otherwise, again, quite powerful. Due to enormous amount of snow on the ground, I ended up purchasing a set of Dunlop Snowsport M2 snow tires. I've had absolutely no problem with the handling of my IS in the snow. I never fish-tailed or lost control at all. It was perfectly stable all day and night. I'd highly recommend these particular Dunlop's as well ($145 per tire).

Interior: I love the stereo. The imaging is phenomenal. I didn't push it particularly hard this evening but the crystal clear imaging from my Linkin Park "Hybrid Theory" CD was truly awesome. I've heard little sounds on the disc that I never even knew was apparent until I played it back in my IS tonight. Wow! Crystal clear highs... the midrange is sub-par... and the bass is very accurate and very deep.

I love the seats. The Escaine material really does keep you planted and on a night like tonight where it was -2 degrees outside, the heated seats were a joy to have. They warmed me right up! Speaking of warming up, even having the car parked outside at work all day and -30 degree windchill... the car started immediately and warmed up immediately!! I let it warm up for a few moments but otherwise, I was toasty warm before I got on the freeway less than a mile away!!
How cool!! err... warm, I mean.

I absolutely LOVE the HID's!! This is my first car with this type of headlamp system and am unsure of why other vehicles don't come equipped with them. They are so cool and the lamps themselves are so blue!! The auto-leveling feature is pretty neat to watch but seriously, they really DO make a difference. As far as safety is concerned, you don't merely see the road 2-ft. in front of your vehicle... you see SO much more and at a wider scope, as well. Very cool.

Oh yeah, and I love the interior lighting of the whole dash and console. I think it's so cool that everything is RED!! I was stoked when I turned on the lights for the first time tonight in the parking lot at work and everything glowed bright red inside of my car! Very easy to find everything and very easy to read. I think someone posted a thread earlier about wanting to change everything to a blue or green interior color... but IMO, the red just looks so awesome. I dunno what it is...

Ummmm... I'm sure there's a lot more that I'm missing but off the top of my head, this is all that I can come up with. Feel free to e-mail or respond with any questions any of you might have. O

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chromaplast:

Sorry you felt I wrote too much. Just thought other's who are interested in the car or other's who already OWN the car might want to hear what I have to say about my initial driving experience.

Thanks for the interest...

Scott.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Scott,

This is a Forum....

Write as Much and as Long as you like.

Great review of the car. Congrads on your new purchase!
I second everything you stated above!

------------------
JUSTIN & DENISE C. OWNERS OF THE ONE-OF-A-KIND IS300

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great review. Congrats on your new purchase. I have had my car for 10 days now and I still get a thrill evertime I sit down inside and take in the new Lexus smell...hehehehe.

After driving it around for a week or so I have noticed a couple of things. Firstly, the car does get looks from people on the road. People driving Integra Type R, customized Honda Civics and BMWs are usually the first to give you attitude. They usually pull up beside you at the light and make a good effort to beat you out at the green light. While the car isn't the fastest vehicle on the road, these folks don't usually have a chance on dry pavement. I am generally a very conservative driver who doesn't like to peel away from intersections, but sometimes you can't resist teasing some of the goofs on the road.

The other funny thing I have noticed is cars who try desperately to tag along after me on the road. I'm not sure if they are admiring the car and just want to keep it in view or if it somehow pisses people off to see someone driving a nice new car and they just want to pass you....not sure. Happened again this afternoon on the highway.

Enjoy your car and drive safe.

JordanK.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I agree great review!!!!!!! I have the same feeling even now. It has only been 23 days since i picked up the car and still have the fun feeling. The car gets looks from everyone old and new. I had a type-r follow me home, had to ditch him, don't need any thieves stealin the car.

I enjoy driven it, so far my mpg on the freeway is 18.23. Anyone else getting similar mileage? or better?

------------------
Yellow IS300 w/LSD and graphite polished rims

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Zoku,

I still fell it even after three weeks. There are just some things that you can't get over. For me, it's this car.

As for mileage, if you drive "conservative" I was able to squeeze 21.7 mpg during this last fill-up.

01 IJM w/LSD, leather, 17s (soon to have a 5Zigen exhaust & springs & shocks).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hmmm, About this gas mileage thing. Everytime I fill-up my mpg is somewhere around 21-23 all the time. I drive 1/4 in town and 3/4 highway. I guess Im lucky.

·
Registered
301 Posts
After I got my first oil change at 3000 miles, I got HORRIBLE mileage on one tank.

I got regular oil for this oil change, switching to synthetic at 10K. I filled up with some 92, and mostly did city driving. I got 120 miles to the tank!!! I was pissed..

On my next tank, I got the 220 or 230 miles I normally get.

weird...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
9 Participants
sambusik
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing