Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's a lot of work, damn... But props on the Blue IS300 crew!

·
Registered
6 Posts
For the standalone solution I opted for a kit that is fairly new to this platform. I had great success with it in my na-t IS300 so there was no hesitation to make the decision to purchase the same one for this chassis. I purchased an IS300 Link ECU from Xcessive Manufacturing (click here for more specs!) This ecu completely eliminates the factory ECU and is still able to retain all of the stock gauges/functions as well as offer a robust tuning application, to me it just makes the most sense and is the best bang for the buck in my opinion!

I also opted to keep the factory 1j engine harness since the plugs are all the same as the 2001 IS300 plugs, with a quick repinning and cross reference between the 01 IS and JZS171 we were able to make it plug and play. The harness lays itself out perfectly to fit into the stock IS300 airbox.

Here's another big reason why I like this kit so much. Xcessive Mfg really did a good job at paying attention to detail to even make it fit in the ecu box like it was meant to be. I drilled a small hole in the back of the lid also to allow for the integrated map sensor vacuum line to pass through as well. It was the perfect length hose to reach the vacuum nipple on the backside of the intake manifold.

Next, I moved onto the throttle cable replacement. The factory IS300 throttle cable is too short and wont reach the throttle body on the 1j. I used a 1994 2.2L 4 cyl Camry throttle cable I found used on ebay. Could have probably got it even cheaper at a pick and pull but I don't have much time (or desire) to make a trip to the junkyard, it was still cheap though.

Just separate this bracket from the Camry cable and it'll fit through the firewall.

I secured it in place with a ziptie, it's a bit long but it works.

I also made a video for better reference as well here:
Did you have to retune the car or just calibrate the tps & maf or what how does it work I don’t wanna have to buy the ecu & not know if it needs to be retuned

·
Registered
657 Posts
It would need to be retuned. The Link-Panic ecu has a basic tune on it for a NA 2JZ, but even it is rpm limited. Most standalones that are vehicle+engine specific have a base tune that is only to start it up/ maybe limp it to a tuner for the real tune. Too many variables on a build to have a “one tune to rule them all” approach. Besides, it ain’t a Cobb AP on a Subaru 😝

21 - 24 of 24 Posts