Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago my roomate got in an accident on the 805. Thank God he's okay but his car was a total loss(last car was a camaro RS). Anyways he comes back today with a Mustang. His Mustang is a V6 yr '00 but it has this badge on the back that read "EFI". He tells me that it's not a normal V6 stang and that it has some extra "stuff" done to it. It looks like any other mustang except that it does have dual exhaust and does sound pretty deep when he revs(prob exhaust)? I took a look underneath his hood and don't see anything different. I don't know much about domestic cars and wanted to know if anyone could enlighten me on this paticular model bcuz he wants to see how it handles againt my eshift IS.

·
Registered
46,689 Posts
RanFerr_is300 said:
A week ago my roomate got in an accident on the 805. Thank God he's okay but his car was a total loss(last car was a camaro RS). Anyways he comes back today with a Mustang. His Mustang is a V6 yr '00 but it has this badge on the back that read "EFI". He tells me that it's not a normal V6 stang and that it has some extra "stuff" done to it. It looks like any other mustang except that it does have dual exhaust and does sound pretty deep when he revs(prob exhaust)? I took a look underneath his hood and don't see anything different. I don't know much about domestic cars and wanted to know if anyone could enlighten me on this paticular model bcuz he wants to see how it handles againt my eshift IS.

:lol:

Sounds like your roommate is a tool.

EFI means Electronic Fuel Injection. 99% of modern cars have it. Putting an EFI badge on a car in this time period is the equivilant of bragging that your car has airbags.

That said its a V6 mustang. No matter what anyone tells you and no matter what you do to it, it will always be a slow hunk of shit. There are almost no exceptions to this rule. Dumb people will tell you there is...........there is not.

PS - People that say cars have 'stuff' done to them have no idea what they are talking about.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mazdaspeed said:

EFI means Electronic Fuel Injection. 99% of modern cars have it. Putting an EFI badge on a car in this time period is the equivilant of bragging that your car has airbags.

That said its a V6 mustang. No matter what anyone tells you and no matter what you do to it, it will always be a slow hunk of shit. There are almost no exceptions to this rule. Dumb people will tell you there is...........there is not.

PS - People that say cars have 'stuff' done to them have no idea what they are talking about.
I figured that! I knew he was full of shit :bigSmile: ! Well i guess he will surprised when do a run tomorrow night. I'll try to video tape it. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mazdaspeed said:

This guy certainly sounds like a moron, but considering the 99-04 V6's were capable of low 15's w/ a good driver/conditions and a manual tranny and both 05's being a bit faster puts several of them well within reach of an auto IS in the 1/4.

...Not to mention there are TONS of V6's much faster than that.

You act like he's totally ignorant (which I'm not disputing :bigSmile: ), but you'd have to pretty ignorant to make a statement like you made w/o having any clue what you're talking about.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mazdaspeed said:
You will win but in case no one has ever told you.........your car ain't too quick either.
^^trust me i know IS are not quick cars! I'm not taking anything for granted. If i wanted a quicker i would've bought a G35 or a 350z but i like how the IS looks. I don't race either so this thing between my roomate and me is totally fun ;) .

·
Registered
46,689 Posts
Blainestang said:
This guy certainly sounds like a moron, but considering the 99-04 V6's were capable of low 15's w/ a good driver/conditions and a manual tranny and both 05's being a bit faster puts several of them well within reach of an auto IS in the 1/4.

...Not to mention there are TONS of V6's much faster than that.

You act like he's totally ignorant (which I'm not disputing :bigSmile: ), but you'd have to pretty ignorant to make a statement like you made w/o having any clue what you're talking about.
I am not going to get into a mustang argument with a mustang person for several reasons. First a foremost I don't care. Its a hunk of shit. CAn you make said hunk of shit fast? I am sure some moron has, and that does absolutley nothing to dillute my point. My neighbor has a Chevy Vega thats fast.....that doesn't alleviate the Chevy Vega from it's rightful place as one of the biggest shitbarn cars to ever roll of GM assembly lines. Anyone who cares to dispute a V6 mustangs status in the automotive world should be force fed muratic acid.

Can I get OKCIS in here to dispatch this discussion? I haven't the patience.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mazdaspeed said:
I am not going to get into a mustang argument with a mustang person for several reasons. First a foremost I don't care. Its a hunk of shit. CAn you make said hunk of shit fast? I am sure some moron has, and that does absolutley nothing to dillute my point. My neighbor has a Chevy Vega thats fast.....that doesn't alleviate the Chevy Vega from it's rightful place as one of the biggest shitbarn cars to ever roll of GM assembly lines. Anyone who cares to dispute a V6 mustangs status in the automotive world should be force fed muratic acid.

Can I get OKCIS in here to dispatch this discussion? I haven't the patience.
1. It obviously won't be worth my time to argue w/ you because you obviously hate Mustangs, but for the benefit of others, I will point out the flaws in your greatly biased opinion.

2. You are certainly entitled to your opinion and your ignorance masked in feigned intelligence.

3. I am certainly not saying that the V6 Mustang is some amazing, blazing fast machine, nor do I believe that the V6 Mustang is high up on the automotive food chain by any means, but when we're talking about an auto IS and you have a Mazdaspeed anything, which would likely run ~high 14's stock unless its the 6, neither car is totally in another 1/4-mile league than the 05 V6 Mustang or even a 99-04 Manual which are capable of high 14s to low 15's depending on the car, so acting like they are disgustingly slow would be like the pot calling the kettle black.

4. With regard to considering them to be "hunks of crap," I'm not sure what you're basing that on other than your opinion. Usually such a suggestion is w/ relation to reliability/quality, and while the Mustang of course is in a totally different league of quality as a Lexus for instance, I purchased my low 15-second capable '00 V6 for $13k NEW, and it has received almost exclusively great reliability/quality ratings from JDPowers, MSN Auto's, and Consumer Reports to name a few.

So, believe what you like, that's your right, but don't just start spouting off ignorant statements like "they are slow hunks of crap" when you don't have any basis in fact and when you're comparing them to cars that are not much if any faster.

This is not to say that this guys roommate is not a complete moron, because it sounds as if he is. BTW, another important peice of info that we don't have is the transmission of the '00 Mustang. Manual, and should be close from a dig, given that it is capable of low-mid 15's in the 1/4, but if it's an auto, I'd lean towards the IS as the Auto's are more like low 16 second cars.

Good Luck...

·
Super Moderator
13,453 Posts
Im here but i dont know what to say cause mustangs are pieces of shit especially v-6's

If its a stang and its over 2 years old close the doors on it and listen...... Youll think the thing is about to fall into 1000 pieces on the ground the dash shakes like a mofo the interior looks like shit. They are slow (fox bodies and 03,04 cobras excluded) regardless of what they are i dont give a shit you cant make an arguement to even remotely make me think that ANY mustang is a nice car unless its one i excluded and even then the foxbodies are total hunks of shit.

Now your asking "why the hell do you drive one then?"

Cause foxbodies are the shit and all you use if you want to make it fast is the frame and the body the rest of it is aftermarket

Oh yeah and im sorry 14 seconds is not fast neither is 15 seconds not even remotely fast one of my pet peeves is when people say WTF do you mean its slow it runs 14.20's!!!! Fuck off 14's are slow plain and simple

·
Registered
44 Posts
i run 14s!!!!! im a wiener!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
cracka350z said:
i run 14s!!!!! im a wiener!!!
To bad your car runs 19's..... TOOL :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
OKCIS said:
Im here but i dont know what to say cause mustangs are pieces of shit especially v-6's

If its a stang and its over 2 years old close the doors on it and listen...... Youll think the thing is about to fall into 1000 pieces on the ground the dash shakes like a mofo the interior looks like shit. They are slow (fox bodies and 03,04 cobras excluded) regardless of what they are i dont give a shit you cant make an arguement to even remotely make me think that ANY mustang is a nice car unless its one i excluded and even then the foxbodies are total hunks of shit.

Now your asking "why the hell do you drive one then?"

Cause foxbodies are the shit and all you use if you want to make it fast is the frame and the body the rest of it is aftermarket

Oh yeah and im sorry 14 seconds is not fast neither is 15 seconds not even remotely fast one of my pet peeves is when people say WTF do you mean its slow it runs 14.20's!!!! Fuck off 14's are slow plain and simple
1. I know 14s and 15's are not fast... :rolleyes: ... but speed is relative, so it's kind of dumb to call a car SLOW that's just as fast as the one you're comparing it to.

2. Second, there are plenty of Mustangs that are fast... V6's through Cobra R's... even stock, compared to most cars on the road. 99-04 GT's are even capable of high 13's stock, which is not amazing, but plenty fast compared to the cars in it's price range. The Mach 1 can go low 13's, 99/01 Cobra's mid 13's, etc. BTW, Fox's are awesome, which is why I'm buying one... for $500.

3. For a peice of crap, the Mustang sure gets good reliability and quality ratings from MSN (5/5), Consumer Reports (5 problems per 100 cars when Average is 12/17/21 for Asia/America/Europe), and JD Powers (5/5 Mechanical Quality, 4/5 Overall). You guys are right, however, that the interior leaves something to be desired... but last time I checked, this wasn't Club RSX, so a nice interior doesn't add hp.

I'm not saying any Mustang is the leader in speed or quality, and obviously Lexus is one of the leaders, if not THE leader in quality, but all the facts, not opinions, say that Mustangs are fairly reliable cars that are also near the top of their price class in speed.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Super Moderator
13,453 Posts
Blainestang said:
1. I know 14s and 15's are not fast... :rolleyes: ... but speed is relative, so it's kind of dumb to call a car SLOW that's just as fast as the one you're comparing it to.

2. Second, there are plenty of Mustangs that are fast... V6's through Cobra R's... even stock, compared to most cars on the road. 99-04 GT's are even capable of high 13's stock, which is not amazing, but plenty fast compared to the cars in it's price range. The Mach 1 can go low 13's, 99/01 Cobra's mid 13's, etc. BTW, Fox's are awesome, which is why I'm buying one... for $500.

3. For a peice of crap, the Mustang sure gets good reliability and quality ratings from MSN (5/5), Consumer Reports (5 problems per 100 cars when Average is 12/17/21 for Asia/America/Europe), and JD Powers (5/5 Mechanical Quality, 4/5 Overall). You guys are right, however, that the interior leaves something to be desired... but last time I checked, this wasn't Club RSX, so a nice interior doesn't add hp.

I'm not saying any Mustang is the leader in speed or quality, and obviously Lexus is one of the leaders, if not THE leader in quality, but all the facts, not opinions, say that Mustangs are fairly reliable cars that are also near the top of their price class in speed.

What are you gettin like an 88-92 coupe roller?

Pm me if you wanna talk fox's i know a little bit about them :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
OKCIS said:
What are you gettin like an 88-92 coupe roller?

Pm me if you wanna talk fox's i know a little bit about them :p
It's a one owner (friend of mine) '93 2.3L w/ 180k, but no accidents, and no 5.0 to torque the frame... so it's a great car to start all over with :) The cars actually a daily driver and everything works, too, but the paint is bad (no rust... TX/FL car) and the Air Bag electronics are messed up.

It'll take a few years, but I'm planning on deep 11's or better w/ an N/A 302 Stroker setup w/ awesome heads/cam and a little weight reduction OR I'll just go all the way to an aftermarket block and a turbo. At that point, I'd definately be going for single digits in the 1/4.

Oh, and to keep this post on topic... my Fox will be faster than the original poster's IS. :bigSmile: haha

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
I'm going to burst a few buubles here...

First of all. MAZDASPEED (as in the tuner) has NOTHING to do with straight line representation.

As a matter of fact, a REALLY FAST CAR has NOTHING to do with straight line representation.

DRAG CARS go fast in a straight line. SO in that sense, a mustang can and will ONLY be a fast DRAG CAR.

Newsflash car enthusiasts everywhere:

CARS HAVE STEERING WHEELS!!!!!!

If you can use the steering wheel while driving fast, you DO NOT HAVE A FAST CAR. A mazdaspeed ANYTHING will destroy a mustang XX, except for MAYBE the purpose built Roush cars or the Cobra R.

A road course is the only place that will test the limits of the engine, the suspension, the tires, the brakes and brake distribution, and most of all the driver. My bosses 9sec tubbed out camaro has 650hp and STOCK BRAKES!!!!! Try that on a road car..

JUst like it wouldn't be life if you weren't thrown some curves, it ain't a race until you hit the turns.

You people keep saying the IS is slow. FOr those of you in that category, your car sense is too straight-minded.

Reactions: Mazdaspeed

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Inspar8r said:
A road course is the only place that will test the limits of the engine, the suspension, the tires, the brakes and brake distribution, and most of all the driver. My bosses 9sec tubbed out camaro has 650hp and STOCK BRAKES!!!!! Try that on a road car..

JUst like it wouldn't be life if you weren't thrown some curves, it ain't a race until you hit the turns.

You people keep saying the IS is slow. FOr those of you in that category, your car sense is too straight-minded.

Touche'. Those like myself just can't afford the maintenance on our car after beating on it so badly on the track. Like you said, when racing around a track, you're testing EVERY aspect of the car's ability and quality. Needless to say, I agree with your statement; but for a lot of us, a quick stop light race is plenty wear & tear. It's funny, lol, every time I finish racing someone I think about how much money I just burned on future repairs and possibly having to change the oil at 1K mi instead of 3K. A couple of trips to the autoX and I'm replacing brakes, rotors, tires, clutch etc. Call me cheap, but that's why I'm so "straight-minded" :p

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
IZZY RICH said:
Touche'. Those like myself just can't afford the maintenance on our car after beating on it so badly on the track. Like you said, when racing around a track, you're testing EVERY aspect of the car's ability and quality. Needless to say, I agree with your statement; but for a lot of us, a quick stop light race is plenty wear & tear. It's funny, lol, every time I finish racing someone I think about how much money I just burned on future repairs and possibly having to change the oil at 1K mi instead of 3K. A couple of trips to the autoX and I'm replacing brakes, rotors, tires, clutch etc. Call me cheap, but that's why I'm so "straight-minded" :p
This is very true, good call...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts