Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

recently i was told my No. 2 LCAs were bad...i bought some used ones with decent bushings from a junk yard. I was also told my steering rack was "leaking" into one of the boots..i have yet to change the LCAs and steering rack as im compiling parts for a steering and suspension refresh. Recently my power steering has been has been whining (not loud, but noticeable) especially on full lock...

my steering wheel also struggles to return to straight coming off of a turn.

my question is, would it be safe to say that the lower ball joints, lcas, steering rack and the possibility of bad belts result in the sloppiness and noisy front suspensiom?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Yeah sounds about right..I had a bad ball joint and my steering rack was leaking into one of the boots as well, so it sounds exactly like what you described..noisy front suspension, steering wheel would return after a turn. Driving it just didn't feel right anymore, and now that I replaced it all, new tires and alignment..it feels perfect again! I'm sure the bad LCAs are making it worse.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
The lower ball joints and rack issue would give you the sloppiness as mm71522 mentioned and went through, but the whine at lock is pretty normal because the pump is pushing max pressure and I believe is releived by a check valve. Idle rpms should also bump up at lock as well, so that may be normal. It wouldn't be a serpentine belt issue unless it screaches and/or is cracked and old.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I always knew something wasn't right beyond what I already knew on the car, a second opinion eases the mind

1 - 4 of 4 Posts