Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I apologize for my shitty camera...
The JDM dash kits plastic looks the best, but its fit and finish leaves much to be desired in terms of the gapping around the double din nav screen.

Its very simple, although a litlte time consuming, and definitely less expensive to do this yourself!

Buy the metra install kit from best buy, circuit city, etc.. It's about 15 bucks.
Buy some plastic epoxy.
Assemble the dash kit, per the instructions... once its put together, simply epoxy the "gap" between the trim bezel, and outer portion of the dash kit.
Be sure you use extra epoxy, so that it is not sunk down, as you'll need to sand to an even finish.
Let the epoxy cure overnight, so it becomes rock hard.
Gradually sand the entire piece, starting with 60 grit, working up to 600 or so, to make it perfectly smooth.
This gets rid of the disgusting texture on the kit, as well as making the gap disappear.

Finally, paint the kit with everyday flat black spraypaint. Be sure you use between 6 and 10 coats. You can clear coat after if you wish, but its unneccessary.

Here is the finished product, without the back pieces attached.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
6-10 coats of paint? Is that for the fat soft look? Would take forever to cure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm assuming you've never spraypainted anything?
You do it in very very light coats, to avoid spotting.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Your assuming wrong.

Regardless of small coats or not, a flat black paint ie Krylon would not get hard for along time. The outter layer might seem stong but a little bit of preasure with ur nail and id bet it would be soft under all the coats.

Im not saying this is a bad thing, but i dont see why it takes 6-10 coats? My question is why does it take so many coats? Are you trying to make it look soft? Is the kit textured so your trying to cover it up?

If so, why not use a fast drying primer, wet sand it then 2 coats of black.?

D

·
Runs on Rice
2,900 Posts
I'm assuming you've never spraypainted anything?
You do it in very very light coats, to avoid spotting.
Actually is300soon has spray painted everything he can put his hand to. :p

Good job on the fab. You should take some installed pictures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts