Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i heard of MSD DIS-4's going bad. and thus people switching over to AEM CDI's. Has anyone had the MSD DIS-4 go bad and have "misfire" symptoms. I.e. CEL and TRAC flash.

When my ignition is on the "ON" switch, the MSD DIS-4 light does not come on. Does this mean it is out? Somehow it is directly wired up to the plugs and ignitor. Have to finger out the wiring is. hopefully this is my issue.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
if the light isnt on, then ur MSD went bad.....they have been known to do that over extended usage....even SRT had issues with them....its not just a toyomoto thing.....

however, try turning the car over, and then see if it goes on or not....or perhaps you wired it up wrong....

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well well the light turns on now that the car is started. it turns over. Lance installed the MSD DIS-4. i have to pull the plug cover and do a compression test, leakdown and check the plugs. i wonder what went bad.

·
Registered
47 Posts
MSD has a soon to be released updated version of the DIS-4 and for good reason. The AEM have also had their fair share of issues. Two others to check out : M&W and Autronic's 500R CDI. www.aussieimportsllc.com carries both. Cost is roughly double of the MSD though when the DIS-4 fails and it's replaced, you just paid for a quality ignition.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
It really has nothing to do with toyomoto.

MSD's and AEM's have been known to fail.
But whatever. I don't need ignition.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im not pointing it at Toyomoto. just their kits that come with MSD are faulty. the lights back on the DIS 4, though i still have a slight loss of power it seems and im still misfiring.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
AltezzaBob said:
im not pointing it at Toyomoto. just their kits that come with MSD are faulty. the lights back on the DIS 4, though i still have a slight loss of power it seems and im still misfiring.
as someone already mentioned...its the HEAT that kills them....move it out of the engine bay and put it behind the drivers side kick panel.... ;)

·
Registered
712 Posts
This thread could not have come at a better time! My car decided to start on 4 cyl today, faulty MSD dis-4 unit AGAIN. This is the third Unit that goes bad. They last roughly a year of daily usage. This one lasted a little more because I took it out of the engine bay and located it below the drivers seat.

The light is on, but I only get two coils to work instead of three. This is the same sympton as before (2 units dead) I placed an order on the cheapest place I could find a dis 4 since AEM cdi is not being made anymore and I dont want to change my harness or anything else. I found one at http://store.wpsracing.com/ they told me their sending me the new improved dis 4 which just came out. Hopefully they fixed this issue.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
geez even in the driver side panel they still go out. what crap.
how can you tell if only 2 coils are active instead of 3? i get a slight loss of power down low and when the rpms go up i get the power back..... :suspiciou

·
Registered
654 Posts
AltezzaBob said:

Then take Toyomoto Kits out of the thread...............Sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RAVEN said:
Then take Toyomoto Kits out of the thread...............Sounds like a good idea.
DONE.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
people are getting their panties all bunched up.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Code P0300 : Random Cylinder misfire.

Only code. So im guessing the DIS-4 for sure now, though im not quite certain how the DIS-4 works with being faulty and certain coilpacks not firing. Anyone know how the DIS-4 is wired up?

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
fock the stock computer with missfire.
Even though you have an MSD doesn't mean the car won't throw missfire codes.
And just cause it's throwing a code doesn't necessarily mean it's actually happening.
You're not using the stock ignition system.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
fock the stock computer with missfire.
Even though you have an MSD doesn't mean the car won't throw missfire codes.
And just cause it's throwing a code doesn't necessarily mean it's actually happening.
You're not using the stock ignition system.

Ahh, my friendly misfire code. I can't accellerate away fom a light without throwing one of these bad boys. The stock ECU is just bitching because it's not in control.

Much like a woman.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it didn't throw this code ever, so im wondering why it threw the p0300 now. John are you still using the MSD or have you switched over to a new ignition? i plan on swapping out with the AEM CDI. any suggestions?

and oddly, i have ran the engine harder and didn't throw this code, and when it was roughly 98 deg outside at night, passed a car, the engine popped and spewed a bunch of unburnt fuel out and threw p0300 22 times. i just reset the CEL and its off, but i notice a still loss of power.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If your MSD unit is lighting up and misfire, has it occur to you to check your spark
plug gap?

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
spark plug gaps dont regap itself in the chamber. regardless i did check them all and they are all fine .029

1 - 20 of 35 Posts