Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading one of your replies when I came across your "fact" you threw out: "the m3 sedan began production in '97 so there's one little bit of BS." In a C&D comparison of Supra TT vs M3 Coupe manual trans vs 3000GT... The M3 Coupe manual transmission was clocked at 5.6 seconds for 0-60. I seriously doubt that with two extra doors that the M3 sedan can retain the 5.6 time or even the 5.7 time. If you have some literature where BMW or any professional source that claims that the manual M3 sedan is faster than the automatic GS400, bring it on. Show me the article!!! I personally don't think that these two cars should be compared, but this is your comparison.

The fact is, the GS400 was the fastest automatic sedan in the world for about a year or so. The Jaguar XJR dethroned the GS400 in 1998 with a 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. I believe the Jaguar XJR may still be the fastest automatic sedan in the world, although I don't think they're still claiming a 5.2. It's probably more of 5.6, which is still faster than the GS400.

For the record, the GS400 was introduced in 1997 (maybe as a 98 model year). I know for a fact that the older body of the GS was discontinued after the 96 model year.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
okay, well apparantely this thing doesn't take tables so this is what i know. i posted the link to an article down below and cars.com will be happy to inform you that the weight of the car is the same with 4 doors.

also look at the power/weight ratio
m3 3175/240 = 13.2
gs400 3693/300 = 12.31

the gs400 has a lesser amount of weight compared to power so it should be faster. however the article does say that the sedan has the SAME PERFORMANCE(some argue better because the weight is 50/50 now) as the coupe. just so you know

[From TEG: Your numbers look more like weight/power...
]

[From TEG: Besides - that 5.6 time for the M3 was for the manual M3. The auto M3 was never that quick. Why do we keep going around in circles comparing the manual M3 to the auto GS400??? ]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited August 15, 2000).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From the article you posted:

"...and in just over six seconds with the available five-speed automatic."

This piece of information is still favorable to the GS400 because it still let Lexus claim the GS400 is the fastest automatic sedan (5.7 secs) in the world (at that time).

BTW, "in just under 6 seconds" to me means 5.8 at best. Because the 5.6 seconds claimed by C&D is not "just under six seconds". At 5.6 secs, it's just over the mid-five sec range. Just some car enthusiast lingo here.

Needless to say, the new M3 will blow the GS400 away, but I think the new C32 AMG will give the M3 a run for its money with the C32 having a 5-spd auto trans with times expected under 5 secs for 0-60.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
well i never said the m3 auto was faster
i know its not. anyhow, the sedan IS as fast as the coupe. in the later m3 years there's been some time discrepancies varying from 5.6-6.0. i think it would depend on the car. who knows. the new c32 and m3 are going to be very stiff competition. mb's numbers so far are 5.1 i belive in auto form...the new m3 is an estimated 5.2...so it'll be close but i think mb has the upper hand because the c32 is a sedan and i don't think the new m3 is going to come in 4 door form. there's a rumor but nothing official about a new m3 sedan yet so we'll see.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
yeah...i'm looking for a white 4 door manual right now and its a pain because everyone bought their sedans in auto form....damn.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I remember Lexus claiming the fastest sedan throne only to eat crow over the fact that the BMW 540I was in fact the class leader in 0 - 60,. I also know that there is almost no difference betweent the M3 coupe and Sedan as far as performance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes, the M3 sedan and coupe have the same weight and same performance, according to BMW USA. Same thing applies to all the new E46 3-series (coupe vs sedan).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
Cal
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing