Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want a new convertible, but equally want a 2002 IS3 with manual and Navigation (hopefully 2002 will have it). What do you guys think about the MR2 Spyder. A few dealers are selling them for no more than MSRP. Despite the utter lack of storage space, I figure it could be a fun tide-me-over car until the new IS3 is out. It's hardly an S2000, but at 24-grand the MR2 Spyder seems like a pretty darn good buy.
What does everyone think?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm going to get a SBM 2001 Spyder with a sequential transmission (thanks, TEG), and I must say that they're wonderful cars. If you haven't taken a test drive, I'd highly recommend it. They have a nice, smooth ride for a roadster and the wind is pretty tame. Handling is superb, of course. They'll outrun and outhandle an IS 300, but of course it would be pretty sad if they couldn't (since the entire car is devoted to driving, with hardly any compromises made). Most people I've talked to said storage space isn't as big of an issue as they thought it would be. There's enough space for 2 duffle bags behind you and a stuffed backpack up front. However, if this is going to be your or your family's only car, I'd definitely go with the IS 300. Either way, you get a great car with great reliability. After engulfing myself with Spyder information over the last month, I can barely stand to look at cars with more than 6" front or rear overhang
. My opinion is to get the Spyder provided you have another mode of transportation at your disposal in case you need to haul around more than 1.9 cubic feet of stuff. Test drive it on a nice day, fly through some curves, and try to buy something else. Use the extra $10k for upgrades

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Test drive a miata while you're at it. About the same price and power and handling. This year has some nice upgrades: nicer seats, 16" wheels, etc. Definitely worth a look.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
395 Posts
Actually, one thing I didn't think about was the timing. If you're only keeping it until next spring/summer/fall (whenever the 2002s come out), then it may not be worth it if it snows wherever you live. I think the Spyder with its big tires and light weight will be an awful winter car. But it's still fun to drive. And even Tony knows that real men drive MR2 Spyders

·
Registered
7 Posts
Where can you get the MR2 Sypder for only MSRP???? It is still marked up like crazy by dealers everywhere, even more than the IS300 from my experience. Please share with us the location and price ... thanx

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by Nate:
But it's still fun to drive. And even Tony knows that real men drive MR2 Spyders
Haha. No.
Real men slap forced induction onto everything...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
62 Posts
i've been looking at those MR2s also. just to zip around in during the summer. of course, i'd have to keep my contour for winter driving, but the tour would last longer since it would only be working half the time.

hmmmm.....

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
As many of you know I currently have the IS300 and a supercharged Mark1 MR2.

I plan to replace the MR2 with a sequential-shift MR2-Spyder someday... Perhaps in a couple of years.

I wouldn't say the MR2-Spyder outhandles/outruns the IS300. I think on paper they have very similar performance and handling numbers.

But of course the MR2-Spyder is a tiny, light, nimble, tossable car, and the IS300 is less involving to drive at the limit.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Faster/Quicker than an IS300 (but not by much).

Stock 0-60 for the 5 speed was around 6.8 (vs 7.4) secs. 1/4 mile in 14.8 (vs 15.3)

It is real easy to put on a larger (aftermarket) crank pulley which overdrives the supercharger for more boost.

For instance with a Blitz pulley you can get 12lbs boost (instead of 8) and HP jumps from 145 to about 170 - with 0-60 dropping to about 6.2 secs.

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by webmaster:
Test drive a miata while you're at it. About the same price and power and handling. This year has some nice upgrades: nicer seats, 16" wheels, etc. Definitely worth a look.

Tony, good points about the miata. ALthough the MR2 outhandles the Miata, I would miss the storage space, leather interior and traction control apparent in the Mazda. I drove the MR2 and love the handling. Haven't driven a new Miata. Have you driven one? And do you know whether the 16 inch rubber is available only in 2001?

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by webmaster:

I checked out the new Miata, very sharp car. But this weekend I also found a dealer with a year 2000 S2000, willing to sell at MSRP. I forgot how amazingly this thing handles. Bummer about the plastic rear-window and lack of rear-stereo speakers. But the power out of that tiny engine is intoxicating. Does anyone think I could put winter tires on a light convertible like the S2000 and survive in the midwest for a year, until the 2002 IS3 comes out?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts