Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as title.. i have no clue how to read the MPG gauge in our car, i don't think it's even accurate

i see 40 in the middle, 80 on the very top, so what is each gap? 5mpg?and when cruzin... it reads 26?(i'm guessing) but it's really not 26.. ( i tried to use 40 to divide up the number but still have no clue)

unlike the new is or bmw... ez to understand

·
Registered
349 Posts
Each tick is 20 MPG increments.

Starting at 0 to 80...

I don't know how accurate it is, though...

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
How hard is it to read the fuel consumption gauge??? Count the ticks to determine how the gauge is gradiated.

I find my car's gauge to be fairly accurate. It goes from 0 to 20L/100km. It usually hovers around 10L/100km... and when I do a calculation for my overall gas mileage... it usually does turn out to be just over 10L/100km. So I'd assume these gauges are accurate.

In the worst case scenario though... you could use it as a RELATIVE gauge to show when you are using more or less gas.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
The gauge should have had a lower scale, like peaking at 40MPG or maybe 60. Not 80.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Lvangundy said:
The gauge should have had a lower scale, like peaking at 40MPG or maybe 60. Not 80.
You know... when I was looking at the american gauge clusters... I was wondering why your gauges go from 0 to 80 mpg! Does it ever goto 80 mpg?

The Canadian models have gauges calibrated in L/100km... and they go from 0 to 20L/100km. This is the equivalent of approximately 11 mpg to infinity miles per gallon. I wonder why ours have different ranges.

In Japan... I think the gauges are calibrated using km/L

·
Whatever they say I am...
2,700 Posts
I actually gave up trying to figure that damn thing out.... :pissed: I dont even look at it anymore.....

·
Registered
661 Posts
It goes to 80MPG all the time, when you release the throttle. Each tick mark on the gauge is 10MPG. I find it pretty easy to read and use, and its a good tool to keep you from flogging thg throttle, as with gas being so expensive these days, I feel bad watching it sit at 0 - 5MPG when giving it throttle.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yeah it seems useless until highway driving but it looks cool jumping up and down when shifting. :) Sucky thing is that guage is probably as close as I will ever get to having a boost gauge in my car. :(

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
It is an INSTANTANEOUS mpg gauge. It's trying to tell you what your mileage is AT THAT GIVEN MOMENT in time. It really is quite useless IMO.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
webmaster said:
It is an INSTANTANEOUS mpg gauge. It's trying to tell you what your mileage is AT THAT GIVEN MOMENT in time. It really is quite useless IMO.
I don't think it's completely useless. At the least you can use it as a RELATIVE gauge... it'll show you when you're using more or less gas.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I hate looking at it. It always makes me want to slow down and lay off the throttle when I really don't want to.

A Kanuck divided against itself cannot stand...so the practical side just gives in to the fun loving faster accellerating side. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
KraxyKanuck said:
I hate looking at it. It always makes me want to slow down and lay off the throttle when I really don't want to.

A Kanuck divided against itself cannot stand...so the practical side just gives in to the fun loving faster accellerating side. :)

if you would actually use the gauge accurately you would know that slowing down doesn't affect your mpg much unless you drive recklessly of course. maintaining a constant speed is your best bet...

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
BigEshake said:
if you would actually use the gauge accurately you would know that slowing down doesn't affect your mpg much unless you drive recklessly of course. maintaining a constant speed is your best bet...
Yeah... I noticed that myself as well. I used to drive to work at about 130 km/h... but now that the fuel prices went up... I decided to drop the speed by about 20 km/h. But then I noticed that the fuel consumption was about the same! (just under 10L/100km) I did notice the fuel consumption drop when I reduced my speed to 100km/h though. Then (or slightly below) fuel consumption would drop to 7.5L/100km. But it's so boring driving at 90km/h. :(

Sometimes I just say "To Hell With It!"... and ignore the gauge and just push like hell. But then I remember the $1.30 per litre and slow down again. :lol:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Fill your tank up full, reset the trip odometer...See how many miles you can go before the fuel light comes on...When it goes on, fill gas...Take into account how many gallons it takes to fill and divide it by the miles on your trip odometer..
e.g. 300 miles till fuel light comes on, 15.0 gal of gas divide = 20 mpg..
Thats the only way to find out how many mpg you're getting...That MPG gage is useless IMO..

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Most stock gauges are useless, this is just more useless than most. It has a very initial cool factor, but is gets old fast, then you are just stuck looking at it go up and down.

Is the voltmeter really telling us anything? Uh, oh honey I'm not putting out 14.4 anymore now it is 13.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Squareback said:
Most stock gauges are useless, this is just more useless than most. It has a very initial cool factor, but is gets old fast, then you are just stuck looking at it go up and down.

Is the voltmeter really telling us anything? Uh, oh honey I'm not putting out 14.4 anymore now it is 13.
The fuel economy gauge isn't useless... it tells you INSTANTANEOUS fuel consumption... meaning how much fuel you are burning at that moment in time. It can remind you to let off the throttle. If you want overall fuel consumption then do what the person above said. Take the distance travelled between now and your last fill up... then divide it by the amount of gas used to fill up the car now.

The voltmeter is something I DO NOT get any use out of however. To me that's absolutely useless. I mean it would only dip if something is horrendously wrong with your electrical system right?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts