Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am going to be going to Syracuse University in the fall and I was wondering what the weather would do to my car. Would the salt and freezing temperatures ruin my car and if so should I just get a beater, or sell it altogether and get a truck? (selling it would be a sad day :( )

I currently am in So-Cal so I have absolutely NO idea what kind of damage snow will bring. I have been asking people and been getting mixed answers so I figured that this forum would work as a tie-breaker haha.

Thanks for reading and, if you do, responding! I got the right forum this time!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Rust, rust, and more rust.. the only way I could see avoiding it was if you stored the IS in the winter and drove a beater around on the snowy/slushy/icy days.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, well if this turns out to be the majority opinion I guess I will probably be selling my IS-250.. still had a list of mods I wanted to put on as well .

Again though, thanks.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Yea chinaman has a point.. I see a good amount of snow here in the MW and my IS is my DD. As long as you take the time and wash your car to get rid of the nasty stuff, your going to be fine. It's only a temporary move anyway right?

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
Well, welcome to NY ahead (5 months to go, before ur move) of time. Your IS250 will be fine in up in Syracuse, good set of snow tires and regular wash with undercarriage treatment, you'll be good to go in the winter months.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I went to the 'cuse, what program are you going into?

I had my IS for a year out there. I did garage it though, which I HIGHLY recommend. You're not going to want to park it in the dorm lots, even if they let you, since spaces are so tight. Plowing is generally good, but there are A LOT of hills, and SU sits on a hill to begin with, so it can be very nerve racking trying to go up icy hills. I never had snow tires, but they would have been nice.

I had to take some very creative routes around sometimes. a few of the roads around campus are in terrible condition, and there are lots of narrow streets that end up as one-ways when people park, so you have to watch out for those.

For a college campus, people in general are respectful to cars, but parking is tight as it is anywhere. I didn't get any scratches or dings, but I know plenty of people who did. You'll figure out where to park and where not to park. If you're a freshman, chances are your car will end up in the manley lot unless you get the absurdly priced garage pass. its about a 1/6 mile walk from mount olympus (THE BEST FRESHMAN DORMS... GO FOR DAY OR FLINT). When I was there freshman couldn't have cars up there.

the whole rust thing is blown out of proportion in snow belt states, so don't worry about that, but I would consider what I wrote above, since I was at syracuse! Having a car in any college situation is something to think long and hard about. I wouldn't have brought mine out there if I didn't have a garage for it.

Also, there are a lot of nice cars at SU. lots of BMWs, MBs, Porsches, Audis, etc... you don't see a lot of IS300s, but there were a few IS250 AWDs. so its not like it would stand out or attract attention, which I know some people are cautious of.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm going into Mechanical Engineering :)

Thanks! that does help A LOT, did you have to rent a garage?

For the undercarriage, are there places that have undercarriage washes? or would I just hose it down as best as I can?

And yeah, as it stands now the move will be temporary (only way it wouldn't would be if I got a good job haha).

Also, they still don't allow freshmen to drive to Syracuse, I am just finding this out now. If the salt would ruin my car I and I decided to sell it I don't want it to lose more value :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I grew up a block off of SUs campus, and my parents still live there, and if you simply clean your car regularly, you won't get rust. My mom's car is almost 20 years old and has no rust.

1. after your drive there, get a good wash/wax, and get one right before it starts snowing (Oct, Nov).

2. Get a good snowbrush and all season or snow tires.

3. simply take the car to a brushless wash during the winter as you see fit. Most newer carwashes will have the underbody sprayer, so that takes care of salt. Spend the extra $3 and get all that wax/shine stuff. It can't hurt.

4. Once it's stopped snowing and it seems like the salt is gone off the road, get a good wash/wax again. A good wax will last a few months.

Your car should come with at least a 10 year rust warranty. I know my IS300 did.

I coach a ski team and travel a lot during the winter, and my car has been literally so caked with salt that I can no longer see out of the side windows. You just have to remember to wash it regularly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts