Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, im moving over to Newport Beach, CA in about a month from Chicago, IL and i figured id hit up the forums to see if i will run into any issues when i get new plates and registration, blah blah blah...

I have passed emissions in IL with NO problems but i know CALI is anal about emission now...

I have the following mods:
- K&N intake
-SAFC 2 Unit
-Toyomoto Headers & Y-pipe
-HKS Hyper Exhaust

I DONT HAVE A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!!

Should i just try and get it passed and see what happens?
IF it FAILS how long do i have till i get FINED

Any Emission places you recommend? (aka FLEXIBLE lol)

IM SUPER EXCITED TO START GOING TO MEETS OUT HERE
HELP A FELLOW ISer OUT PLS.. WILL REP...

xoxoxo

PS. MY.IS needs a built-in Spell check... :)

·
Fokai 1008
2,472 Posts
k&n carb legal version? as for the headers and y pipe you will fail the vis inspection. but you dont get fined, if you ave family in chicago just keep it registerd there

And yes my.is needs a spell check

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Agree with Adam on this. Stay registered in IL if you can, that way you have the freedom to mod to your desire haha. If your air/fuel ratio stays around 14.7 throughout your rpm range then you should be okay - emissions wise, but visually they'll fail you for the headers and exhaust.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUESTION ???

If i don't register my car in CA, then i wouldn't be able to get new CA plates (right?)
... which means my car would get tickets because of the IL plates...???

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
ull fail the visual for the ypipe and header and maybe the sniffer. like stated keep it registered in il if u can or find a good shop.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
its not against the law to drive a car from another state in cali

·
Registered
633 Posts
its not against the law to drive a car from another state in cali
That is true, but that's if your passing through. If you stay here more then few months you have to get CA plates.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya, ive been out here for about 4 months, and ive decided i'll be here for at least 6-8 more months and i need to have a car for school.

I guess i'll maybe swap out the Intake for the OEM, to make it look for Stock on the outside. Headers are heat wrapped so maybe they will just over look them, or i'll buy a heat-shield.

I have stock headers/exhaust but don't want to haul them all the way to CA. At the same time i dont want to come out here get a fail SMOG test, and then have them shipped over to CA for IL just to pass.

Am I just over reacting? Ive been up research the web(forums) for hours and hours trying to find shops that will pass me with the best luck.

Thnx All!

·
Registered
825 Posts
intake wise , you should be fine as long as you have the carb legal sticker

·
Registered
158 Posts
You wont find the *special* shops that would pass you for some extra $$ in any public forum. Cops check around and for sure the members are not going to post the location of those *special* shops lol. Anyways I sent u a pm of where to search, not gonna post it here cuz of cops.

·
Fokai 1008
2,472 Posts
If his car has outta state paltes and he has a outta state drivers license you cant get a ticket..Ive lived in california since jan1st 2002 and i didnt get a california DL till 2008 , and the only reason i got caught was because i bought a car from cali , put it under my name and never got the cali DL. got pulled over and the cop impounded my subie for not having a current DL since i now had a cali address

·
Registered
424 Posts
Your intake should pass the visual as long as it has the C.A.R.B sticker on it.

My mods are
Injen intake
XERD Race pipe,that had a cat but gutted. so it looks like it has a cat. I should try going to a "fail and dont pay" stations with the xerd. (y-pipe) For the test. i switched my stock one in before the test
APEXi N1 cat back.

for the exhaust, it passed visual and exhaust doesnt effect emissions.

try going to a dont pass no pay station.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
^ Truth to that. Also, you should be fine with the intake. If you don't have the carb sticker, you can contact K&N and they can mail you a replacement. I believe you have to show photos of the intake installed on the IS300 along with VIN and registration. Free of charge!

I would only be worried with the header. I also have an aftermarket Y-Pipe and have passed inspection at a lot of spots. I think the header is the dead give away where I would probably swap back to stock if I were you. Unless you find those special shops willing to pass you. :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts